• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ford F150 Ecoboost?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm definitely not averaging 23mpg. That one tank was with around 7,000 miles, and purely highway. My daily average, which is 50/50 highway/city is right around 19 (and still climbing).

Two things kill the mileage with these trucks. Stop and go driving, and driving over 70. Keep it at 65 on a road trip and you'll be over 22 easily.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got just over 5K on mine and on extended trips at 65 -70 I'm getting 22-22.5 mpg. The one thing that I bought it mainly for however is the towing mileage which is impressive. Towing my boat and trailer, 4,500 lbs, I'm routinely getting 17-17.5 mpg and that's at 55-65 mph- mainly highway. Add to the fact that you barely know it's back there. Very little difference in acceleration towing versus non towing, the torque curve is very flat and it just wants to keep on going. Very impressed so far.

I havent got any problem calls yet about them. A few minor things, but nothing to show a pattern. I would have to say so far the Ecoboost has been a great engine. Ford is working on a reflash for a shudder concern on down shifts.

Jeez, that's better than my 2007 4.0L Ranger with 4x4 and 3.73 ratio. Who would've thought that in only a couple years time, you could step up to a bigger truck with a more powerful engine and get BETTER gas mileage. Towing my 16.5' Alumacraft kills my mileage heading up north. It's $150 round trip in truck gas for 500 miles, so only about 12mpg. Maybe I need to look at an Ecoboost.

Purplefloyd

Careful there wife has a $27000.00 2003 Kia Sorrento EX with 109000 miles on it. Oil changes, tires, and light bulbs are the only thing needed changing. We like it better and better every day and are going to get another Kia Sorrento when replacing this one. It definitely is not a foreign piece of junk!

Tink

Purplefloyd

Careful there wife has a $27000.00 2003 Kia Sorrento EX with 109000 miles on it. Oil changes, tires, and light bulbs are the only thing needed changing. We like it better and better every day and are going to get another Kia Sorrento when replacing this one. It definitely is not a foreign piece of junk!

Tink

Actually I was being sarcastic when I wrote that . The point being that Kia would appear to have more confidence in their vehicles than ford does. Heck, I think Kia has some of the sharpest cars out there right now. Not to hijack the thread but if I was buying a mid sized sedan the Optima would be the one.

Back to the subject.

Hopefully the ecoboost ends up being a winning combination. Ford has taken a back seat in the truck motor category for a while IMHO and this is potentially a game changer if it has the long term reliability they hope it does. I looked at them pretty closely and gave them very serious consideration but decided to go the diesel route instead.

just made a 1840 mile trip with my F-150 crew cab with Ecoboost engine. I had about 6000 miles on the truck when starting this trip. Truck has a 6.5' box and 3.55 gears. Averaged 19.79 mpg on the trip. Best milage was 22.3, worst was 16.21. Speeds were 77-78 on interstate in SD and 72-73 on other interstates. Hit lots of road construction and thats where the truck got the 16.21, stop and go traffic. Overall still very happy with this truck.

one other thing was noticed while driveing. When going up a hill with the cruise on this truck maintained its speed and passed everybody that was going the same speed. Dont know if its the way the cruise is set up or the engine. Did not make a difference what brand the other guy was driving either and that includes other fords. Cant say that I ran into another ecoboost doing a hill with me.

The great thing with that engine and similar engines is they have a ton of torque, and the torque starts very low. So it doesn't need to downshift as much, even on hills. That helps MPG's.