• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"New" trailer -- need some input

Chode2235

I have a 5x8 trailer that I have been using for my sportsman 700. The thing works great for the ATV, but I want to get a bigger ice shack (otter lodge size) and I will need to carry that as well. I am thinking about a 6x10 utility style trailer?

I also want to be able to use the trailer for some work like hauling junk to the dump, or picking up stuff like plywood etc, and I need to use it for deer hunting.

What kind of trailer do you recommend? Also, my current trailer is steel, is aluminum worth the extra money.

Also, brands, size, and dealer recommendations are welcome. Thanks.

I have a 5x8 trailer that I have been using for my sportsman 700. The thing works great for the ATV, but I want to get a bigger ice shack (otter lodge size) and I will need to carry that as well. I am thinking about a 6x10 utility style trailer?

I also want to be able to use the trailer for some work like hauling junk to the dump, or picking up stuff like plywood etc, and I need to use it for deer hunting.

What kind of trailer do you recommend? Also, my current trailer is steel, is aluminum worth the extra money.

Also, brands, size, and dealer recommendations are welcome. Thanks.

I would go with a 8X10 aluminum tilt snowmobile trailer. I use it for hauling sleds & porty in the winter, Enduro bike, golf cart, Deer stands, Duck boat, lawn waste, etc the rest of the year. End of the season sales should be coming up soon! wink

I disagree, I used to have a 8X10 Floe Alum sled trailer. Sold it after I sold my sleds. Now I have a 6.5'X14' steel trailer with 18" sides, and like it much better. The problem with a sled trailer is they are so wide they catch alot of wind and they have such small tires they take more fuel to pull than a longer narrow trailer with larger tires. They are also built fairly light wich doesnt matter if all you haul are sleds, wheelers and portables but they are only rated for about 1500lbs. The trailer I have now is steel and has a single axle rated for 6000lbs and doesnt pull any harder than my old 8x10. IMO it is alot more usefull trailer.

I would say get aluminum whether you get a snowmobile or utility trailer the maintenance and weight savings will pay for itself i have a 5x10 triton alum trailer from 1995 and it has now rust and is just as nice as when i bought it minus the scratches an dents also it is easier to move around by myself compared to a steel trailer

I just purchased on Friday a 6x10 Newman's aluminum trailer. I got it from a dealer from Mankato. I live in Duluth, and he brought it up to North Branch for me, for 50 bucks. I liked this trailer, as it has a very nice rock gaurd and ramp on it. Also has nice aluminum wheels on it,and led lights. Very nice guy to deal with to. I wanted to go aluminum, because I hate rust. And, these trailers are made in Minnesota. Email me if you want more info. Junky....

newmans1.jpg

newmans2.jpg

No trailer is perfect for every job. I have a 8x10 Aluminum tilt snowmobile trailer. If you get a snowmobile trailer I would suggest a drive on/off style. If I had my choice now I would have gotten a 6x14 aluminum utility trailer with a ramp gate. This way you can drive on with everything hooked up an go. I think aluminum is worth the extra if you can afford it.

check out ALUMA's line of trailers. they make a pretty nice full aluminum trailer

second... I have a 6.5 X 12 and love it. I hauled 2 wheelers to Mille Lacs on it this weekend!!!

Riich....did that shield come with your trailer, of it that available as aftermarket??

What are you pulling the trailer with suv or truck.

I pull my 8X10 trailer with two sleds and a snowblower on it up to my buddies cabin in Outing from the cities with my Vue SUV without a problem. wink

I have a couple SUVs that I would be using to pull the trailer. Most of the time it will be pulled by my Pathfinder.

I like the utility style trailer, mostly for the tire size and not so much width. Thanks for the input guys.

Junky, send me more info. My email is my screen name at gmail dot com.

For what it's worth....I've got an Aluma 6 1/2 by 12 utility trailer, and it's been great. One thing though is if you can get the rear ramp to be foldable, you will save a lot of wind drag. Sometimes mine feels like towing a sheet of plywood standing up.

Folke

For what it's worth....I've got an Aluma 6 1/2 by 12 utility trailer, and it's been great. One thing though is if you can get the rear ramp to be foldable, you will save a lot of wind drag. Sometimes mine feels like towing a sheet of plywood standing up.

Folke

I looked at that but with the additional cost I opted for the non-folding ramp. The folding one seemed pretty awkward to me when I checked them out.

Someone asked about the rock guard on mine, it is factory. I did check with a local supplier and I could have had one bent and formed for 1/2 the cost. Not sure why I didn't do it that way, but I do like this one. Even though it cost $210. Nuts.

Folke

I have the same sized aluma trailer, if i'm just hauling one wheeler, I just lay the ramp down for travel, it helps alot with wind drag. if there's too much on the trailer to fold it down, you're using more power anyway, and what you have on will also create wind drag. I had 2 wheelers on mine this weekend and my wheeler on the back pretty much blocked the ramp so it didn't matter.

8x10 floe snowmobile trailer with atv tie downs and snowmobile tie downs. All around utility trailer best there is no questions. If I were to sell it, there is a better market since both snomobilers and atv owners will look to buy it. A guy can get a good almost new Floe for around 1,000-1300 bucks. They also make a ramp that will attach to the trailer if you don't want to mess around with the tilting of the bed.