• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2011 Archery Log

tracker x-2

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Called in the same little 8 pointer this morning, I think he has a death wish. Only deer I have seen in the woods. Wish I knew where the does are, haven't seen one on stand yet this year, its bizarre. Still a couple of really big corn field left unpicked, but hard to say if that is where they are. haven't checked the cameras in 2 weeks. There were tons of pictures of deer on camera, but they have disappeared now that the corn is picked on this farm. Walking out I saw one big bodied deer 500 yards away crossing the field. He was on a good trot, heading right for one of my other stands, I think it was a buck out cruising, that was 9:00 a.m. This lack of deer has me thinking that maybe we shouldn't be in intensive harvest again, but the cameras say otherwise. It seems like deer are in pockets right now. Its feast or famine.

I knew id get a rise outta you!

I shouldn't of said anything. I was in Wis. since Thursday and on Saturday morning I shot the buck of 10 lifetimes. Im doing some things with the story so i hate to post to much with the good pics but Ill try to put something together tonight to show you guys on here.

Sorry for the teaser here.... im just mean!

Me neither....

It's seems I can't kill a doe this year...Now that all I have left is a doe tag and all I see is bucks... nothing real big as of yet but alot of movement. Going out tomorrow, thursday and friday with a buddy, hopefully he sticks a pig and all I need is a doe, how hard can it be... crazy

Awesome Buck Slim! Can't compare to that, but had been putting off stickin something early unless special. Then 2 nights ago the gf talked me into shooting a nice doe if one came by.. Long story short she fell asleep and wouldn't wake when two deer were in field at 6pm Sunday and never came in close to give me a shot.

She tried coming out last night, but due to an internship she couldn't make it in time. Just before 6:30 two nice 1 1/2yr does came through at 15 yards and I dropped the second in it's tracks. Nice management doe, and on the board for the season! Hopefully will fill my buck tag this weekend, and do some party hunting during the week/2ndweekend with the gf, brother and niece. Good Luck All.

-BM

Holy [PoorWordUsage] slim.. that thing is huge! Get that picture in it's own thread so no one misses it and let's hear the story!!

Heart break city for me this morning. I haven't seen a deer in shooting hours in the last 5 sits but I know it has to turn around. By about 8:30 it's still been nothing and I'm getting a little frustrated. At 8:45 I see movement at a big scrape about 30 yards away. I lean over to get a better view and sure enough, it's a good buck. It looks to be a 10 pt with good tine length and pretty decent mass. He messes around at the scrape for a bit and then starts heading my way. He will either come out 15 yards in front of me or over my right shoulder at about 10 yards. This stand is between two trees and they are tight enough that to swing my bow over to the right side I have to tilt the bow so the arrow is straight up and down which means it can get a little tricky. He commits to coming out over my right shoulder and I've got the bow over there and ready. I look back at my safety strap and think.. hmm, it seems to not be in the right spot and might inhibit my draw but I know I tested that shooting lane the other day and it was fine so I don't change anything. He gets out of the buckthorn at 10 yards and is going to walk behind two large trees, giving me plenty of time to draw. I start my draw and panic sets in. I can't get to full draw!! I try different angles, you name it but I can't do it. I frantically try to unhook the strap but can't do that either. This whole time he's standing behind the two trees and likely can't see me. I try a much steeper draw angle and as I do that the arrow falls harmlessly to the ground. He bounds off a few steps and walks away. I get a knot in my stomach the size of a basketball and try to use a grunt to bring him back but obviously that doesn't work.

After I hear him walk away I go over what happened and remember that when I turn that way I have to put my right arm over the strap and hold it down and then I can easily draw. I had just gone dumb and forgotten that in this situation. I had practiced it a week or so before but had just forgotten. I usually go over every draw angle each time I get up into a stand but hadn't done it this morning and it cost me. It reminded me of that saying... Luck is the time when preparation and opportunity meet and I didn't do my part in the preparation.

Hes over 210 gross, should NET Boone!?!?!?! Scored him pretty rough with lots of people around so it was sloppy but I think I was close. Theres a lot of grey areas on these NT where I really need a 2nd opinion..... I dont care either way, im just on top of the world! Ive screwed up on a lot of nice deer, and none of that hurts quite as bad anymore because at least this one panned out! I just really got lucky!

Thanks for the nice comments! He is a big one!