• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Beers

caseymcq

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another good summer seasonal is Honey Moon. It is a honey pilsner put out by Blue Moon. IMO, it is better than Honey Weiss.

South Shore Brewery has a really good honey pilsner too.

I think Big Sky puts out a honey pilsner, I am going to make a point of trying that one.

Honey Moon is very good. They put out very good beers. Avoid the Harvest Moon. Pumpkin spice should never be a beer flavor. That's just wrong.

Don't fruit the beer and definitely don't vegetable the beer.

I went to the boose store in town here yesterday and seen the stack of Lakemaid, had to pick up a 12!

I was just thinking about Lakemaid the other day and was hoping they would bring it back out again.

I'll have to take a look around to see if I can find some. Might have to pick up a case or 20.

I didn't read all the way through this but I did read a few of the "girly" beer posts about putting lemon in it. This started when beer was making it's way to the new world. The main reason was to cover the "skunkiness" from being exposed to heat and sunlight (the main enemies of beer). The second reason they found was that citrus prevented scurvy, so why not put it in your beer and kill two birds with one stone.

Now a days the lemon/orange goes in mainly due to tradition but also to hide the skunkiness of some of todays beers (ie. Corona) due to clear bottles. The citrus is also mainly used today to cover up the yeasty flavor of the modern wheat beer.

Ok, back to the original post...

South Shore Nut Brown is a great beer (but you know that already)

Schell's makes FireBrick (very good)

Anything by New Belgium (Skinny Dip is about to come out and it is amazing!)

and of course, my personal favorite High Life

One that sticks out during the winter is the seasonal brew from Michelob called Winter's Bourbon CaskAle. Very tasty. Another one that tastes great when your really thirsty, like during a sauna is the "honeybear", Leiney's Honeyweiss and Berryweiss combined.

Anybody tried Summit Red Ale or know where I can get my hands on some?

Oh, is it good! Like a little milder version of Surly Furious (an AMAZING brew).

If it's not on your favorite bottle shop shelves now, it will be soon.

I think it's obvious what I think a good beer is.....

Funny thing is I'm cheap and am drinking a schmidt right now!!! Might have to change my name. And I also love the Lakemaid. On a side note, and part of the original question, does anyone know who makes a nut brown from Ashland Wisconsin. I had it a few years ago and it was fantastic. If it's buried somewhere amongst these pages I apoligize but I don't want to read them all.