• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2011 Archery Buck

broken line

Thanks guys for all the comments....it truly is exciting to finally harvest a quality buck. Not much for details. It was hot, I was sweating and the farmer was cutting beans around me. With the heat, semis hauling and a combine running, my confidence was zero. I had been watching a small buck 10 yards away for several minutes, looked a different direction and there he was at a steady walk. Of course he was not in my shooting lane and he started to walk away. I found a small opening in the brush, and when he reached it I shot at 27 yards. He then dropped in his tracks and started to pull himself forward. I then knew I made a poor shot (spine shot him....I thought I could control buck fever but have since learned that I cannot yet !!). I made a follow up shot right after and it was as good as it gets. The deal was sealed. I've now learned I have to pay more attention to the actual shot rather than the antlers. I realize it worked out well in the end, but in reality I was only inches from missing my best deer ever. I'll chalk that up as a learning experience for next season!!

Look forward to seeing the rest of you post pictures this season. Good luck and be safe.

very cool!!! i think most of us who have shot a lot of deer with a bow have spined a deer or two in their day. you made a great second shot and thats all that matters. great deer and great story. can't wait to see your mount when you get it back!!

thanks for sharing,

CJ