• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterfowl Reports

Had another incredible day in western NoDak. Saw another 10,000+ mallards. A lot more geese this time though. If I had a couple days off in a row i'd love to find the field they're munching in. At dusk at least half of the mallards come in one big wave, all from the same direction. fired one shot today, killed a nice greenhead & figured that was a good way to end the shooting. After that i hunkered down and just watched em pile in. Man is that cool, having a mallard tornado land within shooting range!!!

Was out Saturday and Sunday. Shot a honker Saturday and two honkers and two wood ducks this morning. One of the honkers was 14 lbs. weighed on two different scales. Virtually nothing for ducks here in the far southwest corner. Got the two woodies on a sneak. Every lake has geese though.

Two of us went on a short afternoon diver hunt for about 3 1/2 hours before scouting the last 1 1/2 hours of light on Saturday, saw ducks flying all afternoon. Mostly ringnecks with a few others. We ended up with 10 although could have shot 12, passed up on a few hens and shovelers. Our bag was 8 ringnecks, redhead and a canvasback.

Did not go goose hunting, the fog was a killer this morning and birds did not fly til later in the morning when fog had cleared up. Numbers did seem a little down but still plentiful and more snows/blues than last weekend.

I don't enjoy Internet hot spotting, but I will say this: if you're planning a North Dakota trip, go soon.

We saw a lot of migrators moving through Sunday. I think they're beginning to stage in spots. They are roosting in large numbers, so finding transition sloughs or fields is a great way to have multi-day shoots. Weather hasn't been bad, so I wouldn't worry about them leaving the state in a hurry. But there are fresh birds down, which is always a good thing.

I just returned from my dream hunt. Spent 5 days chasing fowl in western MN and then off to Manitoba for 6 days.

Western MN trip was our worst ever for numbers. Our group of 5 mustered up a couple geese and just over a dozen ducks. We had enough for a nice kabob feed and that was about it.

Manitoba: Best hunting trip for our group of 4 in the past 10 years they have hunted there. This was my first trip, but not my last. There are so many ducks in Canada right now, it is absolutely mind boggling. LOTS of blue wing teal living the high life up there if it tells you how the migration is going. Lots and lots of puddle ducks, and not many migrant divers we hoped to hammer on. Our group limited out every day. Highest number of snow geese ever observed by our group up there too. We saw the several flocks of leading edge snows migrate into Nodak on our trip home yesterday.

Local reports while I was gone indicates low population of ducks here in western/west central MN. Hopefully some cold air will push some ducks down fast!

Headed to Nodak right now. Can't wait to get in the blind tomorrow morning! Looks like things might be a little sloppy from all the precipitation lately. A few guys haven't gotten to experience a good field hunt yet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Reports to come soon!

Was out today. Next to nothing for new ducks. Shot one ringbill drake and that was it. Did see eight different flocks of snows heading back to South Dakota so they must have moved last night and for whatever reason were headed back northwest.

and a different lake in the north metro today and shot a one man limit 3 mallards, 3 ringbill. Was 300 yards away from another group that didn't fare as well and another guy at the other side that got a couple.

Best hunt I've been on since opener, what a difference a day makes. Migration underway. smile

I took the kids for a drive and we jumped a pond this afternoon. 3 big drake mally's dumped out of a nice big pile. All northern green beans. This pond has been vacant since around opener. Must be some birds moving in...

On the other hand, we scouted a pond I was planning to hit tomorrow, and it had one flock of no-color beans and some woodies yet. Can't believe the persistence of these wood ducks this year!

Mallards definitely starting to move into western NoDak. Ponds are freezing. Should concentrate em real good. I think my scouting early this year might pay off. I've got a couple bigger deeper ponds that I think might be absolutely loaded tomorrow. I have thw day off so it's game on!!!!