• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scent

Scoot

I've had very mixed results with putting scent out in the past. One thing I've noticed is that when I walk over and place some doe in heat scent, the deer come to it, but when they get where I walked, they get my scent from having walked there. Anyone have any tips on how to put scent pads out without leaving your scent all over?

I've had very minimal success with scents except at scrape locations. I've pretty much quit using them. No scent is the best scent is what I've come up with over the years. I'd like to experiment more with actual deer parts though. It's hard to remember all those things in the field. I would've liked to have extracted some fresh pee from Kathleen's doe the other night but forgot all about it while field dressing. An actual tarsal gland would be another one I've wanted to try.

I like to attach a drag rope to a stick about 6 feet long to keep the scent trail out of my footprints I also spray my rubber boots down with scent killer before I leave the truck. I have had very good results doing this and my biggest bow kill to date was taken this way on Oct 23 useing the drag and also making mock scrapes really had him aggrivated.

fox urine has worked VERY well for me as far as conceilment goes. I spray it on my rubber boots before I walk in, and then a couple squirts at the base of my tree. Cant tell you how many deer have come right to my tree and sniffed it, and just went about their business. I really like it because it makes them feel comfortable, while conceiling any possible scent on me, and you cant smell it from any kind of a distance(such as using skunk odor).

I have also had bucks come in on estrus drags that Ive done, but on between the last week in october and the first week in november.

If you were wearing leather boots, you will leave a scent trail of your own even after spraying a scent killer on them! When wearing my rockys i also wear rubber/vinyl rubbers over them, or rubber boots if the temps will allow. I then spray them with a scent killer.

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I've tried spraying the bottom of my boots and I've worn rubber boots- neither have done me any good. I quit wearing rubber boots since it didn't seem to help.

Have you ever tried spraying the scent right on the bottom of your boots before you start walking or wearing the pads that strap to the bottom of your boot? Thats what I usually do but Ive never really had much luck with scents.

Never spray doe esterous anywhere on your person or you may find yourself saying yes dear to a very horny buck!

I've had very mixed results with putting scent out in the past. One thing I've noticed is that when I walk over and place some doe in heat scent, the deer come to it, but when they get where I walked, they get my scent from having walked there. Anyone have any tips on how to put scent pads out without leaving your scent all over?

Scoot,

Are you sure they're smelling your scent? Could it be the deer scent you were using went bad and the deer didn't like it when they got closer? Doe scent gets ammonianated when it starts breaking down.

I've had deer jerk back when they've hit doe scent I've put out, but like you, I've experienced mixed results with using it.

I've had deer walk my same path after coming in with leather hunting boots, had deer bolt from my path after coming in with hip waders. Sometimes you just never know.

I prefer to wear rubber boots and spray them down with scent killer. I keep my scents in ziplock bags (doubled), keep it cooled, and use new scent wicks every couple weeks. If I hang the wicks by hand, I either use the outer ziplock as a glove or actually wear rubber gloves but won't touch them with my bare fingers.

Some times if I think my track might leave scent where I really don't want it but I want my wick there, I'll thread the wick on a stick and chuck to the spot like a spear.

It's my own personal fantasy that's the best way to do it since I have no solid proof any of this business actually works - but it's mine, and it's all I got. grin

To cover ones scent when walking, the best I have found is when I'm walking to my stand is to step into a cowpie and smear it around on my rubber boots. I walk through every cowpie I see. I have even gone to the point of putting some on my pants with a stick to help cover up what ever scent I may have left on me.

The deer have no concern about that smell. Thats if you have cows in the area you are hunting.

It will dry on ones boots and it washes off very easy. Great stuff for covering up your trail when walking in and the best part is, its free.

Scoot, if your at the ranch, the areas to the east and west of the house have cattle now so the cowpies are not a issue. To the north, no cattle.