• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where is everyone

MJ1657

Woke up to -15deg this morning. When your fishing alone it's hard to get motivated at that temp. So I opted to go back to bed. I need to do some work in the shop anyways. Figure once the fire get things warm I will cut some fins and blanks. I have 15 carved and scaled waiting on fins. Need to get caught up.

Wanderer has been waiting on a decoy for a year now. Should probably start that one again. I used the original blank for one of the get to gator trophies. 

I'd rather be fishing. But at least u have a hobby to fall back on. 

On 2/13/2016 at 10:15 AM, Neighbor_guy said:

Wanderer has been waiting on a decoy for a year now. Should probably start that one again. I used the original blank for one of the get to gator trophies. 

Yeah, not having that ONE has kept my spearing motivation down this year...:P

At least the clear coat will have all gassed off by the time I get to try it next year!

image.thumb.jpeg.32bdcfa2c744feb36cb2562image.thumb.jpeg.ff9696fa9a0347d87975100image.thumb.jpeg.a86ab6e3d4c54e414251d14The East Central chapter MDAA is teaching BOW at Deep Portage this weekend. It's an event we look forward to every year. 

image.thumb.jpeg.868901915aa08705deb0473

I honestly don't know who has more fun. The women who attend the event, Mollie and goose who act as our assistants, or the those of us lucky enough to teach it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c731a82e5fb91f9114d27b3image.thumb.jpeg.ee780eff274dcf8f77372fd

Good job guys and gals. :cool:

I tried the river by my house but haven't quite figured out that game yet.  More testing needed.

image.thumb.jpeg.8e38d856c8353c666696ac7

She's a bit cloudy from the rain.

Plenty of ice though!  It was a bugger pulling my blocks by myself.

image.thumb.jpeg.9429b5b193a289015f3be04

I hope to get back on the ice on the last day of the spearing season.  Good luck everyone.

Wanderer,

I spear a river sometimes and we have found you have to be almost in completely slack water. like a dead end attached bay or slough but you have to be close to where it meets current. Look me up at banquet and I can show you what I mean river pike decoy very well and tend to run a little larger.

Mwal

Thanks!  And I'll gladly listen to any tips you have.

I've drilled around the eddy in front of my house trying to find the current seam or that slack water but it's tough to find - and it moves.  In the pic, my house is no more than 10 feet from shore but over 6-7 feet of water.  I was trying to find the head of the eddy.  Where I really wanted to be was closer to the open water and where water was on the ice.

This is the first time I've been able to fish the eddy this winter since its been socked in with slush until now.  Seriously, 10 - 13 fow and so much slush UNDER the ice I can get my transducer or a 1/2 ounce sinker through it.  Not until I was in solid current did it run clean.  It's been interesting to say the least.