• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sighting in rifles?

mainbutter

So here's my dilemma. I can't get up to the private land we're going to hunt deer on until the day before opener at the earliest. Normally I'd sight my rifle in up there.

However, since that is "outdoors where deer may be legally taken during the open season", I guess I'm not allowed to have my rifle outdoors until the season opens.

So.. I'm not allowed to sight in my rifle until AFTER the season opens?

I suppose I could go to an "authorized range", but is there anywhere in the lino lakes area where I'm not going to be throwing down $20 on a range fee and $5 on a target just because I want to send three rounds at most down range?

I've done it before, called the game warden for permission and they said go ahead. Call the local warden and see what they say. Are you really that cheap though that you wouldn't go to a private/public range. We went to Oakdale Gun Club today, not too busy...you can bring you own target too if you want.

Frankly you can do a much better job siting in a rifle and an authorized gun range because they have the set distances, tables to shoot from, sandbags to cradle the gun, many will have spotting scopes to help with and all will have a range officer who may be able to help you as well.

As for where - here: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/shooting_ranges/index.html

You may be surprised at how good you can get it. Might take more than three rounds though.

There are plenty of ranges around to sight in your gun and most have open sight in days. You can probably find one for $10-15 tops. If they don't give you 1 free target then bring your own.

Like was said above you'll likely get much better accuracy sighting it in at a range versus out in the woods anyways. Isn't it worth $15 to make sure you'll harvest the deer cleanly?

Bald Eagle Sportsman's Association

6557 N 125th St

Hugo, MN 55038

(651) 429-9874

October Site-in Days in Progress

All rifle and shotgun ranges including are open to the public with Range Officers on duty Saturdays and Sundays and all week the last week of October.

Shoot all afternoon on our rifle range - $10 for the 1st gun, $5 for the 2nd gun. $15 max charge per shooter.

Well I know it's illegal, but when we get up to deer camp we hear tons of people sighting in..even on the State land. I wouldn't worry to much about it personally, if you're on private, take a shot or two and then go about your business.

Have fun, be safe & good luck.

Happy to live in an area where I have the priveledge of using a very nice county owned range. They provide PPE, and even can lend out spotting scopes, binocs, sand bags, etc. They only ask for donations, and I am glad to give money everytime I visit! So pumped for gun opener!

So.. I'm not allowed to sight in my rifle until AFTER the season opens?

Well, no. Like you said, you could plunk down your $10-$20 for some range time, or you could've done it this summer. Proper prior planning and all that. (And god knows I struggle with that as much as the next guy. grin )

If you are going to do it out in the open, be sure to know your target and what is beyond it. People sighting in weapons during hunting season in densely hunted areas scare me. (Not sure where you hunt, but if I sited in some places I would have a good chance of hitting a hunter)

Do it Labor Day weekend like our crew of 15 did. 14-15 never touched our scopes and we can't imagine they will be off come November as they are once again safely stored in our gun cabinets. We do it then because of how many guys we are and how busy the ranges progressively get through October. Just be careful and go get it done, it's good to feel the recoil and get it zeroed, we owe it to what we plan to do with it, take a deer.

Being that I've always only hunted birds and not a big game, but do enjoy target shooting with friends and family. We have some private land up north that has a little gravel pit we like to plink cans in and I'm wondering now, since I've never heard of this regulation before, is there a caliber restriction? When does this restriction go into effect? and where can I find these regulations? I've looked in the MN Hunting & Trapping reg. booklet but can't seem to find it. Any help would be great.

Page 18 of the hunting and trapping regs for 2011:

Possession of Firearms Before, During, and After the Firearms

Deer Season

(Note: This section does not apply to the Muzzleloader Season, see

page 88, except that muzzleloaders legal for deer may be possessed only by

persons with a muzzleloader or firearms deer license during that season.)

No person may possess a firearm or ammunition outdoors during

the period beginning the fifth day before the open firearms season and

ending

the second day after the close of the season within an area where

deer may be legally taken by firearms, except:

• A person who has a valid firearms big game license in possession

may hunt big game during the open season with a firearm and

ammunition

authorized

for big game.

• Possession is also legal under these conditions:

a) An unloaded firearm that is cased or in a closed trunk of a

motor vehicle.

B) A shotgun and shells containing No. 4 buckshot or smaller

diameter

lead shot or nontoxic shot.

c) A .22 caliber rimfire handgun or rifle with .22 caliber short,

long, or long rifle cartridges,

.22 magnum or .17 caliber.

d) Handguns possessed by a person with a carry permit.

e) On an authorized target range.

please dont go to the woods on friday and start blasting away

quiet as possible would be the logic, i sneak into my stand saturday

morning as quietly as i can, don't we all? so keeping the woods quiet on

the few days before would only make sense

Just got back from sighting in at Elk River Sportsman Club. A gentleman there told me I could hit a mouse at 100 yards with my 308. That was quite flattering.

It's nice to hear that kind of stuff.

I took our two girls to the Isanti County Sportsmen's Club over the weekend. One on Saturday and one Sunday (today).

The youngn' on Saturday printed a real nice group with the .243 after her first two "gettin back into it" shots. 8 holes within a couple inches of the bullseye. One fella told her she could shoot his deer any day. cool

Today with the elder girl, we set her up with a scope for the first time on the .308. 4 shots, adjust. 4 more, adjust again, about 8 more that looked as good as her sister's from the day before. cool

The coolest was there were a couple guys testing their varmint rounds that were offering her better coaching than I was and after she sighted her gun one of the guys set her up with his AR15 and let her run a clip at 140 yards. She thought that was double coolcool

So did I.

My membership dues covered the two days but if I would have had to drop $10 per day to get that time in it would have been more than worth it.

I was at Oakdale gun club on saturday morning. It was busy as expected but I think the guys there did a great job running the show. They had plenty of range help and everyone was friendly and helpful.

Anyone remember the old Honda Motorcycle ad campaign? You meet the nicest people at the shooting range. grin

The biggest problem I have with this law is that it doesn't allow someone who has traveled a long distance to sight their rifle before opening day unless they arrive at the hunting area a week before season. What about people who fly to get to mn? You never know what the airline did with that rifle case. Any co or leo should be able to tell the difference between some guy with targets at a local gravel pit sighting in and some one hunting before season.

The biggest problem I have with this law is that it doesn't allow someone who has traveled a long distance to sight their rifle before opening day unless they arrive at the hunting area a week before season.

It doesn't prevent them from sighting in it just requires that they do it at a range. The law is there to limit pre-season poaching and I suspect that is a bigger problem than someone flying in and getting their gun dinged up.