• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ford F150 Ecoboost?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just got my new truck, F-150 xlt crew 6.5 box. Milage so far-- 19.7 mpg with about 150 miles of general driving around. Much better than the 08 chevy I traded in (5.3 liter crew)Have been averaging 15.5 with the chevy. Ride is just as good or better than the chevy. Very happy so far. Have 3.55 gears in it.

Oil is 5W30. 6 quarts.

I came to the Ecoboost from a 5.4. My best tank since November is 13.4mpg, best ever with the truck is a bit over 15.

I'm on my fourth tank. The third one was just over 19 and was a lot of stop and go. I will be doing a 150 mile freeway trip in the morning and I'm almost positive I'll be able to get 21-22. I'm a bit over 600 miles. The motor and turbos really came to life between 2-300.

Glad to see you guys with those trucks are doing so good with the mpgs already. Once they loosen up a bit it should really get better.

I'm not a Ford guy myself (I'm a sucker for a hemi) but I got to say if I had the extra dough I would be buying a ecoboost f150. I really like the idea of getting decent mpgs and still having some power.

I was curious about the oil as I have a turbocharged car and run a little different setup so I was curious to see if they were running anything unusual.

So far it seems like Ford has got it dialed in pretty well.

I just drove a slightly modified Eco 3.5. chipped, airbox, and exhaust. Holy cow, that much power wasnt needed. It was actually hard to keep it from spinning the tires on accel in the 20-40 range. I didnt really like the sound of the exhaust though, sounded not so manly with the turbo. He liked it though. He just installed it, so he didnt know what mileage would be. If the rest of the truck holds up to that added power, with this kid driving it, I will be surprised.

I would have liked to see a bunch of the testing done in Warroad at 30 degrees below zero when the oil is like molasses and everything warms up and cools back down to -30.

The other thing I would look at is the cost of rebuilding or replacing the turbo units. Are they going to be fairly reasonable or is it a 5000 dollar bill?

PurpleFloyd,

If you browse the article they did just that running it continously ranging from temps of 20 below to 235 degrees. If you're concerned about the turbos take out an extended warranty. I've talked to a lot of people including the guys that served as test mules and put over 100,000 miles in the truck, they were buddies of mine, and not one bad thing to say about the Eco. That was a large part in me getting one. The facts say it's the real thing.

I've watched those tests countless times, and enjoy them everytime. The temp. shock testing is funny, because that is a normal Minnesota winter! I would imagine the engine has a 235 degree thermostat in it, so at least they tested it for our climate! It's great advertising, and nothing more.

I wish they would have posted a bit more of the tolerance changes in the teardown portion.

I'm still hoping to be able to swing the payments on one!

PurpleFloyd,

If you browse the article they did just that running it continously ranging from temps of 20 below to 235 degrees. If you're concerned about the turbos take out an extended warranty. I've talked to a lot of people including the guys that served as test mules and put over 100,000 miles in the truck, they were buddies of mine, and not one bad thing to say about the Eco. That was a large part in me getting one. The facts say it's the real thing.

That testing was done in the lab from what I read unless I am mistaken. IMHO it is a bit different in the real world. In the end 100,000 is not that many miles today especially with the cost of the trucks. When they do a 200,000 or 250,000 actual over the road in all kinds of weather evaluation it will be more telling.

And i am not being critical of Ford in general. The fact is between the big 3 I have had a worse than average experience with ford products in the past but I always consider any product and recently we have switched both of our vehicles over to the Blue Oval because I like what they are doing and I think their quality is really putting them over the other domestic companies.

But that being said, any time you add something like the twin turbos you are still going to have the extra potential for really expensive repair bills. That is no different than companies going from cast iron to aluminum heads, blocks etc. They work great until a hose blows and the engine overheats, then the aluminum warps easier than cast iron and instead of just replacing a hose you are planing an intake, the heads etc. The things they didn't engineer for are the ones that will cost you. But again I applaud them for their effort and really hope that this technology proves to be as sound as they claim because everyone would benefit from a vehicle that was both more powerful and more efficient. And I would not be opposed to buying one after they have a track record.

The fact is between the big 3 I have had a worse than average experience with ford products in the past but I always consider any product and recently we have switched both of our vehicles over to the Blue Oval because I like what they are doing and I think their quality is really putting them over the other domestic companies.

I too like what Ford has been doing lately. I give them props for where they are and the fact that they got there without filing bankruptcy and getting a huge government bailout, like the other 2 of the big 3. It just really bugs me that car companies, of all things, are adding to our nations $14,000,000,000,000 deficit ($50 billion GM and $6 billion Chrysler). But that is a whole different argument in itself.

So true jwmiller33 but in the meantime I'm going to enjoy the hell out of the truck while getting a huge increase in gas mileage, more than noticeable power gain and a lot nicer looking vehicle than my previous 07 Lariat. This is by far the nicest pickup I've ever owned.

The other thing I would look at is the cost of rebuilding or replacing the turbo units. Are they going to be fairly reasonable or is it a 5000 dollar bill?

Turbos failing is pretty uncommon nowadays. Typically its just the people that Mod them and burn the carp out of them. The new 5.0 & 6.2 V8's are pretty sweet too, if you are worried about it!!! smile

Lots of Turbo 4's & 6's are coming out with the new CAFE fuel mileage requirements.