• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance Class action lawsuit

2009 I buy a new unit. 14 months later it fries. I call them and get, "your unit is 2 months out of warranty, but for $586.00 we'll send you a new HDS unit" I got it Sept 27th 2010. Friday that one fries. 14 months. Today I call and get "that unit is only warrantied for 6 months, we can send you a new one for $499.95" I know I'm not the only one. Is anybody out there with a valid story like mine interested in joining in on a lawsuit? Any attorney's want to represent?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear what you are saying. I bought a 522c and just like you it fried 1 week after the warranty run out and my bill would have been $300.00 just to look at it. It is going in the garbage and that is the last thing I buy from Lowrance. I've read on here that we are not the only ones that have had this problem, but as for me NOT AGAIN.

Chris, I'm guessing that you could add owners of a lot of Lowrance handheld gps units (iFinder H2O, H2OC, Hunt, ExpeditionC, etc) to that class action. Scroll down and find my post in this thread for my whole sad story. Lowrance has obviously turned its back on users of their defective products.

Let me see, you and the another few thousand people provide all the documentation and for the trouble you'll get a couple bucks and the lawyers walk away with a huge lump sum.

Outside the warranty period most companies can't/won't do much for you.

Lowrance is good inside the warranty, outside the warranty they don't seem to have the technicians to repair units.

Lowrance has been a pioneer in consumer grade electronics with very good reliability in the past.

It just seems we've hit a point in technology that reliability has gone down.

There are electronic technicians outside of Lowrance that can fix your sounder, so before writing it off that is what I'd do.

It sounds like this is an unfortunate situation, and it sounds like Lowrance knows how long it's product will last and designs their warranty to run out before their products do. ...I am not a lawyer, BUT, I wouldn't think there is a lawsuit here.

This may sound cold hearted, but there is an endless amount of info out there. If the problem is this big, you would have found out about these thousands of issues while you were researching what product to buy, and you should have went with another manufacturer.

Many have had issues with thier Lowrance inside and outside the warranty.

My suggestion, do as I, Northlander and many others have done as switch to another company.

I switched to the Birds unit and in the last 2 years have been very happy with the quality of my units for the boat.

I was so happy with the boat units, I also now use the ice fishing units.

If people simply keep going back to Lowrance, nothing will ever change. Go elsehwere and hit them where it really hurts in thier profit asnd they may wake up.

I had 2 lowrance units and both were nightmares. My h20 had to be sent in 4 times before they got it correct. Not a very good track record.

Sad to say but I doubt a lawsuit will get anywhere other than filling the pockets of an lawyer unless they take the case without a fee and take thier pay out of the settlement if one was to win.

Tough deal for sure.

It sounds like this is an unfortunate situation, and it sounds like Lowrance knows how long it's product will last and designs their warranty to run out before their products do. ...I am not a lawyer, BUT, I wouldn't think there is a lawsuit here.

This may sound cold hearted, but there is an endless amount of info out there. If the problem is this big, you would have found out about these thousands of issues while you were researching what product to buy, and you should have went with another manufacturer.

When Lowrance came out with the 522, there was no info about what issues would arise in the future or for that matter, how Lowrance would handle those same issues.

They had a huge dud in the 522 and my guess is it could have been one of thier biggest middle range sellers.

No way to know what issues will arise with a new product.

I had 2 IFinders crump out and one was barely used. Thing is they were at least 5 years old when the toasted. I'm not happy with it but on the other hand how many electronic things last much longer? If it was only a software problem I would think it would be worth the while for the company to do a mod and let people know. Must be some little jobberdo stuck in there someplace that takes a lot of screwing around to change out.

Any techies out there have any ideas why they go kaput?

Chris, I understand your frustration with Lowrance. As you said,the units were out of warranty and it seems that even with that they are offering some compensation as to giving you a discount on a new unit. With that I had an issue with a unit as you did just out of warranty, I was pleased that I was offered a new unit at a discount.

Being we use these units in all weather conditions and that they are electronics they will fail. @ months out of warranty does S&*K.

I have read that Lowrance has changed their warranty on their HDS units. Not sure if it's true but if it is it may help people who's units have problems during the first 5 years if I read it right.

AS to your class action law suit, I have to agree with Surface Tension. The only people that make money with this type of law suit are the lawyers. You may, If you win get a voucher for maybe one or two hundred dollars toward the purchase of a new unit. So basically thats what Lowrance is doing now by offering to replace your unit at a discount. Again, only the lawyers win.

Sorry you have had the issues you have and hope things work better if you switch companies. I have been fortunate to only have 1 issue in the last 25 years.

Good Luck.

Mike

Well, I have a new unit coming. Will be taking the LSS-1 off my boat and listing both on hsolist, taking all proceeds and buying a humminbird. I'm done. I have had 3 brand new units on my boat within 28 month's. Subtract the winter months when the units are in my downstairs basement. Well you get the point. If these were $200.00 units it would be a different story. But an HDS unit/w LSS-1 @ $2000.00. I'm done! I'm done! I'm done! I'm done!

The sad part is. I bought an LMS 350A the first year out. Used for 6 years and sold it for $350.00 in perfect working condition!! Now you buy new the warranty on the HDS I bought was only 6 MONTHS. Then they say "You should have spent the extra $199.95 for the extended warranty. That covers it for 18 months" Just raise your @amn price by $200.00 bucks and cover it for a reaslistic time then!!

You could add owners for the Lowrance XOG to this lawsuit. I forget how many I went through, but it was 3 or 4 (all replaced within the warranty period), and finally when the last one went out I threw it in the garbage. Even though I didn't have a direct cost in this, it was enough of a hassle that I didn't want to deal with it anymore.

I would have a very hard time spending money on another Lowrance product after hearing about all these problems.

Chaulk up another guy (couple of us actually) who will be swapping to the Bird with next purchase. After being loyal Lowrance/Eagle guys since literally the green box (actually we didn't "buy" it, but used a friends, then got the first one after the green box, can't recall the model), we have given up the fight. Too bad... oh well. For many of the same reasons listed above. Good luck.

Now you buy new the warranty on the HDS I bought was only 6 MONTHS. Then they say "You should have spent the extra $199.95 for the extended warranty. That covers it for 18 months"

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having, but something is not right here. If you had a 6 month warranty then you did not have a new unit, you had a refurbed unit ---- and there is a BIG difference in reliability as well as the price you paid. The warranty on new units is for 2 years, and the extended warranty is for 5 years. I feel your frustration but it looks like you've got some problems with your "facts". Good luck getting it resolved.

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having, but something is not right here. If you had a 6 month warranty then you did not have a new unit, you had a refurbed unit ---- and there is a BIG difference in reliability as well as the price you paid. The warranty on new units is for 2 years, and the extended warranty is for 5 years. I feel your frustration but it looks like you've got some problems with your "facts". Good luck getting it resolved.

It is ironic how a company who is not a sponser on this site seems to always take a bashing. I realize that there are many problems with modern electronics these days, but all companies will have their issues.

For the record I own three different products made by Lowrance and have not had any issues with any of them. I tend to believe that some of the user issues are the fault of the user and not necessarily the fault of the manufacturer. I also do not know of ANY manufacturer that will warranty any product after the warranty has expired.

It would be fun to know if people in the warmer climates see failures like folks do in the northern climates. I wonder if there are consequences to storing the units in the boat over winter or letting even letting them freeze for a short time and then having problems just 2 - 3 years down the road ( or sooner )?

I can't remember if I heard it or read it somewhere but they were talking about trail cameras failing and some folks pointed the finger at leaving them out during the cold weather and that's what was causing them to fail, maybe not right away but the following summer or soon after, who knows if it's true or not but I think it does raise some concern.

Just wondering if anyone knows the effects of cold weather on these units ( mostly designed for summer use ) over time and that doesn't just go for Lowrance either.

Mike

Long rambling ahead... wink

For those who think the Lowrance issues are user issues, well, they aren't. Not the ones we are talking about here. They are well known, and often software issues - ever heard of the "losing bottom in 8-12 FOW" issue? Anybody who upgraded their 522 or 642 knows about that one, worked great out of the box, then the update messed it all up and you can't get back to old versions (techs tried to help, and still can't even with their emailed files, etc.), and many Lowrance users know about hard and soft resets. I think Lowrance got advice from Microsoft, haha!. And the early HD units... well, anyway, be glad you got yours after the fixes. Like I said, I have been Lowrance fan for about 30 years, but when you can even talk to the techsupport folks (when you can get hold of them, they are nice and want to help, but they can't...), and they tell you that they are no longer making software updates for your unit (bought in store, brand new, though not the latest and greatest I must admit) that is what did it for me. Heck, I don't even want new features, I just want it to work like it should right out of the box.

And my boat stays in a heated garage all winter, so our units don't even really freeze all winter, but not sure about the effects of cold on them. Saw some new lowrance units that are really cool, and I hope they keep making great units, and that nobody has issues with them. But I am going to try something different.

BTW LundPro, We are not saying all Lowrances are bad. I currently own about 6 Lowrance and Eagle products, and the older ones work great, won't complain about them at all, Eagle 480s and LMS's and the older x75s x85s were some awesome sonar units back in the day and one reason we stuck with them so long. Okay, i am done rambling about it, just get ticked every time I think about it wink Sorry.

They sure appreciate their customers don't they?

I agree with Surface Tension, and don't see a lawsuit going anywhere, or atleast you getting anything from it. I say do what I did, run to Humminbird and never look back.