• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A-Rod is a cheater

walleyeking19

I hear you Big Dave, thanks for the clarification. I still can not look at these guys with the same admiration as before. I just can't help thinking about guys who played by the rules and got cheated or passed over because of the "edge". I just did not want to see kids thinking that if the superstars do it then why shouldn't they.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you Big Dave, thanks for the clarification. I still can not look at these guys with the same admiration as before. I just can't help thinking about guys who played by the rules and got cheated or passed over because of the "edge". I just did not want to see kids thinking that if the superstars do it then why shouldn't they.

People will always be trying to gain an "edge". Like I said before, there are plenty of "legal" substances out there that will help someone get an edge that someone before them did not have. Even the equipment that is used today and the fitness knowledge that players have compared to earlier generations. You just can't compare different periods in time.

How would you guys feel if you were the guy who lost his starting job to................

Sammy Sosa

Mark McGuire

Roger Clemons

and all the rest. These are the cream of the crop players and would have been starters regardless of if they used steroids or not. However, the intention of competition is to ensure that players are equal except for natural abilities. Otherwise all bats would be corked. Pitchers would throw marbles from 50 feet and fielders would use gloves the size of hockey goalie catchers gloves. The 'roids mean nothing if ALL players are using. However some have chosen to follow the rules of society and the game.

That is the difference and why this is important to baseball.

Guys are amazing athletes whether they do things without steroids or not. Heck, guys in AAA are amazing athletes but that doesn't give the right for anyone of them to become more of an athlete by cheating.

Spit balls, scuffing of balls, vaseline all make a pitchers pitch move more. That is cheating, its not hurting anyone else. Should we legalize that also. Maybe we should let people cork thier bats. We can have super balls flying all over the Dome when someone breaks a bat. Its cheating but no biggie right?

Steroids when not abused arent as bad as the media would like you to believe.

Watch a movie called bigger, faster , stronger.

Are we only worried about the health issues or are we concerned about the effects of the game and advantages given to those who use steroids?

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
Steroids when not abused arent as bad as the media would like you to believe.

Watch a movie called bigger, faster , stronger.

Are we only worried about the health issues or are we concerned about the effects of the game and advantages given to those who use steroids?

I would have to say that the rules are in place for the former not necessarily the latter.

Originally Posted By: mjgrose
He got in because he did a flip running to short. smile

Yep...Ozzie is in the HOF for his flip, his amazing glove, his amazing range, charisma, and being on a winning team much of his career. His hitting had absolutely nothing to do with Ozzie being a household name.

Ozzie might not have hit 500 career HRs, but he was pretty much close to a .300 hitter most of his career, and a perennial All Star because of his stellar defense.

15 time All Star

13 time Gold Glove

Silver Slugger Award winner (once)

That warrants HOF entrance if you ask me.

I didn't say he didn't belong in the HOF. I was only saying it was not his bat that got him. Your hitting stats are inaccurate on Ozzie. In 19 seasons he only hit over .290 twice and never higher than .303. In fact, 7 years were below .250. His lifetime average is .262 and career OBP is .337. It was his glove that got him in.

I think just about all of the players are on roids, that's the way it is. They made the choice to take them and there really is no way around it. There are ways they can beats those tests and I don't think we are at the end of the steroid era. I think it will be around forever. Love it or hate it, call it cheating if you want, it made baseball more exciting for the fans.

BTW- Joe Mauer is probably one of few who are not on roids.

What was that load of carp A-Rod was slinging. The next words I expected to hear after he went into that fake welling up and choking routine was.....And the Oscar goes to.........!

I guess we can add him to the collection of tools in the shed! Maybe not the biggest but he is in the shed fo sho. LOL

I don't even care anymore. Nothing is a sacred. nobody has character.

How many of you can honestly admit that you wouldn't take roids for 6 months if you could double or triple your income for the next 6 years. I don't make millions, but I would do it. Plus I'd be totally buff!

Baseball didn't have a steriods policy for a long time. Yes, it was against the law, but so is a lot of stuff that people do and get away with. I'm not saying it is OK, but to have a 20 year absence of inductees into the HOF is rediculous. Or to call for guys to be kicked out of the game.

Preposterous statement: I think in Basketball if the ball goes off your hand and you point the other way and tell the ref you didn't touch it, YOU ARE A CHEATER, you should be banned from the game.

My point is cheating is cheating, you get caught you do the time. Then you move on.

The bottom line is its entertainment! the "roid-heads" entertained us, get over it.

What was that load of carp A-Rod was slinging. The next words I expected to hear after he went into that fake welling up and choking routine was.....And the Oscar goes to.........!

I guess we can add him to the collection of tools in the shed! Maybe not the biggest but he is in the shed fo sho. LOL

You tell me how you would be able to get choked up when for 2-3 years you injected yourself and have signed 2 contracts for 1/2 a billion dollars.......I would get choked up just thinking about all that money I tricked people into giving me and so far no consequnce other than ridicule from the fans and media.....he could retire and buy his own island and never hear from anyone again.....ahh the life of a con artist!!!