• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappies on Chubby Darters?

Blainebob

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neiko, same here the only thing I have ever pulled out of a lake with the 2 I have had for the last three years, is just today I snagged a little Laker in 72'. I do pull them out and try them every once in a while hoping that some day the magic will started! frown

I use them as a decoy. When I stop marking fish a drop one down and start ripping it. Dont take long and there is a pile of pannies there checking it out. Reel it in and procede to catch them on my regular rig.

Did the same thing today too. Dropped it down in a spot where I usually fish,jigged it for a minute,and had a bunch of pannies show up. Then I dropped down a Genz worm to pullem in. Did catch a 9inch gill on it though.

Try them with a 6-12 inch dropper that has either a perch eye or a small jig attached . As a decoy they also draw attention.

If you are referring to using the eye of a perch (and not an artificial bait) it is illegal in Minnesota. We cannot use parts of game fish for bait.

What are some other things that work to attract the crappies in. I have been using a forage minnow as a dropper rig and it really seems to bring the action in and some nights bring up the most fish. But that last few times we have been out with the fishing pressure dropping with the ice conditions, the fish have been real scattered at first and it seems like we have to get our lines in the water before we start marking fish. So I am interested in this technique of using other jigs to bring in the fish and then catch them on other set ups.

Me too... E-mail me and I'll send you my address if you don't want your darters... I've had a touch of luck with them. It's been a tough winter for me but I have caught a few on the darter in perch and in the silver minnow colors. I'd have to say that the craps I caught with it were a few of my largest this ice season. Must have been aggressive.

I have caught quite a few crappies with my #4 darters fishing for walleye. My bites always come while holding it still and it is swing back to center or they are there when I lift up again. I think the biggest thing with them is building the confidence and getting over the hump that there is no meat down there. Been chasing rainbow trout the last couple of weekends and they were smacking darters as well. I was just trying to use them as a decoy but they ended up working. Going to get some 3's now and see if they are even better for the trout.