• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow stand log

Archerysniper

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trigger, Id be out there this week if it were me. Weather is supposed to be pretty close to same all week if im not mistaken. But your right hes not going anywheres

10/13 sat the evening and had 1- 6 point at 20 yards at 6:35, only deer seen.

10/14 evening got settled in by 5 with strong winds, winds started to die off around 6, At 6:15 heard them coming towards me. 6:20 second doe of the season is down. She walked directly under stand, offered a perfect quartering away shot at 10 yards. She ran 30 yards stopped and literally just tipped over in her tracks. I sure like it when the shot is right and they do that.

Oh she had at least 4 others with her that were behind her when I shot her one a small 4 point and the rest does.

Hey Trigger. Nice looking buck! He must be pretty large because that body is small compared to that rack. Good luck getting him! My boys and I are going out tonight to the ground blind north of the cities. There are a couple rubs (yes, rubs) within about 30 yards of our blind. Finally, better weather!

I sat for an hour this AM and saw nothing. There is good sign around, but my stand has gone dead!?!? I hope things get active for me soon. I hunt a wooded funnel between a swamp and a corn field (unpicked). Earlier in the season it was used as a staging area and I saw plenty of deer.

I think with the fast death of the woods, the deer are much more heavily in the corn. I have noticed alot less deer in the woods the last couple of times out. On the one farm where most of the corn is picked, I still see deer pretty regularly. The farmers are working pretty much non-stop down here, lots of corn leaving on a daily basis. Looks like they are having a good harvest also, both in yield, and weather. Remember to watch for those wagons and combines on your way to and from the stand, especially at night, they aren't always lit up.

Just talked to my dad who got a call from a friend (truck driver). At 10:30am this morning he spotted 2 big bucks chasing different does out in fields about a mile apart from each other.

Funny but when I had to scrape the windows on the car this morning my first thought was, "I wish I were on my bow stand this morning."

Sometimes I hate it when I'm right!!!!

Last evening was very slow in the stand for me but earlyer this week my mother had told me she saw 3 large bucks cross the road ahead of her after dark on her drive home from work. Still wating for some pre rut action odd to see 3 big boys together hopefully with this cooler weather things will start to shape up.

I'm thinking the rut is going to start early, and go a little longer, but be less intense. Saw lone does without fawns for the first time last night also, probably a sign the does are getting ready.

I was thinking the same thing about the does last night when I was hunting. I have had the same doe and 2 fawns bedded about a hundred yards from my stand about every nightg I have sat there and last night it was just her no fawns.

These early does are just outliers on the bellcurve. It'll continue to grow until it reaches the peak during the 2nd week of November & then wind down again through early December. Same as last year, the year before that, and 100 years from now. The MN firearm season dates weren't pulled out of a hat ya know! laugh

It would be nice to have an early one though wouldn't it? Being able to bowhunt the rut before the orange army invades... wishful thinking.

I'm thinking the rut is going to start early, and go a little longer, but be less intense. Saw lone does without fawns for the first time last night also, probably a sign the does are getting ready.

Have to agree with you Trigger. Everything I have seen and read says this will be a very long rut period with peaks and valleys. The Full Moon in Nov isn't until the 2nd to last week or somewhere around there and supposedly that is very late for the Nov full moon and will affect the rut somehow. My eyes got glazed over when it was explained to me with all the technical stuff......what I actually heard was...blah, blah, blah,......early and long rut....blah, blah, blah.

These early does are just outliers on the bellcurve. It'll continue to grow until it reaches the peak during the 2nd week of November & then wind down again through early December. Same as last year, the year before that, and 100 years from now. The MN firearm season dates weren't pulled out of a hat ya know! laugh

It would be nice to have an early one though wouldn't it? Being able to bowhunt the rut before the orange army invades... wishful thinking.

Stick you nailed it IMO. Every year someone sees some early chasing/breeding and everyone thinks the rut is early or this or that. Its a marathon from now through Dec and the bellcurve describes it perfectly, peaking in mid November every year, year after year. No peaks or valleys except maybe that little hump mid December when we you get a little of that 2nd rut action but that is few and far in between. Now that is not to say your specific area couldn't have a peak or valley if you see activity or some of the doe's using your land come into heat early or late because that can and does happen but the rut as a whole starts and peaks about the same time every year.

The only thing thing the colder weather plays into the rut is when it's hot the does don't want to move during daylight wich causes less rut/breeding sightings colder weather the does are more likely to move during the day wich accounts for more rut activity being witnessed by us. It's all on the amount of day light.

I can say this, the rut is not going down here at all. When it hits, a buck will come and work his way around the field edges and leave scrapes every 50 feet. Nothing like that yet. Again had multiple does in the field last night with no buck sighting. Here's to another week of waiting. It certainly feels like an October lull.

I was out yesterday morning and watched a young 6-point at 50 yards starting to make his scrape line. He's got 2 in the area that I've found so far. This was in the middle of the woods off an old 4-wheeler trail. I've never found anything on it before. Have some decent rubs showing up in another spot I hunt as well. No does though. I can't figure out where they've gone. Normally, where I'm sitting is a highway for them to head to their bedding area.