• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to pick a Release??

I am in the market for a new release this year and I am a novice bow hunter at best. Looking to see how you guys choose your releases and what functions you think are important, and what things causes problems. Last year after i went from a metal loop to a string loop, my release would stick probably one out of ever fifty draws, but it still really stunk... any help here would be great thanks guys.

I prefer a wrist strap model. The jaw/trigger portion needs to be able to swing out of the way to make all other projects easier without removing the strap. If you go to an archery pro-shop, they will have several on hand that you can try. Shoot a few and see what you like best.

a lot will be on your preference as well, i like the wrist strap ones as well. Do you want one with a hair trigger or one you have to put some pressure on to release? I tried one with a hair trigger once and my arrow ended up in the woods so it went right back to the store. How much are you looking to spend? I shot a tru fire paid about $30 for it and love it, my first one i ever bought 9 years ago was a tru fire as well paid $20 for it and love it only reason i got a new one was the old one was velcro and made to much noise if i had to take it off or adjust in the field.

Do you have some friesnds that archery shoot?

That would be a great way to try them out.

Go to a store like C.....'s and shoot several of them.

I like the wrist ones that buckle, not velcro. If something is going to make noise, you know when it will happen...at the worst possible moment!

I went with a Scott's release, I like the idea of the jaws not attached to the release with a bolt, this way it will not hinder when climbing or moving around.

Jiggin, I see you are in Moorhead. If you're interested, come up to the Lake Aggasiz Bowmen's club in Fargo sometime and I'll show you a few. If you make a few trips up there I'll be able to show you a dozen or so of them and you can use them to see what you like. You'll have to make a few trips to catch the right guys up there. Lunch time is a great time to come up- lots of guys shooting over lunch these days. If interested, PM me and we can set up a time to give some of them a test run.

Great post guys. I'm thinking I should get one with a buckle and features you guys mention as well. I lost my nice one two seasons ago when I realize I left in the woods while field dressing. Never found it and bought a cheap one for $15 last year! but you know what - sans the velcro strap/noise - it served me well last year and practicing this year.

Like Scoot said, if you head up to LAB you'll get a chance to try quite a few. I prefer a wrist strap with a hook (Carter) for hunting and I switch between a hinge and a thumb for targets in the winter. Before the hook I shot a tru fire and liked it but didn't like that I had to be looking at my string loop to hook it up. With the hook I can do it all by feel when something comes by I want to take a poke at.

If you can go on in and see Al Messner at Scheel in fargo. I drive four hours to have him work on my bow. He has won the ND archery comp once and ranks high every year.

Some things I look for in a wrist strap is first and foremost. A buckle strap, Velcro is just to loud and annoying when trying to hunt. NOt to mention the buckle gets you a more consistant fit. I also look for a mouth of the release to be more like a > so the string sits in the center and has less to get held up on some that have lips on them can potentialy have hang up issues. I like to keep things simple. Good luck and hope you get what your looking for.

I've been shooting various Scott Archery releases for the last 15 years or so. What I look for is: Buckle strap (don't like velcro noise. Short thorat so as not to give up draw length. Adjustable trigger to get perfect tension. Strap model so it can be tucked into itself so I don't have to take it off when plus they are easily the most adjustable without imparting string torque.

I forgot to mention I'm current shooting the Scott Archery Wildcat model and really recomend it.