• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterfowl Photos

Well, I had probably the most memorable opener to date. For some reason, our party of four decided to break tradition and split up for the day. I'd gotten to the slough early and had set up before everyone else showed. One uncle went to the east, the other two hopped in their kayaks and shot out toward the other end of the water. I was kind of stuck in the middle. After they'd shot for a bit, I was getting a tad discouraged. Didn't help that the wind was out of the totally wrong direction. My pup was on his first legitimate duck hunt, and I was hoping just to get him on a retrieve or two.

Then, around 8 a.m. the ducks began dropping in. I shot my 6 in 30 minutes and Remy retrieved every one, including a beautiful almost fully green drake mallard that was sporting three curls already. I was proud!

Remy retrieving his first duck (hen redhead):

IMG_0816.jpg

Customary tailgate shot:

IMG_0817.jpg

We decided to switch things up for Sunday and hunt some flooded timber around a big lake. Uncles had seen "thousands of birds" there the night before, so we figured it was worth a shot (plus we'd have dry shore to sit on instead of standing in cattails and thigh-high muck). Long story short, the magnitute of birds failed to reappear. But we did do something a tad out of the norm by Nodak standards: we shot three drake woodies! It was a hoot, and my GWP made two more awesome retrieves. Just that made my weekend.

Arkansas-inspired Nodak flooded timer hunt:

IMG_0823.jpg

Remy's prize woody:

IMG_0826.jpg

Yeah, two of us shot 11 of these the last weekend of early goose, usually shoot a few of these every September when the first NW winds hit and cooler temps arrive. Also sometimes later in the fall but I prefer shooting big geese, although Cacklers are fun to call in especially big flocks and little dumber from my experience.

full-9846-12697-copyofcopyofimg_20110917

If your talking the pic with my son in it its the same dog but I have a Black lab also but thats mamas dog and she doesnt hunt well thats what I'm told shes a great retriever but wont touch anything with feathers.. I could probably breaker of that but mama said NO so I got the chocoalte

There was some shooting going on and I did see some other birds but not very many I saw way more on monday morning on the same bodu of water. thinking of traveling tonight to a new body of water