• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Creeping Charlie

IamZombie

Last year I had some pretty nasty areas of creeping charlie in my yard.

I heard you're suppose to either rake the area to get through the oils on the leaves and then spray, or spray right after mowing.

Those two approaches didn't work too well for me.

Any other pointers?

What has worked the best for me has been spraying with WEED-BE-GONE...in the FALL. The plants are storing nutrients in the roots, for the winter. If your timing is right, it knocks it down pretty good....I seem to miss a few though, so they start back up in the spring.

Neither of those are good ideas. The two best times to treat are spring and fall with fall being the best time to treat, especially after the first frost. Spring sprays should be timed with the flower bloom.

Its good to use a surfactant in the herbicide mix that will aid in the product "sticking" to the plant.

Correct, first frost, as with any broadleaf weed, as that's when they store their nutrients for winter.

I can battle C.C. with the best of them, and usually win, but I'm using some serious mix rates (far and above anything in a box store) and usually killing some grass around it.

You do NOT want to mow it, if you're trying to get rid of it, as it'll spread from just a piece of leaf.

It's an absolute pain, but I've eradicated it from many lawns, but not with just 1 application.

You should have a John Deere Landscapes in Brooklyn Park (I think, don't get on the west side much anymore) or there's one in Edina, and ask for either a gallon of Quicksilver or Momentum FX2.

Be prepared, it's going to be VERY spendy, and if you have a neighbor, relatives, anyone that has the same issue, have them split the cost / bottle with you.

You'll need a gallon handheld sprayer, about 1/8 cup of Dawn dish soap and 2 oz of which ever chemical you buy.

Mix them all up, spot spray the C.C. and wait 14-21 days, do it again.

Make sure you get the plant totally wet, not just a mist.

If you burn some grass, that's life, you may end up if you get your mix too hot, but there's a fine line when dealing with C.C. until you get used to what you're doing.

I think the Momentum FX2 was about $140 / gallon.

That would be about $1.05 / oz.

You need about 1 oz / 1000 sq ft, and that's where I say find someone to split the jug with.

The Momentum FX2 will take care of all broadleaf weeds.

If that's too much, it might be cheaper to find someone that'll take care of it for you, but again, it'll take 2-3-4 applications to eradicate it all.

If you do hire it out, make sure you ask for a copy of their MN Dept of AG pesticide applicator's license, or at least look up the company on Mn Dept of AG's HSOforum.

And you can do this in the spring with decent results? I'd hate to not mow our C.C. all summer, it's getting to be a huge patch and our lawn is huge (I mow probably close to 3.5 acres) so I can justify the $$, just dont want to waste it if its not going to die.

I would be willing to buy a few oz's of that off someone with a bigger problem than me, I need about 2000 sq ft worth x 2 applications. I've battled with a weed-b gone creeping charlie variety that came out last year. Helped alot but some always managed to get away from me...

For what it's worth, it appears as if I'm finally starting to get a handle on the CC that appeared in my yard a few years ago, but there is no doubt that the grass around the CC is suffering. At the start of the process, I took the time to pull each visible vine from within the grass roots. This took a lot of time and was only possible since it's isolated to a 10'x 10' area. After I "unweaved" (1 inch at a time!) and removed what I could, I started the weed b gone process. I sprayed an application last spring and then again last fall. After the spring application, the grass faded in spots. It eventually pulled through, but it took a few weeks to green up again. I'm starting to get concerned about the impact of the fall application. The spot I sprayed is thin & not as green as the rest of the yard. I'm in waiting mode at this point to see if it makes it and if there are any remaining signs of CC. Worst case, I'll just cut out the area and put sod down when it's available. CC has got to be the worst weed to control. It's horrible for those of us who enjoy keeping a nice yard.

There will be a fine line between controlling the C.C. and killing the grass.

When we have the best control, the grass around and in the area of C.C. looks like sod in the heat of the day with no water.

Gray and the blades of grass are curled together.

Too much more, and the grass dies. Too little and you only stunt the C.C. and get frustrated.

For what it's worth, the grass around the area I treated for CC has not come back to 100%. I will prob cut out & replace that area once sod is down at the corner nursery. So, if you are planning on spraying for CC, be prepared for the possibility of having to cut it out anyway. Nasty, nasty stuff.

For what it's worth, the grass around the area I treated for CC has not come back to 100%. I will prob cut out & replace that area once sod is down at the corner nursery. So, if you are planning on spraying for CC, be prepared for the possibility of having to cut it out anyway. Nasty, nasty stuff.

I'd give it until June before you start replacing. This cool wet spring has an odd effect on grass so far.

We have lawns that are completely green, 6" tall each week when we mow, and on the same property there's an area that's still quite dormant.

I spray mine with Spectracide Weedstop + Crabgrass Killer Concentrate. There is a distinct edge between my neighbors lawn and mine now. I spray it fairly often until it finally dies off. The lawn is fine, but the CC is gone, so I'm happy. smile

For a little preemptive care, I gave my neighbor a bottle of the stuff I use and advised them to start spraying.

I live in a area where creeping charlie is prevelant in all the yards. I've just learned to live with it. Most yards in my neighborhood are very infested so trying to get it under control is about impossible. It's really not such a bad looking weed. I'm learning to enjoy it.

Based on my experience the ratio means everything. Trimec works. However, you need to apply it at least 2 times 7-14 days apart. If you get too aggressive and load up the ratio, you will have some grass kill but it will come back. I use Weedout + and spread sticker by Fertilome. Spread sticker helps the weedout plus stick to the broadleaf.

I use Trimec plus and apply at the rate on the label. I do not have any problems with the lawn being killed by it. I can tell after 2 days that the dande are dying bit sray them again 1-2 weeks after the first round. I usually miss the little ones that haven't headed out so treat these as needed through the summer. Also appy in the fall if needed.

I got some stuff at the Brandon Elevator called Range Star. I used it last year and it killed off all my creeping charlie and every other type of weed I had in one application and spared the grass. I applied it at 1 oz per gallon per instructions. One of the active ingredients looks to be 2,4-D.

I was surprised with the results because everything I have tried in the past took multiple apps. and still seemed to leave a little to rebound with.

At the local farm store like TSC or a Runnings etc. you can buy a gal. of L-V 400 for about 30.00 and if you use 1/2 a cup per gallon in a hand held sprayer it WILL knock creeping Charlie. Cheap and easy to use. I personally think that you can control it but never get rid of it 100%. This mixture does get it out although your neighbers are the problem! Oh and CC does have the tendancy to kill off grass that it is in so after you spray it does look thin because the CC took over that area and killed the good grass off. It is not usually the chemical. Not unless you get way to aggressive.