• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ford F150 Ecoboost?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'm sure they never had any valve train problems with the 4.0 suck when they where testing those. They never had any spark plugs shoot out of heads when they where testing the 5.4. They never had any head gaskets fail on the 3.8. I bet not a single spark plug broke when they where R&Ding the 3 valve!

You forgot the almighty 6.0 Powerstroke. (insert sad trombone music here)

Yes, all manufacturer's have issues...but the repeated issues from poor engineering are the ones I'm referring to when I say it's much too early to give it the durability award. A handful of test mules are not going to show much and buying Year #1 of any new product has it's inherent risks. It's only when you get tens of thousands on the roads that the common problems start popping up.

But hey, in the words of Denny Green, if you wanna crown'm, then crown'm! smile

Personally the testing is nice and all but if they feel that confident in the new motor they should have a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty on it rather than the 5/60. That would tell me they have a great deal of confidence in the truck.

Lmit, the 6.0 Powerstroke, actually wasnt tested very long before the release, hence the many problems. Huge mistake on Fords part, and the fact that Ford got away from Navistar was a good thing. Ford name was drug through the mud for the 6.0, and they wont let that happen again. The 6.4 was just Ford giving Navistar one last chance, and they didnt live up to Fords demands, and Navistar wouldnt help back the many warranty claims from the 6.0 engine.

No way anyone can see in the future to see what these new Ford engines will be like, but the short history they have, sure looks promising. Right now Ford has the best line of new vehicles on the road right now, (opinions of course) but sales are backing them up, along with low warranty repair costs per vehicle. its hard to say what the new 6.7, 3.5 Eco, 2.0 Eco engine will do when they are 10 years old, but the ones that are a couple years old, and less are sure impressing.

Right now Ford has the best line of new vehicles on the road right now, (opinions of course

Let's not forget ford's commercial that says "higher PREDICTABLE resale value than the Toyota Camry"

How do you predict resale value?

so in my 2008 chevy silverado with a 5.3 engine and less than 74000 miles when it started to use lots of oil they should have done something right??? Did not happen! 3.5 quarts of oil in 4000 miles is to much for me.

so in my 2008 chevy silverado with a 5.3 engine and less than 74000 miles when it started to use lots of oil they should have done something right??? Did not happen! 3.5 quarts of oil in 4000 miles is to much for me.

Not really sure how GM is about stuff like this, but Ford has programs to help out customers with up to 75k miles. But it is set up for customers that bought the vehicle new, and maintains their vehicle at the dealer. Ford will pay 80% of the bill, 10% dealer pays, and 10% customer pays. You get 1 time only.

My only concern with the Ecoboost is that any time you run an engine at close to it's peak engineered abilities you tend to suffer in the long term form lack of reliability. Don't get me wrong I would love to have a new Ecoboost but that fact keeps me from pulling the trigger.

Who knows. Heck, Kia has a 10yr/ 100,000 mile warranty and our local dealer has extended it to 20/200,000. Seems those cheap junky klunky Asian cars instill more confidence in their companies than Ford.

All I am saying is they can test all they want and tell me they believe in their product and I will take it with a grain of salt. If they back it up by extending the time they warranty it compared to their other vehicles and I will believe that they believe what they say.

KMart offers a life time warranty on their tools. Is this were you shop for your tools? When I was going to school as a mechanic, I needed a torx bit set, Snap-on wanted $300+ for the set, Kmart had a set that was life time warranty for $7. Who in their right mind would pay all of that extra money for the same warranty? Well after using the Kmart ones a couple times just to get the same bolt loose, and I broke the same bit 3 times, I threw the rest away, and bought the Snap-On set, and still have the same ones to this day, sure they have broken, and they came to our shop to replace them. Much better quality.

My point, just because others offer a warranty, the same or better, doesnt mean you are going to get the same quality.

My only concern with the Ecoboost is that any time you run an engine at close to it's peak engineered abilities you tend to suffer in the long term form lack of reliability. Don't get me wrong I would love to have a new Ecoboost but that fact keeps me from pulling the trigger.

The only time you are going to be putting it close to its "peak engineered abilities" is if you are hard core towing all of the time. In which case you should step up to the HD trucks and a diesel.

I think it is a fair point that these are new and don't have a proven track record yet. The performance is class leading, but that doesn't matter if it isn't reliable. Only time will tell one way or the other, however so far so good.

My point, just because others offer a warranty, the same or better, doesnt mean you are going to get the same quality.

Sorry, your quote reminded me of this. Can't find the vid anywhere or I would have posted it.

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting.

Ted: I'm listening.

Tommy: Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.

Ted: Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy: 'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter. Am I Right, Ted?

Ted: What's your point?

Tommy: The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.

Ted: But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?

Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of sh#@. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Ted: Hmm. Okay, I'll buy from you.

Tommy: Well I... What?

Well I'm willing to take the chance on this engine. And after towing a 27' camper to the lake lot I'm even more inpressed with this engine. Talk about power to pull and the tranny is super smooth. My 08 chevy just struggled with the camper, not this ecoboost!! Truck even felt more stable than the chevy. Only time will tell how this engine holds up but for now this is the best truck I have ever owned.

This makes 2 of us. Although mine wasn't using it. It was leaking it as evidenced by the spill in my driveway. Unfortunately they had to put a die in the oil to track where it was coming from. I just hope it was fixed before the next person bought it from the dealer.

Well it's been about two months since the last post so I figured I'd check in to get an update on mileage numbers. How is it going? Seeing any issues yet or has it been smooth sailing?