• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Friend Hit one last night

kevfish1

A friend arrowed a nice buck last night . after waiting an hour we tracked the deer which was not bleeding at all except for a couple of small drops we found by looking where he seen the deer run. I then spooted the deer standing in the river on the the bank. half in the water and half out. We backed out of the woods and are going to look in the morning,We were only 20 yards from the deer and it just stayed there as we talked about what to do. We are hopefull to find the deer right there where we seen him. The deer was on the other side of the river. The land owner gave us permission to go on his land in the am. hope we find him. My friend thought he hit the deer right behind front shoulder but half the arrow is all that went in.

A friend arrowed a nice buck last night . after waiting an hour we tracked the deer which was not bleeding at all except for a couple of small drops we found by looking where he seen the deer run. I then spooted the deer standing in the river on the the bank. half in the water and half out. We backed out of the woods and are going to look in the morning,We were only 20 yards from the deer and it just stayed there as we talked about what to do. We are hopefull to find the deer right there where we seen him. The deer was on the other side of the river. The land owner gave us permission to go on his land in the am. hope we find him. My friend thought he hit the deer right behind front shoulder but half the arrow is all that went in.

If you saw him standing 20 yards away, why weren't you doing everything you could to put another arrow in him? He is most likely gut shot.

You should be able to find him close to where you left him if he didn't get spooked, but I would always recommend a follow up shot in the situation you describe especially if you have a chance at 20 yards.

Quote:
If you saw him standing 20 yards away, why weren't you doing everything you could to put another arrow in him? He is most likely gut shot.

You should be able to find him close to where you left him if he didn't get spooked, but I would always recommend a follow up shot in the situation you describe especially if you have a chance at 20 yards.

I was thinking the same thing, however, we do not know the whole story.. So lets not jump to conclusions.

We found the dear right away this morning. A dandy 6 point with a huge body.

As for taking another shot last night I would say this. First of all the dear was on the other side of the river. On property that we do not have permission to be on. second of all it was totally dark out. The dear left no blood trail at all. So we could not say for 100% certain this was the dear. Although a strong assumption because it just stood there as we talked. And we could not tell for sure if it was behind any small branches or not.

So to take Take a shot would have been a gamble. And if we did there was a chance of shooting a second dear, on someone elses land and shooting way after legal hours. and wounding a second dear. So we are happy with the decision to back out and wait. This also gave us time to gain permision from the landowner to look for the dear.

Kev

I think you made the right decision and left it and got permission. Its hard for another to tell one what they should have done when they are no there.

Nice job on letting it die and not pushing it until you lost it.

Too many times deer are pushed hard and never recovered. Deer have an amazing will to live.

I must say that when I read this post this morning, my first thought was, why not stick him again?

After your explanation I now understand, and better yet I say you made a great ethical decision.

Congrats on the deer!!

Good job on the tracking and the decisions made both before and after seeing the animal. Great ethics displayed and congrats! My first thought was the deer was gut shot when I read the initial post. It could also have been a high lung hit as well but I would have expected the deer to pile up within 50-70 yards not stand and look at you from across the water. Would you care to tell us where the shot entered and exited? Great education info for the rest of us on the board. Again, great job and kudos on the decisions you made!

Tunrevir~

The arrow went in a little high behind front shoulder and stuck in hind quarter on other side. Friend said it was quartering away so it must have duct and turned at the shot. cliped the very top of one lung. Is it possible for it to still be up that long when the very top of one lung is hit??