• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you prefer company, or alone?

titelines

Wow, I must be the gregarious one here. I prefer company about every time I go.

Couldn't have said it better myself:

Fishing is much more fun while sharing the good times and making memories with others.

I used to fish by myself all the time as a kid. Now I always want someone to go with. I think that may change as I explore new home waters this next year. I just love planning a trip or winging it with a last minute call to a buddy.

Whether alone or with company, fishing beats working and just about everything else.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather have folks along. I've opened my seats to a lot of FMrs and have made some great friends. I do like to get out on my own from time to time jsut to clear my head. But I prefer with someone tagging along.

I prefer fishing with someone in the boat most of the time. About 95% of the time I fish with my buddy, but there are a few times where I will wander off on my own. I like having the company in the boat and with two of us, we can usually break down a bite faster.

Now on the ice, I am like tunrevir, I like to have people with when going to a known producer, but when searching I like to go at it alone or have a select few good sticks with me. There is something to be said about selecting your ice searching team based upon their skill set. Moving and playing the run and gun game with people that are used to it is a lot easier than taking my uncle.

is a lot easier than taking my uncle.

............Or boilerguy. grin

While I do my fair share of fishing alone, I prefer to be with my pals. We have a habit of making memories on the lake that we pick on each other about later, and over and over and over again. There are certain times on the lake I'm really glad I brought a camera along and these times MUST be shared with friends.

Here's a fresh twist, I really enjoy going fishing with people I've never met before. A-la HSO get togethers. Appledorns first fall frenzy was an event where I met a big gob of pretty cool dudes, and even went fishing with a few of em. That was an event to remember, even though I had to give up a buck. grin I spent a weekend at a cabin for Slabfest one year with a bunch of dudes I never met before, and now we're great pals. Sarah Saturday, I met a whoppin butt-load of really neat people and fished with them all, and now we get together from time to time.

Enjoy your moments either alone or with others. While I prefer to share them with others, if others can't come along I'm still going fishing.

I like either... In the boat I like being alone mostly cause i can go and check things out and try new things and not worry about tangling lines. In the winter if Im setting up the house and sitting, I like the company. If I'm on the move I like going and going and searching out the fish by myself unless Im with someone who can keep up! grin

I like help launching and loading the boat. Much quicker and easier with two.

I also like to share the memories with another, but like to go alone at times too.

The pics are easier if someone else is there, but they typically don't take as good of pics as I do. Somehow I always look a little dorky. Must be the camera guy laugh

This is a great topic. I've thought about asking this myself .

I like to have company to share some laughs but I really savor my alone time on the water. I can move around as much or as little as I want or sometimes when the water is clear I just stare into the bottom and watch the fish swim by. Last weekend when everybody was hunting, I had a local reservoir almost all to myself. I had a blast just watching a bunch of turkeys strutting along the shoreline. I always will catch more fish by myself because I concentrate a lot more.

This being said, I'd never turn anybody down if they want to fish with me.Fishing is fun no matter who your with.

Alone mostly... Although it's just as well to take others! either other fishermen, the kids, or even if my wife goes with(she doesn't fish, but likes being on the water) it's all just as good!

one of the truths of life is there ain't no such thing as a bad day fishing.

The bulk of my fishing is done alone because the other half can't get out with me that easily. I don't mind fishing alone, but it is nice to have someone to yak with every once and a while. I have a neighbor that I fish with occasionally and he is great fun, and of course the other gals I have met on the GTG's are a riot to fish with.

I guess 90% of the time I go alone. My schedule doesn't line up well with other people's schedules. It's fine... I enjoy time alone. I usually catch more fish while alone, because I can focus on it more, and there's no one along to complain about walking / paddling another mile to the hot spot. I can tune the radio to whatever the hack I want to, and I don't feel the need to make conversation.

I do like taking my wife out, and watching her catch a good fish is as good (if not better) than catching one myself. But since she doesn't really care to go that often, I usually just kiss her goodbye and tell her I'll be back in a couple hours.

I fish alone a little off shore, but for everything else I have someone with me. I fish with my dad 95% of the time. There are a few reasons for this: he has a really nice boat and between him and myself we can figure fish out very fast, usually. Although if he is out of town I will recruite one of my buddies or brothers to go with, but still use his boat, of course. My younger brother has been coming with my dad and I more often this summer and that is alot of fun. I just hafta remeber to bring my A-game on those days because it is a serious competittion. My brother will never let me forget earlier this summer when I told him he cast on the wrong side if the log (it went down to the bottom the other direction) and he ended up catching a 6lb bass.

I fish alone mostly because of different schedules. There's good and bad things about it. It's easier for me to move around more, but nobody there to share the time and memories with.

I prefer to fish with someone else. A couple of years ago I was fishing on the Brule and my heart went into Atrial Fibrillation (irregular heart beat). It isn't life threatening but your heart ends up pumping less efficiently than normal. Well, my truck was parked up a hill and it took me about an hour and a half to crawl my way up to the truck (a normal 10-15 minute walk). Then I had a nice hour drive to an ER in Duluth where they could check me out. So, I prefer to fish with a buddy as a safety precaution. Even on a boat in the metro area where you have good cell coverage it's too easy to get yourself into a bad situation (wave knocks you off your feet, you fall into the lake, are unconsious and drown). It's much safer to have a buddy around to help you out (and take pictures of that 60" Muskie you catch).

Last night was just another good example of why I love to fish with others. We were out Sturgeon fishing and I got to experience a rookie catching his first one and a Saavy Veteran catching his biggest. Just doesn’t get any better than that.

I like to be alone but if someone wants to come I will let em It seems I do better when by myself becuase I have everything my way and not havin to do it thier way or help them. I do fish with others a lot but just like it better when Im alone I can go were I want whenever I want...

ducking is a little different I usually want someone to come with as its really hard to pick up all the decoys by yourself although I do it by myself on the week days...

I have the same condition and I know what you mean. Really frightening when it happens while you are alone, I had it happen once when I was about 15 feet off the ground on a ladder.

I normally fish alone, only because when I decide to go, I walk down to the lift, lower the boat and go. My son and I have had some very good times when he is here, that is my normal fishing partner. I guess you could consider him normal anyways, sometimes I even wonder about that.

Regards to all, Darrell

Myself i dont mind company allways nice to kill time with someone that likes the outdoors as much as myself.I also dont mind fishing alone and do i would say half the time to search out new spots and some spots that i wont take anyone 2 so fishing alone has its moments.

I never fish alone...just might not be any people around wink I don't usually make fishing plans too far in advance so when I get the go, I go. Its usually alone but theres nothing wrong with spending quality time with a bud. I've spent many hours with some great fisherman.

It all depends on who I'm fishing with. I've wasted the last couple years fishing with a whiny retired guy who always has a negative attitude about the fishing and always has to get back home early for some kind of meeting. If in the right company, I like the companionship. It's nice to have some friendly competition. It's also nice to have the company when driving 2 hours to the lake and 2 hours back. Fishing alone can be more relaxing at times though.