• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Senators Seek Moratorium on Wolf Hunting in Minn.

bd477

Quote:
A high-profile group of Minnesota senators is backing a five-year moratorium on sport hunting and trapping of wolves in Minnesota.

The chief sponsor is Majority Whip Chris Eaton, D-Brooklyn Center. The cosponsors include Minority Leader David Hann, R-Eden Prairie, and Senate President Sandra Pappas, D-St. Paul.

Minnesota wolves were taken off the endangered list last year, and hunting and trapping resumed last fall.

Maureen Hackett, founder of Howling for Wolves, says they're trying to restore a five-year moratorium that used to be in state law for when wolves came off the list. Lawmakers canceled it when they authorized the hunt last year, citing years of delays caused by court battles over lifting the federal protections.

No hearing has been scheduled, and no companion bill has been introduced in the House.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S2939174.shtml?cat=1

Looks like the outta state activist pressure is getting to them.

UPDATED...

An influential group of Minnesota senators is backing a five-year moratorium on sport hunting and trapping of wolves in Minnesota.

The chief sponsor is Majority Whip Chris Eaton, D-Brooklyn Center. The co-sponsors include Minority Leader David Hann, R-Eden Prairie, Senate President Sandra Pappas, D-St. Paul, and Sens. David Senjem, R-Rochester, and Terri Bonoff, D-Minnetonka, according to a news release Thursday from Howling for Wolves.

Minnesota wolves were taken off the endangered list last year, and hunting and trapping resumed last fall.

Maureen Hackett, founder of Howling for Wolves, said they're trying to restore a five-year moratorium that used to be in state law for when wolves came off the list. Lawmakers lifted the moratorium when they authorized the hunt last year, citing years of delays caused by court battles over lifting the federal protections.

Hunters and trappers killed 413 wolves during the recently ended season. Hackett points out that state figures show farmers and property owners legally killed another 298 for predator control last year. The figures don't include poaching, road kills or deaths from disease.

No hearing date has been scheduled, and no companion bill has been introduced in the House.

The Department of Natural Resources says Minnesota's wolf population is stable at around 3,000 and can withstand the hunting, trapping and predator control that the state allows under its wolf management plan.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S2939174.shtml?cat=1

It is funny everytime you read one of these articles, it says "wolves killed" rather then taken, or hunted. But "Killed" like if they are humans.

When you read a deer hunting article, does it read 100,000 deers killed this year?

notice where they are a from ? where there are no wolves ! talk to the people who live in wolf country...dragging your pets out of the yard .small chidren around wolves with no fear .worry about your cities and not up north .there are way more wolves then they think.try to balance the budget first then worry about wolves!

"Harvest" conveys utilization and is the popular term amongst wildlife professionals and resources managers. "Kill" is the buzzword the antis like to use. Since there is a purpose behind a wolf hunting season, I don't see it as killing. I can't believe a few Senators, without a dog in the fight pardon the pun, are rooting around in something they know nothing about. But that's politics for you. A bunch of (mostly lawyers) people that think they know everything about everything.

notice where they are a from ? where there are no wolves ! talk to the people who live in wolf country...dragging your pets out of the yard .small chidren around wolves with no fear .worry about your cities and not up north .there are way more wolves then they think.try to balance the budget first then worry about wolves!

That was the first thing I noticed. Remember, the big city liberals always know what is best for outstate Minnesota.

There is a combination of D's and R's in that list. Its not only liberals involved in this bill. Unfortunately, the two R's are both heads of their groups. Hahn is considered one of the most conservative R's in the state.

Despite all of that, I know that David Hahn is my senator and I plan to call him and tell him my opinion on this bill as well as my opinion that they have more important things to be working on that the wolf hunt.

The location of these reps. just made me laugh!! Let the reps from Wolf country decide if they need to overstep the DNR. These types of interest groups and the reps that listen to them are the reasons our government just spins its wheels on important issues...

There is a combination of D's and R's in that list. Its not only liberals involved in this bill. Unfortunately, the two R's are both heads of their groups. Hahn is considered one of the most conservative R's in the state.

Despite all of that, I know that David Hahn is my senator and I plan to call him and tell him my opinion on this bill as well as my opinion that they have more important things to be working on that the wolf hunt.

i thought i read that the R's removed thier names from the bill.

There shouldn't be an ounce of wasted time in regards to our wolf season. A bunch of deer and moose were saved as a result as well as maybe a few less depredation cases. The federal trappers became way too busy with wolves in MN. And the packs started showing up in areas I'm not sure suit them too well.

They don't have a clue! and should stick to representing where they are elected. As you wrote they have more important things to deal with than this.

At least there was some common sense in this court hearing. next time who knows.

One sure gets tired of some of these elected officials that are more concerned about something not near them versus some common sense governemnt.

How many times can they take it to court? Nice that govt. money continues to be spent on these frivolous suits. Here is an idea make them pay for the court costs if they lose, for some reason I bet they would not continue with them.

Buying billboards all along 94 and 494 having trucks drive around the cities with billboards on them protesting the hunt you think a bunch of poor granola eaters were pooling money to do that no those groups have deep pockets with big names making large donations