• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

warm socks????

icecold

What is the best way to keep feet warm, ? I wear snowmobile boots with liners, but what is the recomended sock to wear, i know cotton assorbs moisture, is there a thin sock that retains heat but doesnt itch like wool does next to the skin. smirk

What is the best way to keep feet warm?

Keys are these:

1. Make sure the boots are big enough to handle two or three layers of socks and still not feel tight. The tighter they are, the colder your feet, no matter what socks you wear. That's because any constriction of foot circulation will keep your feet from being as warm as they normally would be. I wear a size 10 EE in shoes, but buy 12 EE in winter boots for just that reason.

2. Next to the skin a wicking sock is best. Cotton is the devil because it holds moisture against your skin. I use polypropylene, thermax, silk or merino wool as a thin (and fairly tight) wicking sock. On top of that goes a medium wool sock. If it's not overly cold, that's enough. If it's a cold day, I'll put a third sock layer on, a thick wool model. Remember though, if your medium and thick wool sock are sized too small, they'll start constricting circulation. I want my wicking sock tight enough to stay against my skin so it'll wick moisture away. The other layer(s) should be a bit more loose.

3. Don't re-use socks between washing, if you can avoid it. Walk around on a couple pair of wool socks all day and they get compacted, which makes them less efficient insulators. Washing and drying fully restores their loft. You can get by if you have to by throwing them just in the dryer. On a similar note, if your boot liners are more than a few years old, replace them. Those wool felt liners compact quite a lot on the bottoms through use. That makes them less effective insulators.

4. Keeping your feet warm also has to do with eating enough so the furnace has fuel to produce heat, and in keeping your head warm.

5. You don't have to spend a ton of money to make this happen. While I like SmartWool a lot, for example, the price of their socks makes me feel dumb for buying them. Wicking liner socks can be had for a couple/three bucks a pair. The medium and heavier wool socks don't need to break the bank, either. Go to surplus stores. We have one locally that sells medium and heavyweight wool socks that are factory irregulars. They're sewn for companies like Carhartt, Redhead, Fox River, etc., but because there are a couple irregularities (nothing that compromises structure, warmth or durability), they are rebranded by the company that sews them (Ballston), and sold at this particular store for $6/pair. That's about 1/3 the regular retail price. Those deals are out there day in and day out at surplus stores all over the place. I also picked up some excellent heavyweight Canadian government issue socks at the same place for $5/pair.

Same goes for long underwear as far as material. No cotton touches any part of my skin in winter when I'm out hunting, fishing or working.

Although I have to say it's MUCH harder to find wicking long underwear tops and bottoms of decent quality (and no cotton) for under $30 apiece. I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices charged by UnderArmor. I mean, one set of UnderArmor tops and bottoms, and three sets of fine socks at retail prices, and you're already walking around in $150 before you even put on your pants, boots and shirt. The few pieces of UnderArmor and Helly Hansen stuff I've got came as gifts, and I value them beyond the price of rubies. Makes sense, since that's what they cost. crazyshockedcrazy

Over time, I've been able to build up an inventory that allows me to go 10 days straight with fresh socks/undergarments in winter before having to do laundry.

There are plenty of folks out there with great heating and circulation who run around all day long with a single pair of cotton sweat socks in their boots and never get cold. God bless 'em! However, if you have poor circulation, are prone for other reasons to getting cold feet or are out in very extreme weather, the above tips will keep your feet as warm as they can be. smile

i agree with the wicking sock on first, and as far as the wool sock,get some with the highest % wool, some so called wool socks have very low wool content, 65% or higher is good, then i bring 2 pair of boots to use depending on how cold it will be,

hope this helps,

mike.

I wear liner socks. REI carries the WigWam Gobi Liner socks, they are made of polypropylene. I also have some Coolmax socks that are super thin like liners, but are ankle height. I use them more in the summer. Regardless of temps, the liners prevent blisters as well so I use them for all my hunting now.

Regardless of temps, the liners prevent blisters as well so I use them for all my hunting now.

Agreed. All my cotton socks hit the garbage can three years ago. Even in summer, I'm wearing a light wicking liner and a slightly thicker wool sock when in boots.

I have Wigwams, Black Mountains, several brands and styles of liners, as well as other cheap brands but the ones that get wore when I need my feet warm are Patigonia, spendy but amazing socks. I frostbit my feet as a teen and have always had issues keeping my feet warm,after 20 years I finaly have socks that keep my feet warm at work or play....

Hiya -

Agree with the others here - thin wicking liners, then good quality wool socks. Do it right, and you can wear a much lighter boot, which is nice if you have to walk any distance to get to your stand.

My feet and hands don't get cold very easily so I have less trouble with keeping warm than some, but one thing I will do if it's really going to be cold is stick a couple of the adhesive toe warmers to the top inside of my boots right above my toes. Amazing how warm those little things can keep you. I usually stick them in right before I climb up my stand so I don't have to walk with them and get my feet all sweaty. That practice did lead to me shooting a deer while in my stocking feet once...

Other good use for those adhesive chemical warmers - stick a couple of them at the base of your neck on either side of your spine, between your shoulders. AMAZING how warm that keeps your whole body...

i loosen up my boot laces after i get to the stand. helps a lot with the circulation.

my feet sweat even when they are cold, so i always have moisture problems in my boots. wet feet = cold feet.

also, if you're at camp or someplace without electricity. stick newspaper in your boots every night. the newspaper helps to draw out the moisture.

Anyone have suggestions for the large footed folk? It seems most places only sell socks up to SZ13. This makes it tough for me to layer socks since my feel are 13s already and layering ends up in constriction.

I've been going with the largest shin length Smart Wool XH hunting socks. They do ok, but still get cold after sitting a while.

I will give you my .02 cents...for years I used every form of snowmobile type boot all with a rubber lower and leather upper and my feet got sweaty where the rubber starts..I could acually see a wet line in the liner..and also my feet became cold..

a few years ago I bought a rocky type hunting boot...they breath and my feet are dry and warm..I do agree with liner socks and wool socks..I have worn out 2 pairs of boots now and are on my 3rd set and it doesn't matter which brand they are all warm for me..

you won't be sorry

i just bought some boot booties for the girlfriend as an early christmas present so she can use them during rifle season and into late season if necessary. Shes bowhunting right now and says they make a huge difference and is very happy about them already. found em at GM for ~60$

I love my Scheels white tails I were them more than I should. I usually have cold feet because they are to warm. I use a poly linear and my feet are always toasty. just dont want to walk with them very long as they get very warm. I like the tip from above let the laces rest when on stand "untied".

As for boots I love my 2 year old LaCrosse aplha iceman's "NEW ICEKING"

Steve

Thats an awesome post. I started a few years back using the liner socks and they do make a huge difference.

I liked your comment about the other stuff too - "cotton never touches any part of my body" or something like that.

I have grown up using the same old "thermal long underwear" that my Dad used and my brothers used. Its the "waffle" type stuff and I just looked at its all 100% cotton. I always seem to be fighting off the cold out in the stand - and I am sure would be cold with even the best stuff available. However, are do you guys that wear the "under armor" type of stuff really think it helps tha much better than the regular old waffle type long underwear? If thats the case - i am more than happy to get some of the good stuff - cause i would wear it ice fishing and early spring and late fall fishing too. Let me know your thoughts on if you think its that much better - or just a "little" better? smile

Thanks!

Hoffer

I work outside all winter, once the temps hit a consistent 30 degrees I pop on the under armor and wear them every day outside till spring. The only draw back is if you are doing anything active you sweat easy. But it does wick away. I just broke down and bought them about 4 years ago and wont be without them again. Called "cold gear". For socks, I just bought a base layer last week for the first time and they seem to help alot.

Years ago about 40, My dad had some military issue longhorns. something like 35% poly 35% wool and 30% cotton. Now for the last 15 years or so all I wear is all poly longhorns, No cotton after 30degree's or less. In fact 5 years ago while elk hunting in wyoming I asked a rancher what he wore, this guy was born and raised and lived in the mountians everyday of his life. He said one thing "Cotton Kills" So I guess when you life is on the line in very extreme weather everyday you kind of trust his words. Or trust Steve words, he lives in a different climate then the rest of us too

It is important to protect the BOTTOMS of your feet. In the old days along the Yukon or farther out it was common to put a layer of beach grass or lichen on the bottom of your mukluks to protect against sweating. Swap it out every time you came to a patch of weeds! Ha! I am not out in the cold that much any more but for my money start with a layer of pure silk long johns and then light-weight down and then whatever else you want...wool sweaters are nice.

I guess my methods will be found too old fashioned. But then I have been able to avoid buying some ordinary cotton underwear that somebody's has hyped to the skies too!

But hey!...everybody's gotta make a buck. Even the phony Rolex sellers gotta eat.

Stay warm gang.

Drink plenty of water, no cotton, limit the caffiene, loose clothing including boots. Not too loose of course but ya need good curculation. Especially when buying tall boots. A good wicking sock with a good wool blend like smart wool over it. If your boots have liners switch them out daily or dry them out over night.. Make sure you water proof your boots but with something that allows them to still breath as they were intended.

I don't like the feeling of being encased like a sausage when I wear Under armor, but I believe it is a great base layer for being outside in the cold.

When it comes to socks, Smartwool has the big kid sizes (xl) that I need. I have bought a couple pair of the under armor socks as well but when the temperature drops I put on the smartwool socks with the this wool liner socks. My feet never get cold, unless I tie my boots too tight...

Some people get cold feet no matter what. I've got top quality, knee high, super-insulated rubber boots (one size too big) that I wear with a lighter polyproplyne fleece sock and then a heavy wool sock over that. Still too cold so in weather like we have right now, I'll also go with a chemical warmer in beteen the two socks on top of my toes in the boot. And when it gets really chilly, I'll slip on my boot covers. Those really do make all the difference for me. Especially if you throw another warmer in with them. I can sit out all day in December if I needed to with that set up. Plus, don't forget a good quality neck gator and hand muff strapped around your waste with another warmer or two thrown in for extra heat. Good luck.