• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Bow stand Log thread.

alwaysonthemove

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been out all day the last two days and 10:00-10:30 and 2:00-2:30 have been dynamite. Since Friday I have seen at least 12 different bucks with the majority between the hours of 10:00 and 2:00. If you can't sit all day, this is probably one of the best times to be out now.

Strange thing tonight. Went out in the hurricane. Saw two deer in the field when I got out there. Very surprised as it was only 3:15. Around 5:30 I finally see deer feeding in the picked corn field. Its a doe and her twin fawns. Anyway, they feed by me at about 20 yards. The big doe is in the lead. One fawn is only 20 yards away. I figure that this is very good, if a buck is in the area, he'll come out. Sure enough, after about 10 minutes, here comes a nice buck, he trots right up to the doe. The two fawns take off and run back the way they came. I slowly slide to the front of the stand because he will not be coming from behind and I'd need to take a shot as he is coming from in front of me and I don't want to stand. He gets about 15 yards from the doe, turns around and trots back in the woods. What the @$%@* was that all about. That poor doe just sat there, looking rejected as all get out. I thought for sure that she was going to turn and head back with her fawns and that he would follow giving me a shot. What the heck happened? The wind wasn't blowing in his direction, and it was so windy that there is no way he heard me, I was also very well concealed as there was quite a bit of brush between the two of us. I was baffled.

I've been noticing a lot of activity from 11-12am on the cameras as well. Haven't been seeing squat in the hour I can hunt in the mornings before work. If any of you guys follow the moon at all, 12:25pm is the peak today, moving an hour later each day. It'll be between 4-5pm this weekend. Should make for a great opener for the orangemen.

Second deer in two days for me this morning! Was just standing up to get ready to leave and I see a buck up the hill from me. He was zig zagging around smelling for does. I grunted at him and he came down the hill fast. I grunted with my mouth to stop him at 12 yards. The shot was back a little farther than I wanted, but still solid in the rib cage. He didn't go far and I watched him go down.

Not the monster I had hoped for but with just 3 more days before the guns stsrt blazing I wasn't going to be real pickey. Thought I was shooting at a 7 pointer but he didn't have any brows.

I'm with Deitz now, gonna head to Wisconsin and try to fill that tag this weekend.

grunted a bit last night just as the sun hit the horizon. a 6 came blasting in, all p-o'd, and went to a pine tree, and started making a scrape. as i was watching through the nockers, he whipped around, and bailed into the woods. nothing happened for about 10 minutes, so i grunted softly, and a small 8 tears out into the open, looking for a challenge. he worked to me, as i just watched, and went into the woods.

i could see from a distance my dad combining beans, so i pulled up the nockers, and watched about 9 or 10 fawns and yearlings dinking around in the harvested field. where are the does, and big bucks? that question has me scratching my head

Before I shot my buck this year the does were coming in the field like clock work. Then two different nights a small buck chased them all off the field. The does didn't come back during daylight hours after that. I think with the full moon and the small bucks harassing the does they to go nocturnal. JMO

Good times.

Sat from 10-2 today and had a doe come by at 11:30 and a forky at 10 yards at about 12:00, saw a decent one running a treeline on my way home, sitting all day Thursday and Friday so hopefully the mature ones start to prowl around during the day as well.

Ran a little late getting out tonight got up in the tree at 3:55 at 4:15 heard some deer running in the swamp look out and her comes a doe and two yearlings running right at me once they get into the wood I hear the buck grunting with every step hopeing he follows the does I draw and instead of coming into 15 like the doe's he's about 20 yards in the thick brush and won't stop just kept chasing he was a monster. About ten minutes later have a doe come running through right under the stand get ready thinking the giant is behind her and out steps a little 6 he turns and goes back north alittle while latter look to my left and see a doe walking in the pines and right behind her was a 130" 8 point he was not chasing her just following and feeding he makes his way to 50 yards and then just feeds of into the pines then right at dark had a buck make his way into 40 yards feeding at me and I could see atleast 10" of antlers sticking past his rump on each side he was even bigger than the 1st one and was really wide and tall but it was too dark by the time he turned broadside so I let him walk off and waited awhile before sneeking out of the stand. Man that got the the blood pumping cant wait for tomorrow.

i sat from 11:30 till dark didn't see any deer.at about 4:45 i heard something making all kinds of noise in the leaves about 20 yards from my stand,it sounded like a deer coming in fast but it turned out to be a red squirrel chasing a grouse i never seen that before,he had that bird running all over before he gave up.

Sat out tonight. Small doe early. A little later i see another doe goin through the slough. Off a ways i hear a buck grunt. So i used the bleat can once. Less than a minute later theres a smaller 8 point right under me. Hes lookin all over for that hot doe. Doesnt find one and goes back in the swamp. Then 2 more does come out at a distance. Right before dark i hear water splashin in the swamp. He gets down wind and starts snorting. Couldnt tell what it was, but definately a mature deer.