• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where is everyone

MJ1657

It's rare for me to not be on the ice on a Sunday. After fighting the cold out there yesterday I just can't make myself do it. 

I wish we had better ice conditions and it wasn't getting so late in the season or I'd have my big house out. Open the door, fire up the heat, clean out the hole and get to spearing. 

Oh well..... 

I'm right there with you. Goose and I talked about dragging my house out and setting it today. 

After looking at -18 on the thermometer I've opted for an afternoon of coffee and decoy work. 

Mid a guy could just drive up and turn on the heat it would make life in the spear shack much nicer. 

Edited by Neighbor_guy

The fact that so many lakes down here are dirty that you can't see more than a few feet and really bad ice, or lack of ice, and the cold temp. makes it that much harder to get the get-up and go thing.  Too many other things are making this year very busy.

I'm suddenly feeling like I'm not the only one NOT out there!

This is the first night I've used the office space and WiFi in our new house so what better way to spent some quality sleep time than catching up a little on the forums?  4 day on a new cold and my nose just stopped running enough to type...

I am thinking of the two perfect shops I could set up to try this decoy carving sport.  Looking at the Carver's Corner thread could just push me over the edge!

I might finally try the river by my house Saturday morning since our company isn't showing up till afternoon.  I think I've done enough work to earn a couple hours out!  Off to Alabama Sunday morning for work training and not back till next Saturday night.  I guess another weekend goes down the tubes.

Thanks all for giving me some stuff to read and start getting my head straight again! :D

On 1/18/2016 at 4:27 PM, hawkeye43 said:

I got thinking today when I was cutting a new spear hole, It maybe that we are all getting to old for this spearing thing. It just isn't as much fun as it was when I was younger.

Soon enough you'll have grand kids old enough to help out. 

11 hours ago, mrklean said:

The weather is looking awesome for fishing for the next 10+ days who is going out this weekend I haven't been out in almost 3 weeks I might not be able to sleep tonight

If I can get all my work done I'm going to try and get out this afternoon or tomorrow.

That stinks. :(

i fished at home today. It's a freeze out lake that bottoms out about 9' deep or so. Entire lake to myself. Loved it. Never seen or missed so many fish ever!!! They were so little!!! But it was a lot of fun. Did my part to remove a few hammer handles. 

Never had to set the hook on a tip up fish. I learned after last weekend, just pull back slow. Fish would just be holding onto the bait. Skinny little punks. 

I tried spearing last year for the first time on the last weekend of spear season and loved it.  Cutting the ice was no fun since we set up three houses at one time.  This year I bought all of my own stuff so I could go out on my own and my daughter could come too.  It has been amazing and a great learning experience to say the least.  Now my daughter is hooked and is finally willing to get up in the morning to go fishing.

We have had the best luck with using a spinning spoon and a decoy sucker or just one of them.  On the lakes I am spearing the best was last week when I was done in 15 minutes.  Other times I have gone out and seen 13 fish in an hour.  Not all the time but most of the time I will see 5 or six fish in two hours and with that kind of action sitting with two in the house is better than sitting alone.

Wednesday the water was murky and it was snowing so the fishing was really slow.  I let my buddy spear the three fish that were the right size and just watched until we went crappie fishing.  Thursday was much better with clear water and sunshine.

Are the decoys perhaps better than spoons and live suckers on cloudy or murky water days?  Also does the floor help with the fishing or just the comfort level in a hub style house?

I think the decoy deal is hit or miss depending on the day. I do use bright colored decoys in cloudy water. 

Floor will help keep the house darker. Makes it easier to see in cloudy water. 

Welcome to the sport. 

I haven't posted much this year but I have been getting out with little success.  Took a friend from work out spearing last weekend to show him the ropes.  He speared his first fish which was the only pike we saw all day, but he was happy and is hooked now.  Went out twice this weekend, Saturday saw a couple muskies but no pike.  Went to a different lakes yesterday saw a bunch of sunnies and blugills, and finally when I was about ready to leave I got a nice one between 33 and 34".    That is only the 3rd fish I have speared this season, so I was happy to get a fish on the ice and some meat in the freezer.

Have we got the lake and the date set for the last GTG for this year?

Bowhunt

4 hours ago, bowhunt said:

I haven't posted much this year but I have been getting out with little success.  Took a friend from work out spearing last weekend to show him the ropes.  He speared his first fish which was the only pike we saw all day, but he was happy and is hooked now.  Went out twice this weekend, Saturday saw a couple muskies but no pike.  Went to a different lakes yesterday saw a bunch of sunnies and blugills, and finally when I was about ready to leave I got a nice one between 33 and 34".    That is only the 3rd fish I have speared this season, so I was happy to get a fish on the ice and some meat in the freezer.

Have we got the lake and the date set for the last GTG for this year?

Bowhunt

It's been tough to get anything going with the poor ice conditions this year. I know the rest of the season is fairly  busy for the guys in my area. Bow event and our first banquet for the EC Mdaa on the 27th. (I'll put a post up about that soon)

Like MJ said, it's been hard to plan anything with the sketchy ice we've had. And getting schedules to line up has been difficult as well  

I will toss out a compromise...

Sunday Feb 14th is the last "Second Sunday" event the East Central MDAA is hosting this year. Possibly the last one we hold ever as we are considering other options for next season. On fish lake in Harris.

Several of us will be out there already. We would be more than happy to welcome a bunch more. After all it's about getting together and hanging out more than anything. 

Not really a formal get together. Just a chance for everyone to get together on a Sunday. Just an option...

Edited by Neighbor_guy