• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Bow stand Log thread.

alwaysonthemove

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't get home early enough last night so I drove over to one of the places I hunt. The corn is out of the field and man were there deer out there. There was 8 does and fawns in the one corner with 2 does out farther about 200yds, a doe and a fawn just across the road from where my stand sits, and 3 more just below my stand. Wish I could have been out in the stand...would have been fun with all those deer around. I think I am gonna give that spot about a week or so till I hunt it again to let everything rest.

thanks guys,i have to say i was a little leary releasing the arrow after what happened with the spiker and missing the other doe.but i got a good shot on her and she walked about 15 yards and tipped over.after i missed the doe the other day by shooting high i found out what happened,i think.i took my release apart to give it a good cleaning because it was getting crude around the bearings,it is a little goose release,when i put it back together i ended up putting it together a little longer than i was shooting with.it has 4 holes for length adjustment and i keep it in the number 3 hole but when i put it back together i had it in number 4 which gave me a shorter draw.i did notice when i drew i had a hard time anchoring and being able to see through the peep i had to lift my head a little which must have caused the bow to tip up resulting in hitting high.i was shooting it yesterday to check things out and i am right on at 20,30,40 yards,i can get 3 arrows to almost touch each other at those ranges.

hoping to head out friday afternoon I have a few options of where to go let me know what you think all are public land

Vermillion higlands I havent been there in a week or two and dont know if someo of the corn is out or not I can only hunt there until the 31st and thats it

St Peter- area 169, 99 areas

stay in the local 601 area

Carlos Avery- havent been there at all this year

I would hunt the land that you can ony hit until the 31st. Might as well use it while you can. I would not be optomistic about the corn being out, but right now, the deer are hitting it pretty heavy. If you can get on a trail leadiing to it, you will more than likely see something.

Told my dad yesterday to go hunt my stand in the evening. (He's been hunting hard in wisconsin and hasn't seen a deer this year.) I shot a big doe out of my stand two weeks ago. last night his bad luck broke, and he downed a very big body buck. The rack was very small and disportionate to the body. It came through a half hour to 45 min. before dark. They are movin more and more lately. location east central Mn.

despite the windy weather I saw three does last night. one was not spooky at all the other two where on edge the whole time. On my way back to the truck I had a Lost dog wonder up to me. Good thing he had some tags was able to locate the owner who was very happy to hear from me and brought him his dog.

was down in buffalo county the last three days saw tons of deer saw a 150 and a 170 and a few small bucks could get the 170 to stop he was chasing does and the 150 was to far, saw tons of scraps the rut is starting a littal the older does are starting to go into heat it will be rocking by the 31 if it stays cold and it would help if the leafs start falling off.

One doe this morning. Had around 4+ inches of snow in the area that will be gone by this afternoon, roads and weather were so crappy, I never made it out last night. Scrapes were already opened up when I got out there this morning. Some BIG prints in the muddy cornfield along with numerous doe prints. Still nocturnal. Waiting for the doors to blow off, should be soon.

Great morning, no harvest, but Melissa(wife) got to find out just how quiet a deer can be, all of a sudden a buck was just yards from her, he circled her and walked out to 15 yards broadside and she was able to get a shot off, but she missed.

Wasn't long after that it walked right to me, he walked within 12 yards of me and I passed, he was a 10 pointer, but real young, not outside the ears and spindly rack. I am very happy with my decision to let him walk. I would have have been delighted to see her harvest him being her first, but I need to wait yet. Did not seem real interested in doe bleats at all.

Had two buck fawns within 10 yards of my ground blind tonight . Mom was coming smile but a hiker with a BIG dog spooked her and the two others that were coming in just as I was drawing. frown

So I just set a stand about 20 yds off a main trail coming out of some thick popples and a swamp. I am also about 30yds from a corn field. There are trails running up and down the corn field, and prints in the corn field where there is an open area. Tons of fresh scat, and a very large scrape and a rub(which happen to be on the main trail coming out of the swamp. Ive never really hunted corn before, and my question is, will these deer be running around in the morning hours of light? do they literally eat corn right off the stalk? They dont really have anywhere else to go once they get to the corn because on the other side is a driveway. Just wondering if anyone can give me any insight to this setup. I plan to hunt in the morning, but am not sure if this sounds like more of an evening spot?

The deer eat corn right off the stalk if you think about it it's easier for them to do,as far as hunting it in the morning you will have to try to get to your stand without going through the field that is were the deer will be in the morning so you will have to be in the tree early and your shot might be at first legal seconds in the morning,deer also feel safe in corn fields it is like second growth popple to them lots of cover around my area once they see some hunting pressure this is were they go and will not leave them until it is pitch black or you drive the field and most of the time on a drive they will just let you walk past unless you step on them

hunting was a little wet this morning to say the least. I got out of the stand at about 10 to 9 due to my sopping wet pants and gloves. Funny thing was it wasnt even raining, more of a mist but everything was soaked and the trees were draining on me hard. It was a real quiet, and mildly foggy morning, and was day dreaming about a bruiser stepping out...but obviously it didnt happen. Hopefully this precipitation ceases before dark so I can get back out before the deer start to move.

Got to a woods I haven't hunted this year last night and I saw 3. I was concerned when I arrived since the neighbors across the road had a ton of people in the woods building stands for gun season.

The first one was far off over by another deer stand and I couldn't tell what it was. The way it was zig zagging back and forth I figure it was a buck out searching.

I waited a bit and let out 3 grunts and picked up my bow but I hear something coming from the other way. It's a spike and I let him walk at 5 yards.

About ten min later I hear something coming from behind me. It's a 7 pointer and I let him walk at 5 yards as well.

Fun Night.