• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mn Vikings musings

soldoncass

I sure hope Spielman cuts Hilliard...he has the mobility of a stump.

Burton looks promising as a receiver...but NO RETURNER.

Ponder looked better...definitely had a clock ticking in his head...got rid of the ball quicker.

Run defense needs work, but the #1 line hardly played.

Gotta believe that poor showing will remotivate some people.

I like Webb, but he has to be used to his strengths...NOT FROM A BOX.

I was impressed with MBT.

Walsh looked good.

Wr Taylor has a chance...Jenkins beware.

Sherrels looked good.

I thought Wright would show better.

I thought Carr would be better.

Frampton looked very replaceable.

Reisner should stick this year.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. We got another demonstration to confirm that Toby Dungpile is not an NFL RB

2. We also got confirmation that Joe Webb will be much worse than Tavaris Jackson as an NFL QB.

3. Even with the addition of Kalil our O line is pretty dreadful. Good job Spewman not trying to move up and get DeCastro.

4. We have the worst play calling in the NFL.

5. Our new kicker looked good on the kickoffs. Too bad we will only get to use him once a game.

6. We dont have a single RB to help in pass protection.

7. We may have found a replacement for Jim Flyingsaucer, same # too.

8. We are going to need 8 guys to protect Ponder and two XFL quality recievers are going to be trying to outrun double coverage constantly resulting in lots of punting. Hope Kluwe has a lot of Snickers stocked up. Or was that the other guy?

9. Apparently our D fence forgot how to tackle or cover anyone.

10. We are going to need coach Kline and Bobby Boushay to even win a couple games.

11. This is gonna be dreadful to watch. WI is looking better every day.

2. We also got confirmation that Joe Webb will be much worse than Tavaris Jackson as an NFL QB.

3. Even with the addition of Kalil our O line is pretty dreadful. Good job Spewman not trying to move up and get DeCastro.

5. Our new kicker looked good on the kickoffs. Too bad we will only get to use him once a game.

8. We are going to need 8 guys to protect Ponder and two XFL quality recievers are going to be trying to outrun double coverage constantly resulting in lots of punting. Hope Kluwe has a lot of Snickers stocked up. Or was that the other guy?

10. We are going to need coach Kline and Bobby Boushay to even win a couple games.

Looks like someones glass is half empty.

I take no weight in preseason games. They are basically a way for the non starters to show what they can do. I am not concerned with the way they played, they are what they are, a ~.500 team that is rebuilding.

I listened to the game as I drove up north. Nothing sounded too bad or too good, just normal. I view the preseason as being about individuals and not teams. It doesn't matter what the score is or how the team plays (necessarily). Of course you want cohesion, chemistry, etc. but you mostly want to see how individuals play within the system, against others, and how well they are grasping the scheme.

I still think that the Vikings will improve their record by a game or two, but they haven't made an moves in the draft or free agency that would make me think that they've gained any player(s) that is a difference maker, that can make a team jump from 3-13 to 13-3 or somewhere in between. Favre was that guy for ONE season and everything else has been pretty mediocre.

I didn't watch the game and actually never do watch preseason games. I agree they are not very good predictors of how a team will play during the regular season.

Right now there's no reason to be too down on the team. The success of this season isn't going to be measured in wins and losses anyways. Any thought of a winning season should probably get shelved for another year or so. I think the best way to approach this season is too look for team and player development. Does the team take a step forward? Does Ponder take a step toward being a franchise QB? Do we have fewer holes to fill than we did last season? If these objectives are met by the end of the season then it has been a good year. There are bound to be some growing pains along the way and not every player is going to pan out like they hoped but we should at least hope to see a marked improvment in some key areas.

If that game was indicative of how our season is going to go, that means the Bears, Lions and Packers are all going to be just as bad or worse with their terrible showings, especially CHI and GB. Someone said our offensive play calling was terrible--our offense was vanilla because you never get creative with play calling in the Preseason. You want to see if guys can handle basic blocking assignments, if new defenders can be in the right position, etc. It's not a time for flea flickers and double reverses or creative blitz packages. I am not saying I was blown out of my chair, but I saw some things that looked better than last year at this time, and I saw some things that looked shaky, and I took both with a grain of salt because 75% of our talent was sitting on the sidelines.

2c This is looking at the glass half FULL wink

Then again, I'm a fair weather fan...Maybe next year i'll tune in.

If that game was indicative of how our season is going to go, that means the Bears, Lions and Packers are all going to be just as bad or worse with their terrible showings, especially CHI and GB.
Let's keep this all in perspective. Here are Ryan Leaf's stats in his first preseason game: 14 of 19 for 143 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs.

Don't believe your eyes in the preseason

Let's keep this all in perspective. Here are Ryan Leaf's stats in his first preseason game: 14 of 19 for 143 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs.

Don't believe your eyes in the preseason

Hence the rest of my post where I said I take the good and the bad with a grain of salt. It's the pre-season... I think we are saying the same thing.

Game 2:

I see NO REASON to keep Frampton, Felton, Hilliard, Carr, and Aramashodu. Might as well cut them now, so the guys who have a chance get more reps. Matt Asiata looked like he should be #3 back. Cole had a nice game(or quarter). Bowman keeps making decent plays, Carr ....just the opposite reason to be noticed. Other players I would give a "star" to are: Raymond, Robinson, Smith,Mitchell ,Sendajo, Owusu, Reggie Jones . I'd keep Blanton in the safety mix instead of Sanford, but Blanton needs to get healthy and experience. I like Reisner over Schuler, but they are pretty close.Nick Reed keeps getting pressure, but Owusu is coming on, younger, and pro-typical size, so gets the spot. I look at Guyton leading as back-up dt, maybe Jacobs as ps material.

Encouraging game, and I really like some of the young guys for the future.

After last night, with our starters getting extensive play, one thing became clear. We aren't much better than the 3 win team of last year. In fact, I didn't see any sign that leads me to conclude we are ANY better. It is going to be a darn long year! Lots of free time for hunting I guess!!!!

I watched some of the game the other night. A couple of things come to mind.

1. Ponder is not that bad. He is at least better than guys like Mark Sanchez if he gets time.

2. Matt Asiata would be a better RB than Gerdung if he can hang onto the ball.

3. The offensive line play is still awful. I think a lot of picks that Ponder throws will be forced cause of a collapsing pocket, limited vision, and some subpar recievers.

4. Chris Carr was a downgrade at CB.

5. Peterson better have his surgeon on standby.

6. We will be picking very high in next years draft.

7. Stupid penalties and negative turnover ratio will keep us well under 500 this year.

I will stick with my original prediction 3-13 or 4-12. I would rather rebuild and stink that go out and try to bring in some FAs like we always do and go 500. Build from the ground up like GB or PiTT and we will be back in the playoffs within a couple years. I just wish we would try to deal Allen and Peterson while they are still worth something. Yes, they are great players, but they are never going to see a championship in MN.

Poor Management, Poor Coaching and Poor Personnel = 3-13...or worse.

Its up to the coaches to get these guys up to speed and it looks like they are learning on the job too..Always be wary when someone like Mark

Wilf says we are building, have a good structure bla, bla, bla..I have no faith in musgrave, singletary, frazier (he's a good guy but can he coach?) and its too early to know with the d-coordinator...wade phillips would look pretty good up here now but he's too busy taking the texans to the playoffs..

Ponder does not look confident at all and that's bad, bad omen. Hoping i am totally wrong and go purple!!!

I will just have to take your words for it, since I have watched a total of 45 seconds of the preseason games, But I really put no weight of the regular season with what they do in preseason, so I find it nothing more then scrimage games with refs.

Ponder looks good when he has time to throw, but when the pockets starts to collapse he looks awful. He has a hard time stepping up or to the side to escape the rush and make a good throw. Still seems like he'll stay in one stop for too long, or just look to run the ball rather than keep the play alive and make a throw.

Schmitty hit the nail on hte head. Ponder can put the ball on the money... but when the pocket is breaking down it's almost like he panics. Hopefully the Oline pulls it together in the regular season and Ponder starts to chill out back there.