• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sighting in rifles?

mainbutter

A lot of people fly into Duluth or Hibbing or one of the other smaller airports. Most people get in only a day or 2 before the opener. If you get into say Hibbing at 9 pm on Thursday night and get picked up and a ride to your hunting area up near the echo trail it seems to me pretty ridiculous that you should have to spend the next day driving 6 hours to a range to check your scope.

Seems like most people who don't get where I'm comming from on this subject are from the metro area. I grew up in the woods and didn't go to a true range until after I came home from the service. I think it's more the norm in the metro to go to a range and shoot. Most people who live in the woods don't.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/shooting_ranges/list_ranges.html?county=69

That's a list of ranges in St. Louis County. There are five listed in Duluth, and many more in other areas. I think one would probably work for our hypothetical hunter.

I don't see any reason to make this another thread about people living up north or in the woods versus "city slickers". I just don't think anyone's being asked for something too terribly inconvenient. If someone lives in the woods within driving distance from their hunting area, they have lots of opportunity year-round to check their equipment. And I guess if someone's willing to haul their rifle by air to hunt someplace, they're probably not overly concerned about cost or convenience. I don't have any problem with asking them to schedule their travel plans to allow for a brief check up on their rifle and optics at a range. Minnesota is still a bargain for non-resident hunters compared to many other states.

The fact of the matter is that you can't craft every law to make it convenient for every person, there's just no way that will ever work.

If you live in the metro there are plenty of ranges around so there is no excuse.

If you live in the country you have all year to find 10 minutes to take a few shots to check your rifle so there is no excuse. Waiting until the last second is no ones fault but your own.

If you fly into the state for a hunt just make sure to plan ahead and leave time to check your rifle. There are ranges throughout MN so likely there is one that will work. Just need to plan ahead. Besides how many people are we really talking about that fly into MN just for rifle season? I'm guessing if people are spending the money to fly to a great deer hunt they have better options other than MN.

Really this just isn't that big of a deal. A little thinking ahead is all it takes to avoid an issue. If this hypothetical hunter can't do that then I don't see why we need to change a law to help him out.