• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is everybody seeing for rut action?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friends 15 year old son shot a big 10 pointer this morning in the 3B gun season. It was chasing a doe hard. I just got home from stand. My favorite spot just hasn't been good in the morning. On the way home though I saw a 150" 10 pointer standing over a doe in a woodlot right off the road.

It has been a strange season...I went out this morning and had one of the 8 pt. bucks I had on camera come down the trail after I had moved from a ground blind into a tree stand.

He was definitely moving my way after I had can called earlier in the morning.

My initial reaction from this summer was that he's a year away, and seeing him this morning confirmed it. The fact that my bow was still attached to my pull-up rope made it easier to make that decision. grin

I hadn't seen this deer all fall until today, so it was good to see that he has survived--so far.

Saw some activity in the back yard on Saturday morning. Watched an 8 pointer, who appeared to have a large hitch in his giddy-up, chasing a doe behind my house. Went out on the deck and grunted at him a few times and he came to see if I was competition for his lady. It didn't look like he had been shot so I am guessing a car or fight injured him. If I didn't live in city limits I would have stuck him with an arrow off the deck.

Speaking of rut action a good friend told me or asked Why do we have an open gun season during the rut ? He said other states don't but my readings on here from SD claimed every doe was followed by a rutting buck and the new Wisc. picture stated he was trailing a doe, he said it seems all the tv hunts the hunters state the rut is on etc. etc. I said bow hunters want that as well as any guy that sits a fishhouse on stilts because they have a heat option. Anyway, we're still seeing rut action in MN so how far along the rut progression would it take to not be hunting a part of the rut, I'm sure a cold year and the youth would love to be frozen during the hunt, yes it would save a few deer. Push Muzzy back into January ? My rut report is a school bus driver said he watched a buck hound a doe this morning, today so this wkd hunters you never know, could be your turn to cash in smile !

When I really analyze this rut thing, I think I'd be really concentrating on where there's a decent amount of does and fawns, then again that could be the wrong thing to do if they're all bred. Hit and Miss, I had a doe fawn come into heat sorta late one year and got the nice buck dogging her, boy was I surprised to see a buck chasing a fawn, only time I ever have, that little runt went right by me, I peek down the fenceline and here he comes. Good luck, tagging a large MN buck now is a good challenge for anybody, less of em, nocturnal, no real need yet, but that's going to change soon to really eat up heavy.

Speaking of rut action a good friend told me or asked Why do we have an open gun season during the rut ? He said other states don't but my readings on here from SD claimed every doe was followed by a rutting buck and the new Wisc. picture stated he was trailing a doe, he said it seems all the tv hunts the hunters state the rut is on etc. etc. I said bow hunters want that as well as any guy that sits a fishhouse on stilts because they have a heat option. Anyway, we're still seeing rut action in MN so how far along the rut progression would it take to not be hunting a part of the rut, I'm sure a cold year and the youth would love to be frozen during the hunt, yes it would save a few deer. Push Muzzy back into January ? My rut report is a school bus driver said he watched a buck hound a doe this morning, today so this wkd hunters you never know, could be your turn to cash in smile !

Wasn't it two years ago where the bucks started losing their antlers in late december? How would that work with moving the Muzzy season back?

Wasn't it two years ago where the bucks started losing their antlers in late december? How would that work with moving the Muzzy season back?

Theres bucks loosing their antlers every year in December, but that percentage increases the worse the conditions.

A January muzzy season would mean a lot of shed bucks getting shot... especially the biggest bucks, run down, coming to food. They are always the first to shed. That would be a sad deal to shoot a "big doe" only to find "she" has pop-can size holes in her head.... and a pecker! eek

Fawns don't even get bred until about right now, also the does that did get bred but didn't get pregnant cycle again 28 days or so later.

In reality there are does being bred from last week of Oct. up to end of Dec. I think the beginning and the end is the best time, right when the first ones are about to go into estrous and the very end where a few here and there are but the bucks are searching for them last ones.

I don't have any reports my last couple sits have been pretty silent, tough hunting this time of year. If a guy has the patience to sit for a long time in the right spot he still has a good of a chance as any to get a big buck.

Anyone having any action recently?

My brother works as a state trooper and has been in touch with some CO's around the metro and yesterday they told him there has been a lot of rut activity being noticed north metro. Some more vehicle deer collisions reported due to "chasing"