• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wolf Hunt Reports

leech~~

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just confused non, so last year any land owner in MN could blast as many wolves as they wanted ? Then why have a season or are you saying out of the wolf zones ? Some 1 clarify. So my dad could've opened fire as he had 1 in his front yard ? Wouldn't he have faced shooting a protected species, federally protected ?

Big disagreement here. My understanding is that now if you are not in the wolf zone and have a wolf in your yard or pasture you can "protect your property" and shoot it. You don't get the hide or anything other than a quick picture if you get it before the CO gets there to pick it up. But that is certainly NOT the way it was for "years." Before the wolves were given to the state to manage, if you shot one in any situation other than if was attacking you, you faced federal charges and would be prosecuted. It was a shame but even if a pack of wolves was taking down your prized show horse, all you could do was try to scare them away.

This is from the DNR HSOforum:

Can I shoot a wolf to protect my livestock or pet?

Owners of livestock, guard animals or domestic animals may shoot or destroy wolves that pose an immediate threat to their animals, on property they own or lease in accordance with local statutes.

“Immediate threat” means the observed behavior of a wolf in the act of stalking, attacking, or killing livestock, a guard animal, or a domestic pet under the supervision of the owner.

Additionally, the owner of a domestic pet may shoot or destroy a wolf posing an immediate threat on any property, as long as the owner is supervising the pet.

In all cases, a person shooting or destroying a wolf under these provisions must protect all evidence, and report the taking to a DNR conservation officer within 48 hours. The wolf carcass will be surrendered to the conservation officer.

Use the Conservation Officer Locator and leave a recorded message 24/7.

End

I don't believe this has any restrictions as to what zone you are in? Would hope not anyway.

I have read that farmers/ranchers get reimbursed for the livestock they loose. Would be interesting to know how much the state paid over the years for that. Hopefully with the hunt this year they will become a little more wary of people etc.

10 4 guys, I read the local paper recently about a wolf that attacked a grouse hunters dogs/ then chased them right up to the owner and he dropped it at 2 yards away, the CO stated because it was nearly self-defense he wasn't issued a ticket or citation. So I can't imagine my dad throwing lead at that wolf would've been ok.

number 4. it's been this way for over 10 years thats why i said years.

Gray Wolf (Canis lupus)

Summary of Minnesota's State Law Pertaining to Wolf Management

HF 3046, as passed by the Legislature and signed by Governor Ventura

Contrary to much discussion in the media, this law is not a wolf management plan. It changes existing state statutes to give the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) the authority necessary to manage gray wolves, specifies how wolves may be legally taken in Minnesota, and requires the development of a wolf management plan. It does not include any wolf population goals, habitat protection features, or population or health monitoring requirements; these presumably will be included in the wolf management plan the DNR is directed to develop. Most of the provisions of this bill can be implemented by the State only after Federal delisting of the gray wolf has been completed.

Management Plan.The Departments of Natural Resources, in consultation with the Department of Agriculture, shall develop a wolf management plan with the goals of (1) ensuring the long-term survival of the wolf in Minnesota, (2) reducing wolf-human conflicts, (3) minimizing wolf depredation on livestock and domestic pets, and (4) manage the ecological impact of wolves on their prey and other predators.

Compensation. The owner of livestock killed by a wolf, or livestock so injured by a wolf that they must be destroyed, shall be compensated at the fair market value of the animals.

Zones. Minnesota is divided into Zone A and Zone B. (Map of zones, courtesy of MN DNR) Zone A consists of Wolf Management Zones 1-4 in the Federal Recovery Plan for the Eastern Timber Wolf and is roughly the northeastern one-third of Minnesota. It is estimated that about 90 percent of Minnesota's wolves are in Zone A. Zone B is identical to Wolf Management Zone 5 in the 1992 Federal Recovery Plan and includes about 64 percent of the State. (In earlier versions of this legislation these zones were called the Gray Wolf Zone and the Agriculture Zone.)

Taking of Wolves.The taking or harassment of gray wolves in Minnesota is allowed as follows. (Taking of wolves in any other manner is a gross misdemeanor.)

1. Taking in defense of human life - Wolves may be taken by any person anywhere in the State in defense of the person's own life or the life of another person.

2. Harassment to discourage wolves from contact or association with people or domestic animals - Wolves may be harassed anywhere in the State if they are within 500 yards of people, buildings, dogs, livestock, or other domestic animals. Injuring wolves is prohibited. Wolves may not be purposely attracted, tracked, or searched out in order to harass them.

3. Taking to eliminate immediate threat to livestock, guard animals, or domestic pets - Wolves may be taken anywhere in the State by the owner or the owner's agent if the wolf is in the act of stalking, attacking, or killing livestock, guard animals, or domestic animals and pets (in the case of a pet, the wolf may be taken only by the owner of the pet). Livestock or guard animals must be on property owned, leased, or occupied by the owner of the animals. Domestic pets must be under the supervision of the owner. Following such taking of a wolf as a result of threats to livestock or guard animals, the county extension agent shall recommend livestock best management practices that are needed to prevent future depredations; carrying out those practices is voluntary.

4. Taking to protect animals in Zone B - Wolves may be taken in Zone B at any time to protect a person's livestock, domestic animals, or pets by (1) shooting them on land owned, leased, or managed by the person or by (2) employing a certified predator control trapper, who may trap wolves on such land, or within one mile of such land.

5. Taking in Depredation Control Areas - If wolf depredation (mortalities) on livestock, domestic animals, or pets is verified and if the owner requests wolf control, the DNR Commissioner shall open a predator control area, not exceeding a one-mile radius, around the depredation site. Taking of wolves in the depredation control area must be done by state-certified predator controllers, who may be paid $150 by the State for each wolf taken.

In Zone A - The depredation control area is open for up to 60 days, and can only be reopened if additional wolf depredation is verified.

In Zone B - Verified wolf depredation (mortalities) of livestock, domestic animals, or pets within the previous five years can open a predator control area for the remainder of the calendar year. The owner can request reopening the area in subsequent years if still within five years of the verified depredation.

Cooperative Agreement with U.S. Department of Agriculture, Wildlife Services. DNR may develop an agreement to have USDA Wildlife Services control problem wolves, conduct training for state predator controllers, and perform other functions.

Reporting Wolf Takings. All takings of gray wolves, except as done by certified predator controllers, must be reported to a conservation officer within 48 hours, and all evidence must be protected.

Public Hunting or Trapping.There will be no open season for the trapping or hunting of gray wolves for five years following the Federal delisting of the gray wolf, and then only after public comment.

Hybrid and Captive Wolves. Wolf-dog hybrids may not be released. Captive wolves may not be released without a permit from the DNR

hear all the stories you want, the law is the law. thats why i mentioned rogue co's,ticket happy co's and co's who don't know how to interpret the law, getting a ticket dosen't make you guilty the judge will tell you if your guilty or not.

didn't you make the wolf information meeting last january or febuary at the pp event center? the DNR wolf expert out of grand rapids said everything i'm relating to thats how i know about it and passing it on, in fact he said a wolf in the "b" zone only has to step foot on your land and you can shoot it. read #4 it's the law.

Whatever direction this is going is something I never dreamt about years ago,wolves in the farmland country or I guess what was old zone 4 for deer hunting and not the rogue lone wolf but packs establishing themselves. This is going to change deer hunting big time in the area, it already has. I think a fair amount of groups of hunters in the area once pointed the finger at one another and the 5 tags etc. but now are realizing that had something for sure to do with it but each wolf there has 15 tags for the year and when they first truly arrived these deer were sitting ducks in some of these small properties. All of my uncles stopped feeding deer immediately when their T-cams lit up with wolves, they were lining up the deer for easy pickings by the wolves. Can't wait for the trapping portion to start there as I'll see some really cool pictures forthcoming.

Most people who got a wolf tag actually live in wolf country. I thought there would be a bunch of people who had never seen a wolf getting drawn. Turns out most are from areas with high wolf populations. International falls area had the highest success rate in the lottery.

not me or my dad! we got a moose tag on our first try too! lucky I guess

All of my uncles stopped feeding deer immediately when their T-cams lit up with wolves, they were lining up the deer for easy pickings by the wolves. Can't wait for the trapping portion to start there as I'll see some really cool pictures forthcoming.

Post some of those trail cam pictures !

I am a little late arriving to this thread. I had a wolf tag and didn't see any. A friend hunting in one of my other stands saw 2 chasing a doe opening morning. I picked the wrong stand that day. That's all our crew saw the whole season. Good luck to everyone still hunting and trapping. At least I got my deer.

I went out Sat am and found some fresh tracks in the snow. They also had about 5-6 spots on the trail that they had [PoorWordUsage] on a little pine tree and kicked up the snow and dirt. I could still smell the urine and picked up something that was mostly black. It smelled nasty and realized it must have been some diarrhea from eating deer or something. Heading back out Friday with my new Alpha Howler Call and hoping to get something to come in. I am thinking I was on the farthest east boundry of there territory so am going to try and get in the middle of that and where some locals have been seeing them regularly. I know they have a big range but this area is the most secluded in the area I am hunting. Supposedly the big one is white and the other is Black and silver mixed. I would be surprised if the one is all white but hopefully will get a shot at it.

Well the next time I cross paths with my uncles and or friends in that area will post them, I hope they saved the best ones, they had a really ugly deer season, like they told me how can there be that many wolves in our area when the federal trappers took 24 of them, hunters shot some of them, and the trappers also hit so and so's farm after they killed his pet deer ? I said lucky you ! smile I do believe they'll notice a big reduction in wolf numbers especially after their trappers get in there.

My deer hunting land, was crawling with wolves in early October, during the youth hunt, and the deer were thick in the area too. Then for the late November hunt, no wolves to be found, but the deer were scarce as well. The first weekend there were some howling going on in the back of the bog at nights, but that was only heard the first weekend. This is from Wisconsin, though.

I am not sure on the numbers in Wisconsin that were taken this season so far.

Truthfully, I have no problem with wolves honestly, my biggest concern is selfish I'll admit and it has to do with my large family of hunters and several of them I start to wonder how many deer seasons the guys have left in them, I'm glad they've had as many seasons as they have and certainly an uncle that passed away way too young would love the chance to be here today hunting, wolf or not, deer or not. I'm wishfully thinking I certainly want my uncles deer hunting careers if you want to call it that, to kinda end on a good note, not even getting deer but seeing at least some so there's more to talk about at night like there used to be, the past 3 years or so there hasn't been much to talk about other than wolves. Weird tid-bit from a 1963 huge book on fishing and hunting I re-read for the 1,000th time last night and it stated even back then how hard wolves are on Moose and their calves and that coyotes will take moose calves etc. Thought it interesting that 50 years ago that was the talk yet I don't think I've heard anyone since mention much about that as the decline here in Minnesota. I hear about the weather,brainworm,etc. Anyway, good luck trappers should be quite a sight if you approach your set and you got one.