• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frostbite on male dog

fivebucks

I've got a pheasant trip planned this weekend and my dog is an intact male. I haven't had any problem with frostbitten ba!!s until last year on a brutal day. I felt bad for my boy and don't want it to happen again. Anyone have any tips to prevent frostbite on a male dog's boys? I'm thinking maybe udder cream but it will wear off very fast in the field. I am open to suggestions. I know I have to be smart and watch him and stop hunting if I have to so I don't need the preaching, just looking for ways to prolong the hunt. Thanks.

I think you'll have to stop every 15 minutes and cup his jewels in your hand to warm them up!!! smile

Seriously, he'll be fine, his body will pull them up inside as it gets colder out. And if the sack gets a little frost bite, it will give him a REASON to lick them.

LOL, great topic. I would like some incite as well on this, but don't think there will be much out there in ways of protection. I have a boy that is pretty well off in that department. It makes me wince looking at him after a while hunting in cold cattails, dragging those suckers through the cattails leaves him red and raw all the time, even bloody. They do not shrink up ever and he has no fur coat on them like some do. He is just too well hung. So all I can do is just run him, let him heal up for a couple days and go again. I thought if someone would come up with a neoprene Velcro pant that has a hole for the rump and tail and stops just short of the wizzer, that I would pay to buy one. Kind of a K-9 jock strap. Something that would hold em up and keep the road rash at bay. If some one invents one that works I will be the first customer. smile

Last year his jewels got leathery, then peeled and became raw. He was a very restless boy for several days. Even when it was cold they were hanging down and not tucked up. My wife wanted to knit a jock strap for him but I know I could not take the laughing. I guess he'll just have to man up laugh

I think it's off to buy some bag balm. I was initially thinking udder cream and I think this must be about the same stuff I was thinking about. I googled it and Walgreens carries it.

My boy's boys thank you!

Any one see it at fleet farm?

I get it at Fleet Farm. Works great for lots of things. If your pup gets callouses on it's elbows, bag balm helps a lot. And it does a good job if the pads of their paws get dry and cracked, too. Not to mention, it makes your hands silky smooth grin

If you're going with a buddy, maybe he can carry your gun & you can run behind him cupping them with a pair of thinsulate gloves!!

Or then again for the comfort & health of your dog, maybe you should just "bag" the hunt & wait for better conditions!! smile

Then again this could end up as a movie...Brokeback Gopher Mound!!! smile

Hunt was cancelled due to road conditions so, as much as I hate it, I am going to have to hold off on applying the bag balm. I suppose I could practice at home with him but I will procrastinate on that one I'd bet blush

Hunt was cancelled due to road conditions so, as much as I hate it, I am going to have to hold off on applying the bag balm. I suppose I could practice at home with him but I will procrastinate on that one I'd bet blush

Sorry hate to tell you metroites, but no snow here. Maybe had 3" or so but nothing from this blizzard, nota, nuttin, zilch. smile So I am headed out in an hr or so. Stay warm my friends. laugh