• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cougar shooter charged!

lichen fox

DNR issues citation for cougar shooting in Jackson County

(Released January 27, 2012)

Charges have been filed today by the Jackson County attorney’s office against a Jackson County man in southwestern Minnesota for allegedly shooting a cougar on Nov. 27, 2011, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

Daniel Hamman, 26, was charged by citation with shooting a protected animal.

Hamman allegedly shot the cougar after being contacted by a neighbor, who saw the cat run from a rural grove of trees into a culvert. The cougar was shot as it flushed from the culvert.

Maximum penalties Hamman could face include a fine up to $1,000 and up to 90 days in jail.

The DNR has filed an affidavit of restitution requesting the court to order Hamman to pay $1,000 to the state for the cougar. Criminal charges are not evidence of guilt. A defendant/suspect is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... no breeding population within the state of Mn....

Forget breeding population- for a long time they simply didn't exist and only crazy or confused people saw them! LOL.

It is interesting that he'll get fined for this. I wonder if he'll lose hunting privledges?

Forget breeding population- for a long time they simply didn't exist and only crazy or confused people saw them! LOL.

It is interesting that he'll get fined for this. I wonder if he'll lose hunting privledges?

I'm not an expert, but I am guessing that if this is the shooter's first fish and game offense, and he was not on probation for anything else, he will get a fine (not the maximum), and a year or two of unsupervised probation, plus restitution. No jail time. He will probably keep his hunting privileges, assuming he commits no further violations while on probation.

That's the penalty that sounds about right to me, anyway.

They shouldn't be protected here in the first place. Why protect something that isn't here? It makes no sense to me. I believe Iowa has nothing on the books to stopping you from getting one so why should we. Its not like they are endangered or anything and ND and SD are giving more permits every year so we should be allowed to shoot them as a nongame like a coyote.

Its not like they are native here anyway.

They shouldn't be protected here in the first place. Why protect something that isn't here? It makes no sense to me. I believe Iowa has nothing on the books to stopping you from getting one so why should we. Its not like they are endangered or anything and ND and SD are giving more permits every year so we should be allowed to shoot them as a nongame like a coyote.

Its not like they are native here anyway.

Mountain lion are native to Minnesota, and were quite common 200 years ago. They were wiped out in much of their range by treating them as a "nongame species".

Mountain lions are no longer endangered because un-regulated hunting of them ended.

Iowa also has no laws on the books regarding black bear, which can be shot in that state at any time by anyone with a general hunting license. Therefore, do you think black bear should be shot on sight in Minnesota, too?

I guess that I don't understand the thought process here. Look there's a Cougar! Shoot it?

Bingo!!

Fines are set up as a punishment to the wrongdoer and as an incentive to future wrongdoers NOT to do it, this will make people think twice about shooting the next cougar they see.

I would have shot it! A cougar has no place where it was in SW MN and could have caused harm. If you want them in the NE part of the state- great but SW MN? As my buddy always says "If John Wayne or George Patton were alive today they would just shake there head at what they see". Cougar is in a ditch and someone should check a law?