• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What happened to Country Music?

DTro

Caught some of the CMA’s on TV last night.

What has happened to Country music? Sure seems like it’s looking for a new identity or perhaps already found one.

-Brooks and Dunn w/ZZ Top

-Teen Idol Teeny Bopper Taylor Swift

-Former College Fratboy band leader Darius Rucker

-Jon Bon Jovi

-The Eagles

Finally heard a good county sound by Jamey Johnson, but then of course Kid Rock interjected. Outlaw country music, isn’t very outlaw anymore.

I preferred the sound of country "when country wasn’t cool”.

(ok, I admit it, maybe Kid Rock is a guilty pleasure) laugh

Country music hasn't been country music since the mid 1980s. It's all basically pop/rock. One of my favorite quotes: "Modern country is just bad rock with a fiddle." - Tom Petty

Love it! Long Live Rock!

I picked up Jamey Johnson's latest CD last week and like it a lot. Nice to hear something different instead of the crossover garbage.

Taylor Swift is a fraud. She couldn't carry a note in a bucket and is a slap in the face of artists who actually can.

I picked up Jamey Johnson's latest CD last week and like it a lot. Nice to hear something different instead of the crossover garbage.

Taylor Swift is a fraud. She couldn't carry a note in a bucket and is a slap in the face of artists who actually can.

Yeah, but man can she take a punch!

Its a marketing game, 15-25 yrs old rule. They have the disposable income and now tech savy to buy the music so we are at the mercy of teenie boppers. Personaly I did enjoy jamie Johnson, and "when Country wasnt cool" But who was that white trash trying to get his mug on TV next to him.

Garth Brooks did have it right when he said God bless Chris Ledoux (RIP), and at least taylor swift knew who Kris Kristofferson is. (Convoy was a great movie btw)

Im not a big fan of most of the new country but I gotta tell ya, my girlfriend picked up Darius Ruckers CD a while back and the whole thing is prety good. And it definatly has a "counrty feel".

Zack Brown Band is also some catchy stuff. Plus thier rendition of Charlie Daniels last night was great!

I thought the whole CMA's was quite good. Carrie's 14 diff dresses were also nice cool Plus she can really sing!

I dont get the Taylor Swift craze though. She won way too many awards last night. She and her songs just have huge "cross-over" success...

I concur, but personaly i blame garth brooks, first album good then nothin but pop. hopefuly jamie johnson will inspire a new outlaw movment. I just remembered zac brown ruined devil went down to georgia just as bad as taylor swift ruined the Def leppard songs. Im now goin to itunes to get "He stopped Loving her Today" and "Wolf Creek Pass", maybe even something from Don williams.

I thought I was the only one left that even knew who C,W Mcall is. Grew up listening to him as a kid along with a few other Trucker singers. C,W Macall cd is in my truck at all times. I even have ate at the Old Home Filler up and Keep on A Truckin cafe in Pisga Iowa, yes its still there and far as I know open.

Now who remembers Phantom 309?

Got a new CD last weekend at the local garage sale place, Johnny Cash's 16 greatest hits or something. Put it on my truck visor between Kid Rock and Metalica.

I do like some new stuff like Montgomery Gentry,Big& Rich ect, and a few others. Grew up on Marty Robbins and such and sometimes still like to hear the oldies. Course its hard to beat old Bocephus.

Lots of great honest opinions from you guys ! there is alot of great traditional country music out there, you have to work a bit kind of like fishing . Satelite radio and the internet are nice tools to use and with time in vested you will find it. I listen to some great traditional honkey tonk music when I travel North America hitting the major rodeos. next month I will be at NFR rodeo in Las Vegas there is allways tons of very good country bands out there. If you ever go to St. Cloud check out Rollies Rednecks and Longnecks they have traditional country bands on sunday afternoons and county/ country rock the other nights. Rollie has Moe Bandy playing there in December and also Waylon Jennings brother tommy will be playing, Hank WilliamsIII,David Ball, Stonewall Jackson,Dale Watson, Little TexasBill Anderson and a lot others I just cannot remember some of the names. When in St Cloud tune your am dial to 800 WVAL when in Aitken listen to 94.3 fm Great country music. I did not watch the cma awards instead I watched the t-wolves ball game . When you see or talk to a disc jockey or a band and you do not like what they are playing make sure to tell them how you really feel!!!!!!!

Country music as it was known was hurting before yesterday but last night could've been the final blow. Granted, genres change with time but what "country" has changed to isn't very good. Corporate Nashville and corporate radio are to blame. They control what you can listen to, they pick their poster child of the year and force feed them to the masses by repeating them every ten minutes. It is now about the dollar and less about the song and music. They take a pop song, water it down with a few over used cliches and then pass it off as country. I've been listening to country since early to mid 80's and have seen plenty of change. Turned off FM radio six years ago when I turned on XM. There are artists out there that keep it real, just have to look a bit being radio won't recognize it. Country can be found in bands such as Jason Boland and the Stragglers, Randy Rogers Band, Wade Bowen, Stoney Larue, Aaron Watson and so many others coming out of the Texas/Red Dirt scene. If you want true outlaw then check out Jackson Taylor and the Sinners or the John D. Hale Band. These bands write and perform their own material and tour just as much as any mainstream band bringing their music to the people.

Country music has pretty much evolved since the day of Hank Williams & Patsy Cline, maybe even earlier.

My grandpa would say that Hank Jr isn't even country, and I'm not sure he's a big fan of David Allen Coe or Charlie Daniel's either. Yet these are the guys I think of when I think of good ole country music. Merle, Waylon, Willie, the Highwaymen. Alot of these guys broke the mold way back when, hence the Outlaw terminology.

Garth Brooks sure seams like traditional country now compared to Jason Aldean or Dierks Bentley, both guys that I love. It may not be "country" in the way of Hank Williams but its a format that I don't mind listening to at all.

IMO... Kid Rock has more appreciation of "country" music than a lot of the acts out there now. smile Come on... you guys LOVE singing Sweet Home Alabama All Summer Long. wink

And I'm really digging Jamey Johnson too!

What do think is going through the minds of Allan Jackson or George Strait, etc? These artists that still play mostly traditional country music, when someone like Kid Rock is on all the country shows. This guy must have some serious dirt on someone that he always gets a big-time spot on these shows! What a joke!

As Barbara sings proudly "I was country when country wasn't cool"!!!

Doesn't get any better than "el paso" from Marty Robbins. Use to take naps with my dad when I was a youngster listening to Marty on the record player.

I thought I was the only one left that even knew who C,W Mcall is. Grew up listening to him as a kid along with a few other Trucker singers. C,W Macall cd is in my truck at all times. I even have ate at the Old Home Filler up and Keep on A Truckin cafe in Pisga Iowa, yes its still there and far as I know open.

Now who remembers Phantom 309?

Got a new CD last weekend at the local garage sale place, Johnny Cash's 16 greatest hits or something. Put it on my truck visor between Kid Rock and Metalica.

I do like some new stuff like Montgomery Gentry,Big& Rich ect, and a few others. Grew up on Marty Robbins and such and sometimes still like to hear the oldies. Course its hard to beat old Bocephus.

Phantom 309 Red Sovign awsome tune. I too grew up on those trucker tunes I use to ride with my dad in the back of a Cab over Peterbuilt listening to those eight tracks. Memories of a child hood when things were simple and grand.