Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blainebob

Crappies on Chubby Darters?

57 posts in this topic

Jus wondering if anyone has caught any crappies or gills on the #3 chubbys? I just got a bunch and was wondering. I've caught eyes and perch on #4s and bigger, but never used the smaller ones.

I caught one on a #4 but it was by accident. I hooked it underneath the mouth.

Neiko, same here the only thing I have ever pulled out of a lake with the 2 I have had for the last three years, is just today I snagged a little Laker in 72'. I do pull them out and try them every once in a while hoping that some day the magic will started! frown

These lures are better at caching fisherman moreso than fish.

I have caught a couple LMs on mine, but never a crappie.

I've caught crappies on the #3 hot perch. Not a goto lure by any stretch just a switchup to pick off the aggresive ones.

I use them as a decoy. When I stop marking fish a drop one down and start ripping it. Dont take long and there is a pile of pannies there checking it out. Reel it in and procede to catch them on my regular rig.

Yeah I bought quite a few thinking they would be the ticket this year and I maybe have used them twice with no fish.

I use them as a decoy. When I stop marking fish a drop one down and start ripping it. Dont take long and there is a pile of pannies there checking it out. Reel it in and procede to catch them on my regular rig.

Did the same thing today too. Dropped it down in a spot where I usually fish,jigged it for a minute,and had a bunch of pannies show up. Then I dropped down a Genz worm to pullem in. Did catch a 9inch gill on it though.

Only Eyes on mine. But havent tried to much for Crappies on them. Other people I have talked to have the same report on them.

Try them with a 6-12 inch dropper that has either a perch eye or a small jig attached . As a decoy they also draw attention .

TD

Try them with a 6-12 inch dropper that has either a perch eye or a small jig attached . As a decoy they also draw attention.

If you are referring to using the eye of a perch (and not an artificial bait) it is illegal in Minnesota. We cannot use parts of game fish for bait.

Bad for crappies good for walleyes. Tryed on really aggressive fish and nothing but the fish would hit buckshots and other pimps. But they do attract fish ill give them that.

What are some other things that work to attract the crappies in. I have been using a forage minnow as a dropper rig and it really seems to bring the action in and some nights bring up the most fish. But that last few times we have been out with the fishing pressure dropping with the ice conditions, the fish have been real scattered at first and it seems like we have to get our lines in the water before we start marking fish. So I am interested in this technique of using other jigs to bring in the fish and then catch them on other set ups.

Me too... E-mail me and I'll send you my address if you don't want your darters... I've had a touch of luck with them. It's been a tough winter for me but I have caught a few on the darter in perch and in the silver minnow colors. I'd have to say that the craps I caught with it were a few of my largest this ice season. Must have been aggressive.

I will probably still give them another shot, I never got them out this winter, but may try a couple new colors next winter.

I have caught quite a few crappies with my #4 darters fishing for walleye. My bites always come while holding it still and it is swing back to center or they are there when I lift up again. I think the biggest thing with them is building the confidence and getting over the hump that there is no meat down there. Been chasing rainbow trout the last couple of weekends and they were smacking darters as well. I was just trying to use them as a decoy but they ended up working. Going to get some 3's now and see if they are even better for the trout.