• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wolf Hunt Reports

leech~~

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a little surprised at first but then I guess it does make sense that if guys have a tag they are most likely in the woods this weekend. I'd expect numbers to drop off throughout the week with probably another spike next weekend.

Its pretty hard to know if these are good numbers or poor numbers without a prior hunting season to compare them to.

None. I am sure the DNR personnel at the registration station know the difference.
I think Non-T was saying how many people hunting Wolves may not know what one looks like and brought in a Yot instead? Not that the DNR would register them. wink

You DO NOT have to bring a wolf in to a registration station to register it. One is able to do it over the phone or internet just like deer hunting. But after registering, and the wolf is skinned,the hide must be taken in to a Wildlife Managers office for inspection. This is when we will find out if anybody registered a yote.

I'd like to think most people, especially hunters, can tell the difference between a yote and wolf when seeing them in person. Although I probably give people too much credit.

I had someone at work carrying on about how they saw a wolf over the weekend running around in Burnsville (South Metro). I tried to point out that is substainlly further south then the wolves range and that it is likely a coyote which are fairly common down there. They weren't having any of that idea, they KNEW it was a wolf.

You DO NOT have to bring a wolf in to a registration station to register it. One is able to do it over the phone or internet just like deer hunting. But after registering, and the wolf is skinned,the hide must be taken in to a Wildlife Managers office for inspection. This is when we will find out if anybody registered a yote.

Hide and carcass must be presented after the season closes and I bet there will be a few that turn out to be yotes.

I'd like to think most people, especially hunters, can tell the difference between a yote and wolf when seeing them in person. Although I probably give people too much credit.

I had someone at work carrying on about how they saw a wolf over the weekend running around in Burnsville (South Metro). I tried to point out that is substainlly further south then the wolves range and that it is likely a coyote which are fairly common down there. They weren't having any of that idea, they KNEW it was a wolf.

I have seen some pretty big fluffy looking yots and some pretty small scrawny wolves, add in the excitement of someone having their first ever Wolf tag! Fluffy Coyotes going to hit the ground! Grn-T-it! wink

You know, I'd like to think that too, but after seeing how poor a lot of fishermen are at fish ID, I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to stuff like that.

Wrong. The hide has to be removed and the whole carcass brought in to have many samples taken. So both the hide and carcass will be inspected at registration by a qualified person.

Most people who got a wolf tag actually live in wolf country. I thought there would be a bunch of people who had never seen a wolf getting drawn. Turns out most are from areas with high wolf populations. International falls area had the highest success rate in the lottery.

I guess this means the Alaska expert was off a bit on his estimations about MN early season harvest...we're at 70 right now and I "think" his prediction was that we'd be lucky if we got 40 ??...don't remember the exact number off the earlier discussions....But keep it goin MN !!