• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

banjo minnow

Quinn

I just bought the banjo minnow kit the other day. There is some well know fisherman that supposedly swear by them confused (Their supposed to act like an injured minnow when jerked properly). Has anyone used them and if so how do you like them?

I actully have caught several fish on them. Not my "go to" lure by any long shot but they are fun to take out and mess around with.

If you figure out how to work them and catch fish on them, more power to you.

and welcome to the site

My dad got hooked on the Banjo minnow a number of years ago and of course bought me and my brother a kit for Christmas one year. I used them quite a bit one summer and I caught a lot of bass with them. They worked as advertised, but there are equally effective ways to fish plastics that are just easier to use.

One of my best fishing stories involved the Banjo Minnows. One of my fishing buddies still talks about it every time we go out.

He about laughed his head off when I told him I fell for the advertisement -"Fish are genetically programmed to eat the Banjo Minnow." He repeated that about 20 times as he caught bass from the back of the boat, after I'd go over them with the Banjo.

I'm pretty stubborn at this point and getting frustrated, because it does look good, and my pride is at stake. Suddenly, a legit 20"er comes after it, strikes it, and tears it off the hook!! She spits the Banjo out, swims aways away, and see's it slowly fluttering down to the bottom, and comes back, inhales it, and swims away!! Shortly after, he want's to know how much they cost, and mumbles something about "genetic response." lol.

Haven't used them for over 15yrs. Didn't realize they were still around, to tell the truth. They definately look great in the water, and can be fun to fish with. Good luck.

I have had them for a few years now.If the stars are lined up,the moon is right,the wind is right,the sun is at the right angle,you pick the right color and if you twitch em right,they are the hottest thing going.They are either hot or not.I like to use them for sight fishing small mouth,large mouth and northerns,(no leader=lost minnows) you will know with in a couple casts if they will work that day.If they are working they are a blast.I also have had luck using the minnows on the back end of a big olde buck tail mepps spinner or a white double spinner.I have never caught a walleye on one but will continue to try from time to time.

Bought the set last summer and fished it for the first time in a metro lake and landed a nice largemouth. I will try it some more this year and see what happens. They defenitely do look attractive in the water as do many other baits for that matter.

Originally Posted By: zepman
Babe Winkleman loves them.

. . . yeah . . . Babe gets paid to love them . . .

Haha true grin but the camera doesnt lie and if you have seen his show where he uses these up in canadia 4 post-spawn pike, its pretty amazing. But to be honest I can never find the big ones so instead I fish a Storm Kickn' Minnow and love them for sight fishing skies. I broke of the lip on the 6" version and just let it fall right in front of their face, then hop it once and game over! Not much tops the sight of a 45" skie crushing a bait right under your feet smile

My oldest son says he used to catch quite a few bass with them under docks about 8-10 years ago. I purchased a set for my youngest son for Xmas a couple years ago, but I don't think he's tried them much.

A couple observations about the banjo minnow- When I look at the larger ones (6-8"?) It looks like the hooks are of a very thin wire. I don't think the hooks would hold up to a big fish. Also, the hooks are attached by a small wire about 1/4 inch in front of the bait. I wonder if the would be subject to a lot of short strikes?

I've never tried them myself.

Originally Posted By: Shorelunch

He also loves the Rocket Launcher fishing rod!!

if i ever saw anyone teaching their kid to fish with one of those.. i would probably find it my responsibility to "set them straight"... i almost had an aneurysm when i saw that commercial

I've fished the lake and the bays that Babe filmed in Canada using the Banjo. In those particular conditions baits like that work very well. That was right after ice out and all sight fishing for fish that were not particularily aggressive. Have not used that brand myself but have used similar baits in the same conditions with success.

I've fished the lake and the bays that Babe filmed in Canada using the Banjo. In those particular conditions baits like that work very well. That was right after ice out and all sight fishing for fish that were not particularily aggressive. Have not used that brand myself but have used similar baits in the same conditions with success.

Here's a hint . . . they generally don't film fishing shows or commercials, for that matter, when conditions aren't ideal. They're filming when the bite is, or usually is, on. Plus, they don't film commercials on a overfished metro area lake, they go north. I believe Berkley did their Gulp studies where they "proved Gulp out fishes live bait" on the Canadian side of LOTW and either Rainy or Lac Seul. Sometimes, you can catch fish with a dried up twig and shoelace up there.

As Homer Simpson says, "if it's on TV, it must be true" right? laugh

Originally Posted By: Shorelunch

He also loves the Rocket Launcher fishing rod!!

There's a name for ya. I wonder if he rides in a radio flyer boat. laugh

Thought it was funny but I guess we sometimes do get hung up on brand names. grin