• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

You should see this!

Kyle

This took place in the far east metro today, about 1 mile from my house.

I was driving to town on a dirt road I had never taken before as I am knew to this area. I was going real slow due to the poor road conditions from all of the rain we've had. I glanced to my right and noticed the back of a does head in this stand of pines. I then caught a glimpse of a shiny antler. I was thinkin "wow a buck! It’s probably someone’s decoy or something". I backed up and came to realize it was a real buck, and a huge one at that. Luckily I had my camera so I whipped it out, and rolled down the window. He was only about 30yds from the road. I started snapping pics like no ones business. He just stood there and looked at me. I got out of the car, and took a few more before he turned and trotted off. At this point I couldn’t believe what I just saw, and had to make sure I had the pics to prove it!

I went to town, and on the way back took the same road. I slowed way down when I got to the spot I saw him, just to relive the previous event in my mind. I caught myself scanning the clumps of bushy pine trees hoping to see him again, all the while knowing the chance was almost impossible. Just then, I caught a glimpse of what looked like the outline of a large headset. I back up, and sure enough the big guy hadn’t got more than a few steps, and was now bedded down underneath a pine tree. So I rolled down the window and started snapping pictures again. I really wanted a better angle, so I got out of the car, and walked towards him a little and to the right. He just layed there; (probably thinking that I couldn’t see him). I snapped a few, got a little closer, and that’s when he got up, and I was able to take the last picture before he ran, which turned out to be the best one.

What can I say, huge deer, huge rack, and a perfect day for a picture! I feel so lucky to have been able to see him with my own eyes let alone get almost 30 pictures of him. I know most people never get to experience something like this with this caliber of deer, and to be honest I highly doubt it will ever happen like this again! It’s funny because my girlfriend, her parents, and my friends are always commenting on how I’m always looking into the fields and woods, even when riding in a car (usually not while driving except in this case). They don’t hunt so they think it’s kind of obsessive and humorous to point. Well I guess this is what can happen when you always keep an eye peeled!

I have an idea in my head of what this one will score but I want to know what others think. Here are the pictures:

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

IMG_2749.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg

Im thinking he's close, maybe a little shy of 160. He's mostly symetrical so their shouldnt be any deductions , tall, has a ton of mass of which he carries throughout, Not super wide, but definitely not narrow; though I have seen wider deer. Though I have not killed any real large bucks like this myself, I have scored quite a few racks in my day...not saying I'm a pro or anything, but I'm not green. Also, I threw in a season of whitetail freaks, and this buck looked to be as big if not a little bigger than most of the bucks on this season(not all) and alot of them were scored at 160 even....Just my opinion.

I actually had my bow in my car, but didn't really think about it at the time. I thought the buck would run as soon as I stopped the car so I quickly grabbed the camera. I definitely could have waxed this deer at 30yds, but it would have been a pretty illegal, and unethical shot from the road. He sat there long enough to get 5 shots off if need be...What was really crazy is when I found him the second time 45 mins later bedded down.

This is probably the only mistake this big guy has ever made in his life, and will most likely be the last one before he dies of old age/starvation/disease/becomes prey. Its just so rare to see a deer of this caliber in general let alone the setting I did. So, Im pretty sure no one is going to come out here and track this big guy down...lol. Thanks for the kind words.