• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite all time rod?

mww24

After reading the favorite reel in a certain price range thread and seeing the various responses it got me thinking about rods to. What is everyones all time favorite rod they have owned or do own. Price doesn't matter, just give the brand and specs on your favorite stick. Something to kill the time before opener. My all time favorite is my St. croix Avid 7' medium/ fast baitcasting rod. It isnt the most expensive rod or cheapest rod I've owned. it is just one of the most versatile rods I have. I mainly use it for light texas rigs but I think i have probably tossed just about any lure with it. It is just a great rod in my opinion. So, whats yours?

My fav got stolen from me the fall of 2010. Phenix Ultra MBX 7'xh, used as my pitching rod and no longer made. Thanks for bringing up such a painfull topic! Haha just kidding. I found a suitable replacement with a Kistler Micro Mag 7'xh.

my favorite is my 9wt TFO signature series fly rod, caught so many species on it and had lots of great battles. Caught a couple of my bigger LMB and SMB on them too.

otherwise, i got a used loomis gl3 784 back in tenth grade, and i love that thing too. Had it for about 8 years now, and it has caught my top three biggest LMB.

some good sticks on there. Aaron. I bought a few rods longer than 7 feet last year and sold them all before fall. a 7'6'' is just to long for me. Im not quite 6 feet. I did pick up a 7' Xtra heavy duckett micro majic to use for flipping. I just couldn't get used to that xtra length. 6'6'' to 7' is just right for me. But, it is all a matter of opinion. I don't have a super long front deck to lay longer rods on or long enough storage so that also played a factor. I wish I could fish a rod like a NRX for a day but my pockets just aren't that fat so the sub 200 rods are where I stay. I do scour the net for used rods and reels to.

I have a 6'6" MH Quantum Affinity rod that I still seem to use alot. Just got a new quantum reel for it and it feels pretty good.

But my all time favorite(going back quite a few years) was an old style pistol grip diawa that I had as a kid back in the mid 80's. It was a whopping 5' 3" long, graphite and had about 8-9 rod guides on it. Teamed with the new Diawa Magfore, it was pretty hightech back in the day. I use to think I was pretty cool fishing with that rig! cool Think I ended up selling to some kid at a garage sale for him to enjoy.

Like I said before, I'm a newbe here but WOW you guys are talking new rods to an old guy. 40 years ago if you had a Fenwick 953 HMG you were top dog, then those super long World Class 959's came out but we all stayed with the 953's. Of coarse boats were only about 2 feet wide I think, nowdays they don't get to the gunnels.

All Star 6'8" Magnum Worm rod. I am pretty sure this will be it's 20th year of fishing with me. I hope to be buried with that rod.

Ray - That rod would be in my top 5, and the 6'10 All Star SJ1 would be right up there too.

I'd have to pick two - casting and spinning.

Casting I think I have a brand new favorite - Powell Endurance 764. Not much you can't do with it.

Spinning, 7'6" ML XF Diamondback. Awesome grub rod, and a blast to catch smallies on.

Cheers,

RK