• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ford F150 Ecoboost?

Yeah...I loaded up my fish house with a good amount of weight (guessing 4,000 pounds). I gave the truck a REALLY good workout for about 20 miles, and came back and was just over 10mpg. This was on back roads putting it to the floor as much as I could. I read on another forum about a guy getting around 15mpg towing 5,500#. I don't think that would be unrealistic.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposedly Ford can't keep up with demand. Out of the 4 engines they make for this truck, 40% of the orders last month were for the Eco-boost. Needless to say, they didn't expect to sell that many right of the bat, so they are scrambling to keep up with demand. Came into the market at the right time with gas prices high again.

Ford has a new 2.0 Ecoboost coming out for the Taurus's. Suppose to be a pleasure to drive performance wise, and get in the 30's for mileage. I havnet driven one yet, but it will be a late 2012-13 model year.

Supposedly Ford can't keep up with demand. Out of the 4 engines they make for this truck, 40% of the orders last month were for the Eco-boost. Needless to say, they didn't expect to sell that many right of the bat, so they are scrambling to keep up with demand. Came into the market at the right time with gas prices high again.

I guess the recession is over!!!!

I spent a solid month looking for a FX4 Luxury Ecoboost, and there were none to be found across the country. Anytime one would show up it was gone that same day. Ended up with a Lariat and couldn't be happier. The stuff I didn't want ended up being my favorite features (nav, reverse camera, moon roof, a/c seats). I've had it 6 weeks, I'm at almost 4,000 miles, averaging just under 19.5mpg over the life of the truck (getting better with every tank). The power is ridiculous. I'm excited to do some heavy towing with it. Seems like I could hitch up 5,000 pounds behind it, and still smoke the old 5.4L.

If you are thinking about it, get one. You won't be disappointed!

I know the feeling. I just wanted to test drive one in late February, and every time one hit the lot, it was sold immediately.

Finally got a chance to drive one as I was a bit skeptical, but I was very impressed. Dealer had an FX4 w/Ecoboost and luxury package on order, so I got my hands on it and picked it up a couple of weeks ago.

Still under 1000 miles, averaging low 18 mpg, but it's tough to keep the foot off the accelerator. Obviously nobody can speak for its long-term reliability at this point, but from first impressions, there's a good reason that Ford isn't having any problems selling them.

As of right now, the 3.5 Ecoboost engine has a very low warranty part per vehicle rate. As in the number of warranty parts billed to warranty per vehicle sold. So, as for the short term of the engine, it has been very good!

3 weeks weeks ago I bought a F150 Lariat+ package crewcab, 5.5ft box with the 3.5 ecoboost engine. I've only driven 600 miles around town. A topper will be put on this week, but I won't do any distance towing until 5/13 going to VNP. There's no effort involved in getting from 0 to 60 with this engine. It's very quiet and I'd rather have a conversation or listen to the radio rather than the amount of street noise I can make. A world of difference from my '01 F150. I love it!

With intown driving and playing with my new found aceleration I've got a little over 14 mpg so far. I hope covering the bed, slower starts and getting past the break-in (I recall reading something about 1,500 miles)I'll see the projected 17 city.

I can get 20 mpg easy with my Ecoboost. Has the 355 rear end in it.And its a crew cab, 6.5 box. Had a 2008 Chevy with 5.3, supposed to get good milage. The new Ford I own gets about 3 mpgs better than the Chevy did. I like the ride better and so does the wife. The back seat has way more leg room also. Plus with the 6 1/2 foot box I can accually close the end gate with a 4 wheeler in the back. Like this truck better than any I have ever owned. Best milage so far has been 22.5, worse 17.1.

20mpg @58-59. 22.5 --55 Did a tip 120 miles of 58-59 and 120 on the interstate @72. Checked at the pump 20.8 Had a 12 mph cross wind.No gravel road on that trip. Right now the gravel roads I live on the frost is going out and is hurting milage badly. Roads are soft and makes the truck engine work. I have just over 3000 miles on right now.

20mpg @58-59. 22.5 --55 Did a tip 120 miles of 58-59 and 120 on the interstate @72. Checked at the pump 20.8 Had a 12 mph cross wind.No gravel road on that trip. Right now the gravel roads I live on the frost is going out and is hurting milage badly. Roads are soft and makes the truck engine work. I have just over 3000 miles on right now.

Thanks!

Not sure on the Fords, but other direct injection engines are having very bad carbon buildup on the intake valves from not having fuel sprayed on them anymore. In some cases by 30k miles they need tedious decarbonizing with walnut shell blasting,other mechanical removal, or cylinder head removal and dissassembly. I've seen pics of intake ports nearly completely blocked before warranty was up(lucky for the car owner).

Long term fix has yet to be determined. EGR,PCV, and valve overlap have all been blamed. Short term cheap fix- "seafoam tuneups". That routine can have catastrophic effects if you're not careful though.

It's always something...

No problem with that from the Fords that I have heard of. I know of a few that have been in operation for a little over a year, 1 with about 150k miles, and the other 2 with over 75k. No engine problems at all on either. Actually the last I heard, they are getting 26 mpg on the highway with them.

I also have a few buddies with them, and they have no issues yet, except my buddy that chipped his, twisted the front shaft whippen cookies on the tar in 4x4 crazy

How are you guys liking the 26 gallon fuel tank? ( i think it is that on the ecoboost)

Also have you covered up the hole/opening beside the license plate? Do you think when driving on the lake ice fishing you will get some snow in there?? I am thinking about the eco boost but also thinking of thoses topics.

any help?

Waaaay too early to claim they are issue-proof at this point.

Your absolutely correct. But I know Ford has had these engines on the road now for a few years now, and they havent had any issues with the valves on their test vehicles.

Not saying they wont have problems in the future, I was just stating that the test vehicles havent had the problems. I happen to have a slight bit of inside info on Fords, and I was sharing what I had.