• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ford F150 Ecoboost?

I am looking to get a newer boat this next year 20' fiberglass class boat. It will also be time for a new Truck. I was reading and watching the promo vids for this truck and was wondering what you guy think. Looks like the engine options will be 3.5 eco 5.0 and a 6.2. This would be a weekend hauler only and the commuter during the week.

If this is a repost sorry I didn't find anything searching

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are actually offering 4 engines. In addition to what was mentioned above they are offering a 3.7 litre V6 as well.If you are hauling part time the 3.5 or 5.0 is what you want. The 6.2 is getting terrible gas mileage 11-14 and that's a stretch. I would seriously wait till they start having the 3.5 Eco Boost engines in stock, sometime this spring. I got a chance to ride in one and the torque and power are amazing plus early reports have it at 16-23 mpg.

It's basically a hybrid diesel without deisel fuel. You have direct injection and twin turbos, both features of a deisel and the max. torque is at or near 1,900 rpms - right where it should be instead of 4,000 rpms. If you don't mind the gas mileage the 6.2 will haul just about anything you will ever need. Both the 6.2 and 3.5 will cost you about 3 grand more but the savings in gas mileage will be realized in less than a year.

All the testing we have done on the 3.7 show they are going to get pretty good fuel economy. When we ran E-85 the magic number is around 15-16 and with regular 87-89 octane we can get 19-20 MPG. This is in cold weather only so I would think in the warmer months you would see a bit of an increase.

The Eco Boost is $750 more than the base V8, and only $1500 over the V6.

The early reports sound like this will be THE motor to have. Time will tell.

Any information on reliability and longevity? Or is it too new? Is this the motor type used anywhere else in Ford's line? Flex maybe?

I haven't followed it's development as close as some, but I do know that Ford is going to great lengths to prove it's durability. There are quite a few videos online with towing comparisons, 0-60 loaded and unloaded, and I'm sure that some others I haven't seen yet. It sounds like they will have an EPA rating in the 24-26mpg range. I will be getting one early next year.

I have driven one of these also, very impressive to get this amount of zip out of a v6 engine, and to get good economy. As for how dependable, it is probably a little early to make that prediction, but Ford has been doing some pretty heavy testing on this engine, and I wouldnt be afraid to get one myself if I was in the market.

I have driven one of these also, very impressive to get this amount of zip out of a v6 engine, and to get good economy. As for how dependable, it is probably a little early to make that prediction, but Ford has been doing some pretty heavy testing on this engine, and I wouldnt be afraid to get one myself if I was in the market.

I know what you are saying but I remember Ficht outboards, Olds Diesels, and Caddy 4-6-8 (and vega chrome bores) and that makes me nervous.

Thats why I said a little early for predicting durability. But Ford was bitten in the behind by the 6.0 and they vowed to never let that happen to them again. But like any other new model/engine of any manufacturer, you wont find the problems, until they are massed produced, and put to work on everyday customers. Ford has came along way in quality in the last couple years, and they have some pretty great vehicles on the market right now.

Thats why I said a little early for predicting durability. But Ford was bitten in the behind by the 6.0 and they vowed to never let that happen to them again. But like any other new model/engine of any manufacturer, you wont find the problems, until they are massed produced, and put to work on everyday customers. Ford has came along way in quality in the last couple years, and they have some pretty great vehicles on the market right now.

I like the ford lineup, and my explorer has been pretty good. I am glad I have a few years slack. Should be proven by then.

The Ecoboost is going to be the engine to have in the Ford lineup, its currently available in the Flex, Taurus SHO, and related Lincolns. It will also be showing up in the Mustang in the near future (supposedly). It has been beefed up for heavy duty towing. Good mileage and plenty of power. I believe it has a higher tow rating than the new 5.0. Reliability is always a concern with a new engine design. That being said, since you are a weekend hauler, the wear and tear will be less than somebody that is towing daily/frequently. I will be looking for one in about 3 years.

Twin turbo/DI V6 engines are fantastic (I own a TT v6 non-DI engine). Rumor is GM is working on one of their own from the 3.0/3.6L V6 DI family. BMW has a 3.0 version that is phenomenal. You will see more and more of these type of engines pop up due to the future mileage regulations.

I think this engine and engines like it will be the future of Gasoline engines. I am in the market for a truck this spring or summer. I will for sure test drive one. But I really am looking for a HD truck to pull my 30' trailer. The f150 chassis is just not quite enough for what I want to pull. Otherwise I would be all over this truck and engine for sure!

Looks to me like more parts to break and a bigger repair bill when they do.

That is a thought, But then again that is what a warantee if for. I test drove the 5.0 F150 last night that thing is sweet. Stock look with the thunderous growl of straight pipes. I can't wait to compare it to the ecoboost. The sales guy said the two engines are night and day for sound and feel. What that means I guess I will have to wait to find out

muddpuppy,

They have been testing that 3.5 engine in the truck form since late 2008. That is an awful lot of time for anything to go wrong and according to the guys I rode with it's been error free. You won't believe the power and torque from that 3.5.

It has all the power in the world and right where you need it and that's towing as well as normal driving. The technology they are using has been used in deisels for a long time so I wouldn't worry one bit about "more things to go wrong." I'll be driving one as soon as they get to dealers and I agree that 5.0 is a real nice engine as well, a lot more power than the 5.4 and a little bit more mpg.

I'm really happy that Ford is finally coming out with some new motors for the 150s. My 5.4 is exceptionally wimpy, along with poor mileage, especially while towing. The Eco Boost sounds like it functions like a small diesel, which exactly what Ford needs in their 1/2 tons. Time will tell how reliable they are, but it seems like they are giving them a pretty good test before production.

I'm really happy that Ford is finally coming out with some new motors for the 150s. My 5.4 is exceptionally wimpy, along with poor mileage, especially while towing.

I was going to buy an Expedition a few years ago and I couldn't do it, that engine was such a pig!! Ford is definitely stepping up their game. Four great new engines in a year is unheard of.

Nice to see a small engine in the line up. Displacement has been going up,up,up for over 10 years now on many vehicles. I hope this starts the trend back down.

Now it sounds like durability has been evaluated. Hopefully this reflects on actual usage in mass #'s. I would imagine every aspect of every car gets checked real good, yet blunders often happen. Look at the 5.4 they've had for a while now. Very durable engine, but Ford seemed to forget how to do sparkplugs. Twice. Hopefully it all works out. I look forward to seeing it.

I would expect maintainence costs on a twin turbo engine will be higher too.