• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting quiet

ikeslayer

With fall aproaching my favorite board is starting to get awefully quiet and i don't like it. i am sure people are chasing Geese and Deer but i am looking to do less of that this fall and chase more bass. I read Agape's (Wayne Ek's) Article on teh fall crawl that he wrote a while ago and got me regitty for fall. Wondering if there are any hardcore fall guys out there and what everyones favorite fall strategies and techniques are

ike

Ike-good post... fall usually means fish going shallow. I like shallow cranks a lot. One Minus, Footloose, DT3 I think are great lures to throw from here on out. Jig N Pig is always a great option as well...

I like to do river fishing in the fall, Ray and I hit the St.Croix last weekend. Its not ready yet... We ended up with a dozen smallies between the 2 of us. I had one on that was over 4, but lost it boat side. I also was robbed of a smallie.. felt bad about it.. was reeling in a small one, about 9" and boatside, a pike inhaled it. Tah tah to the smallie and the crankbait in its yapper.

This is when the big girls come out and play. Kids are in school, rec boaters have given it up, dudes are hunting, bugs and cottonwood are gone, surface and subsurface slime is dissapearing. In other words, time for me to start some hawg hunting. laugh

Think big fish, think big baits, think big.

It's not a numbers game anymore, it's size that matters to this guy, especially this time of year. I gotta personal best I need to beat, coming up on the five year anniversery of that catch in about a month. Someday it will fall, and odds are it will be during the fall.

I love to fish the Miss for smallmouth in fall. They are just too easy to catch to not take advantage (thank goodness for the fall ban on harvest). Last friday morning we (wife and myself) caught 20 smallmouth with 12 being 19" or better none over 20" though. Fishing like that is why fall is so fun, #'s of large fish that you don't see much of in the summer, less people, and perfect weather. Now if I could only tame this desire to be on the deer stand.

Dude! regitty is not a word. What are you doing Saturday? Come on up to God's country and we'll hit one or two of the major lakes within 5 minutes of my house.

In the fall I love using minnow cranks near pencil reeds - I catch some bonus sticklebacks doing that. I also like spinnerbaits and swim jigs.

Things are really weird right now. I've caught some walleyes in 2 feet of water at night, as well as bass and crappies, and there are big carp in there too. We need a cool down!!!

Chuck

Well, I can say that as this weather has cooled off, I've been getting out even more often. Not my super outtings like I could do when the daylight hours lasted alot longer, but I'll be out there 2-3 times a week through late October or even early Nov depending on what kind of weather we get this year. Definitely been starting to crank more as this water cools down, and finding plenty of fish shallow which I love. Great time to get those friends out that aren't real experienced or haven't gotten to catch many fish! This is the time to get'em hooked. whistle

This fish was just this past Sat. (20.25" ~5lb) and I hope to top it very soon. Still need a fish to hit that 5.5 or 6lb mark for my personal best! 6lb was my goal and I'm still trying to get it.

Aaron%2020.25in%20Bryant%209-20-08_640.j

was that above taylors falls.

i had a buddy take second at the silverado toc on green lake(chisago)got most fish out deep on the rocks and one shallow. winner was pat martin fishing shallow. bags were not what there were a month ago for frankies tourney.

Nope, that was one of my fav metro lakes. (Didn't even know where Taylors Falls was till I just looked it up confused) Couldn't believe how many people were out there fishing too! Was the first time I had ever seen the boat landing full in the 3 yrs I've been fishing this lake regularly. Not a big lake though, and I've actually caught 6 or 7 fish now in that lake just at or slightly above 20". Seems to be the magic number to beat. Either way, I think alot of guys had the same idea about getting out this time of year based on what I've been seeing.

I will fish more between now and freeze-up than any other time of the year and I get out 3-4 times a week all spring/summer long. Duffman said about all I need to say about the Fall bite--I couldn't agree more. I have an appointment with a 23"er this Fall.

I'll continue to fish up untill the accesses get a thin film of ice on them in the a.m. I've had success burning lipless cranks shallow and out to the first break looking for aggressive fish that will react. I think when you can get into a group of fish on that first break you can get into some of the most fantastic fishing of the year. Great to go through the progression of finding fish, catching the aggressive ones then slowing things down to pick off the larger less temped fish. Not only can you get numbers but also some better quality fish as well.

It sounds like the fishing up there has been great, wish I could enjoy it. The fishing down here in Mo has been terrible, to much rain, the water is stained, and the fish smasll. Should be up for turkey day, maybe get some fishing in then if it isn't froze up