• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First BB gun how old....

Pickelfarmer

I have a six year old that I would like to get a bb gun for. He is very interested in shooting with me and I have a pellet gun that I like to take out in the back yard and shoot every now and then and he loves to come out and watch and ask questions about it. I'm wondering if you guys think 6 is to young. I think he would do well with it as he is pretty mature at 6 but he like every other 6 year old has a little bit of a playfull side. I know he would take having his own gun very seriously and if I do get him one, of course he would only be allowed to use it under my supervision. Any thoughts or maybe storys on your own expereinces with this??? Or do you think no matter what hes just to young? I know it says on the bb gun box that its for ages 10 and over. confused

I bought my sons a break action air rifle when they were younger (8 & 12). One thing that interested my youngest the most was the addition of a red dot scope. He loved to sit on the patio shooting cans in the back yard.

One thing to keep in mind is the new breed of air rifles/pellets are too powerful for the average air rifle pellet traps. 1000fps rifles will shoot through them. My sons rifle was only a 600fps model.

My son shot his first duck at 6 years old with a shotgun.

With that said, every kid is different. I think some kids shouldn't shoot a pellet gun at 16.

My kid I had shooting at 4. Obviously with very VERY close personal supervision. But now at 12 years old as of last week, he is more concious with a firearm than many adults are.

Git er done! The boy needs to start now by the sounds of it.

Bottom line is if you think he's ready, then he is ready. This is part of the hunting tradition that gets lost on many youth because guns are too dangerous ect. If you teach them young, they will have a healthy respect for firearms. I say go for it.

Tunrevir~

as long as you can get it past the wife, your good to go!

my boy has two bb guns, a blow gun, a throwing tomahawk, fifteen pounds of knives, one of which he just started throwing yesterday, a shot gun, a 22 and a 40 lb browning bow.

I think if you think he's ready, and you won't get clobbered by your bride, put a smile on your kids face christmas morning, that none of you will forget.

hey, make sure you get the video camera ready wink

I was 12 when I got my first gun, a .22 cal. You know your kid more than us so if you say he's ready then maybe he is. Giving him infos on guns and safety is first, then let him handle the gun and see how he does. You'll know for sure if he's ready or not. Remember your teachings will last a lifetime and will be more than enough for him if he is very interested in getting one for himself.

go by what it says on the box and use it as good information by the manufacturer, how mature can he be at 6? most likely not any where near 10. just keep taking him along when you shoot and teach him the safety bit and he'll be more ready when he's say 8.

Beware of buying one of the lower powered guns if he will be using it for hunting soon, as he will "outgrow" it shortly. Gave our 5yr old one for Christmas, and ended up giving him a pump up model for 6th birthday. Control the amount of pumps until you're sure of his responsibility, and you've bought him a gun that can last him into adulthood.

My son got a red rider when he was 6. He cant even touch it unless I am helping him. I don't even let him cock the lever action by himself and he is now 8 but he does love to shoot it. It has been very good practice for him to get into the habit of always clicking the safety on before handing it to me to cock the action. Then he has to take the safety off before shooting and then put the safety back on. Now it's automatic to him.

Alot depends on what he's been exposed to. Our's for instance, has been shooting bow since about 3.5, so most of the " whats beyond the target, everyone behind you when you shoot" type of things had been worked on for a couple of years already. Just the safe gun handling stuff to work on after the gun. And if they are really into it, they soak it up like a sponge!

The younger the better, but you gotta be there for him. And never to early to start talking about ethics, and everything else that goes with it. Mine had a bb gun at 3, and started shooting a bow at 4. Age 6 for the .22, and 8 till he was physically big enough to handle a shotgun. He treats guns with respect, and better than a lot of adults I see. And I don't have to worry about him if he's over at a friend's house and that kid hasn't been exposed to guns and finds his dad's gun laying around - he knows what to do and they're not a plaything.

as long as you can get it past the wife, your good to go!

hey, make sure you get the video camera ready wink

Yeah I've been talking to her for a few weeks now. she's on the same page as me now that she knows that it will be safe for him with me watching him. I guess we are going to get him one. Thank for the camera advise. Thats a good call. I think i'm more excited then My son will be. MY BOYS GETTIN HIS FIRST GUN!!!!!! grin Thanks for the replys guys.

i guess its always a parents discretion thing i mean i had mine at like 6 or 7 but there are some adults who shouldn't even be able to own one...so its decision...for me it was just a great way to learn and had it got the crow and squirells out of our bird feeders

I remember getting a bb gun at 10, a .22 at 14, & a shotgun at 15 I think. I think they were a little late, but my Dad wasn't that into hunting. I don't think you need to rush it though, I was psyched when I finally got those guns.

My son got a bb gun at 7, & now has a .410/.22 combo at 10. He can't use that by himself yet, but he's not that into the hunting so he hasn't carried it that much yet either. It's different for every kid.

My son was shooting a BB gun at the ripe age of 6 or so only while I was there. He started to shoot a .410 shotgun at the age of 10 also only under my supervision.

Most young kids can learn to handle a weapon with good adult supervision.

both my boys started at 6yrs old. you need to promote gun saftey all the time to them so they understand that this is a fun thing but not a toy. the excitement that my boys showed was unmatchable to any thing else. and I had as much fun watching them also

Like Harvey Lee my oldest now 12 strated shooting a 20 ga and duck hunting at 10 and my other son just started this yr at 10 with a 20 ga.

have fun and enjoy it.