• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance Class action lawsuit

My HDS7 took a dump this open water season. (I got the unit for $500 via sponsorship). I got the $495 to replace deal...told em no, and a few e-mails and phone calls later (2 months) I got a new HDS7 on my door step free.

I think you'll find the same issue with all companies. The key is to be polite, and understanding with them. They take alot of calls, and get alot of e-mails. MN nice goes along ways with people.

Sour attitudes get tossed to the bottom of the fix list. Persistence and an up beat attitude will get you much further, and cause much less stress on you, and them...

I ran Target Corps. Help desk for a year (internal)... When a [PoorWordUsage] off Marshall Fields GM called in, or Mervins or Target, they got the ..."Ya, we will be on it." ... When the polite GM called in, they where takin care of on the spot.....not sayin, just saying. smirk

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been following this thread with interest. My dad and I bought an HDS 5 a year ago, and I hadn't seen/heard the complaints about Lowrance. People I talked to liked them, and two guys I know running Birds had had serious problems with them. I was up in the air, and because I'd never had a problem with Lowrance, I went with the HDS 5.

Are the problems folks are discussing primarily on older units? Mine's had one season on the water...just curious about how closely I should follow the recommendations from people with experience with their Customer Service.

I bought an HDS5 two years ago, have used it for two full seasons, I run from April to late October, at least twice a week, and it has been good for me, I do my own updates. The only issue I had was loss of bottom when rolling into shallow water bass fishing. Learned to run in shallow water mode and no problems since. Got to admit I was nervous when I would go to the C store and all the sales guys were pushing Hbirds due to Lowrance problems. This is my story so far.

I would get them to say the word "new" to you. Sounds a lot like cell phones where if you have a warranty claim they send you a refurbed phone with a lesser warranty. Only difference is you pay nothing for a refurbed phone.

IMO and from what I have gathered in the past, Lowrance has never cared about the small market fisherman, what I mean by this is that they are going after the Saltwater worldwide market beacuse that's where the money is i.e. Furuno, Garmin etc. I'll bet if you had 3 HDS 10s, radar and the whole bit, they would have helped you.

Also my opinion, just like new TVs and Aqua Vu, these units are being cheaply produced and they have an expected life span. I have heard that a TV is 10,000 hours and I wonder what these new depth finders are. They were also mass producing them to quickly and the technology was brand new and they wanted to be the first to bring them out and thought they could just fix it with various software updates. As for why Humminbird hasn't had similar issues, I'm not sure.