• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Practice what you preach.

DonBo

I was archery hunting Sunday night and I shot a buck...in the gut. I clearly saw where the arrow hit. 8" back, and low. The deer walked calmly to about 40 yards away and stood with his head down. I had no shot. I got my binoculars on him and could clearly see the hole and no blood. He slowly walked to about 100 yards and layed down. Now I'm trying to decide if MAYBE I hit one lung, or liver but I know with no blood that if I bust that deer before he's dead I may never see him again. With great difficulty I decide to sneak out as quietly as possible and come back in the morning.

It's been at least 15 - 20 years since I gut shot a deer and the decision for me to wait was tough. I truely enjoy the adventure of a "midnight parol" with lanters following a blood trail. Lot's of things going through my mind on that long night, most not good. Mostly I worried about the deer and the real possibility of not finding him. The best thought I had was that the deer would be right where I last saw him, as the choice I made was the very best (probably only) option of tagging that deer.

Well it was a long night but at 7:15 this morning I walked up to my 10 pointer, right where I left him last night. I was so thankfull! He was stiff and cold. The arrow got into the diaphram so I'm assuming it touched a lung and probably liver. He was probably dead within an hour of hitting him, but who knows? The decision was made and it turned out okay.

I'll never find fault in someone for making the decision to wait-even though I now know how hard a decision that is.

I hit a doe Saturday similar to your description and she walked off and I lost her about 70 yards out. I waited an hour climbed down and my thoughts were confirmed as far as the hit. I had minimal blood to follow but enough to track, never did see her bed down and trailed her to where I saw her last and then backed out and waited. Got a friend to help track, we lost the trail for a bit and found it again about 30 yards from where we lost it by then about 3 hours had passed we continued to work the trail and never did see, hear or find where she bedded but the blood came to an abrupt end in a thicket. Went back the next day and cavassed the area looking down all the obvious trails in the grass and in the thick brush but wasn't able to discover any further sign. I don't think we bumped or pushed her but the trail ended within 30 yards of a water hole. The downside is there are coyotes in the area as I have seen 4 this year from that stand so I'd imagine she ended up on thier table instead of mine. It really stinks when you lose one. Glad to hear you recovered yours Donbo.

Good job Don. Especially when you saw where the arrow hit there really is no other call and you made the right one. Every time I've done it he's been laying right there, you just have to resist the temptation to think the shot was better than it was. Can't wait to see pics.

picts???

I'm so embarrased. I left my camera in the truck and the batteries were dead. I do have some back of the truck shots in my Mom's camera.

IMG_0076-1.jpg

Check out the crab claws at the end of each main beam. Also look how close the tips come to each other.

Excellent, excellent job.

Like you said, waiting is hard, extremely hard, but with archery, a large majority of mortally wounded deer are lost simply because they were pushed too early. This should be an excellent lesson for everyone who reads this.

Congrats Don! Great judgement on your part. As hard as it is for us to do sometimes, the animal deserves that respect! When in doubt back out.

I wonder how that buck could rub his antlers, pretty tough to do w/ the end tines that close together. Was that a WI buck or a MN buck?

Brian

Nice job and deer. I know its very hard to wait for hours to pass on a questionable shot but its got to happen if one thinks they have a marginal hit.

The area we hunt has many yotes but if I have one that was not hit well, I would rather take my chances with the yotes that push the deer. Seems once one pushes one, its all over.

At times, this can be a tough call to make.

I wonder how that buck could rub his antlers, pretty tough to do w/ the end tines that close together.

Brian

Funny you should bring that up. I never thought about it, but the right inside antler base has a spot that is realy worn. Maybe a cable from a power pole or something similar? You can see it in the photo.

Donbo,

Congrats on the buck. But congrats on being a great sportsman and a ethical hunter exposing yourself to the internet on your shot placement it isn't easy. Most wouldn't come on here and state what happened and this makes us hunters look good you did the right thing.

You're teaching everyone to be accountable for your shot and doing everything in your power to recover the deer your a very ethical hunter to say the least. Now I hope others can learn from this and track down there deer just like you did and they to could have a good ending. Awesome post!!!!

mr