• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wolf Hunt Reports

leech~~

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't ID a wolf vs. coyote please stop hunting immediately, actually just don't shoot, from the stand though who knows but it shouldn't matter, you can shoot yotes and if you have a wolf tag it's irrelevant, shoot him, go get him if it's a yote that's ok, head back with it to your stand and keep hunting, just never shoot 2 without checking what it is if you aren't 100% positive, if it's a wolf that's ok to tag him up and you're done.

I had an opportunity to see two that were taken this past weekend, one in east central zone and one out of Itasca county. One was a younger female and one was a mature male. Watched the local wildlife manager take a tooth from each, tissue sample and they take the genitalia from the females that way they can check if they have had pups in the past. Both of the hunters harvested them while deer hunting and both of them looked at me like I was crazy asking them if they planned on eating some of it. Imagine it to be pretty gamey, has anyone here eaten wolf?

Kettle

I can well understand the looks you received from the hunters. I will assume your question is sincere and respond this way. Of all the stories I have heard of life in the north country, survival stories that make you cringe, stories of people eating their mukluks and snowshoe bindings, unconfirmed stories of cannabalism, I have NEVER heard of anybody eating a wolf. Not one bite. Nary a nibble. No stew, no soup no hash and no roasts.

So, generally speaking, no-people do not eat wolves.

Now, a slow roasted young coyote....that's another story.

No. I be silly.

I'm sure it is good eating. Lot's of cultures across the world eat dogs. Only reason it's so odd for our culture is because we have made the dog man's best friend and a household companion. Hence, the craziness from the opposition involved with the begining of this hunt. It's why the wolf is propped so high on a pedestal in this country. It's the wild cousin of our favorite pet.

Saw 8 wolves the past 2 weeks. 2 loner wolves and a 6 pack opening morning of rifle season. All 6 were within 50 yards, one came about 5 yards from my tree, I whistled at it and made a few other mouth noises, it looked up at me, startled a little and just continued on. All the wolf sightings came within 5 minutes of having deer run 100 mph past me. Cant wait to get home again for the actual wolf hunt!

Go over to the deer hunting threads here at FM. Forum member NoWiser nailed a huge 117 lb male and has the pics on there. Just look, you will find it.

No, I don't know how to make a link.

DD

It's called Wolf Hunt Results. DTro started it before I had seen his and then started this one. whistle

full-10392-26436-wolf.jpg

Here is a picture of one a coworker of my son shot. I hunt 30 miles north of Duluth and walked up on a pack of four last week looking over a gut pile and they looked me over pretty close. Got within 30 yards. After we had the pack go through our area our group did not see a hair for three days.

Also saw a big one just south of Eveleth four weeks ago. There numbers are definately up.

110 + and counting is the tally, my gut feeling is there are more around then many give credit for, you hear this 3,000 number thrown around, who knows, but thankfully the hunt is on. I'd like to know what they think the population is in Ottertail county, the federal trappers there can't keep up. They got a dozen by a good friend of mines place and the trapper said he didn't even make a dent in the population.

Checked the map and yes the main issue for my relatives, anyway they're in the huntable/trapping zone thankfully, I wish though maybe they had a SW zone, but hey beggers can't be choosers, glad we have a season.

your relatives don't need a liscence to shoot wolves on their property in ottertail county. shoot a wolf, call the CO, he picks it up. shoot a wolf call a CO, he picks it up. can go on and on. landowners can protect their property in a non wolf zone in other words in a place wolves aren't supposed to be, been that way for years.