Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
toughguy

How do you attach your reels?

47 posts in this topic

It seems that most high end ice poles don't have a way to attach the reel. I have always used electrical tape to attach them. Are there any other ways that you guys are using?

There are other ways, friction tape is one.. I have never had a problem with high quality eletric tape.. There is a difference. Get the good eletrical tape and be happy!

Ya I just use a good grade electrical tape and havent had any problems. I have used the "Friction" tape and that good as well.

Electrical tape here. Wouldn't friction tape make your hands black? Plus it is sticky, which would be kinda annoying.

electrical tape. I like to use as little as possible

i use the small plastic zip ties

I have used zip ties also in the past, but I prefer electric tape.

Masking tape and then elec tape. The masking tape helps keep the goo of the cork from the elec tape when I change reels from ice rods to summer rods.

I agree, pay the extra $1 and get the good electrical tape. That junk wrap is as worthless as the day is long. If you lace up the cheap stuff wait til a nice pike hits. You'll get a chance to watch your reel slide from side to side

I've always used zip ties but i might have to try electrical tape this year.

I'm with Harvey ... I use a layer of 1" masking tape directly on the cork, then tape the reel on with quality electrical tape.

Biggest pain is getting the reel perfectly aligned with the rod guides - I'm very anal about getting it perfect. Anyone have any trick to getting the reel aligned with the guides?

Masking tape and then elec tape. The masking tape helps keep the goo of the cork from the elec tape when I change reels from ice rods to summer rods.

I think thats how Thorne bros puts them on also.?

Great info on the masking tape, thank you.

It seems that most high end ice poles don't have a way to attach the reel. I have always used electrical tape to attach them. Are there any other ways that you guys are using?
For a really clean look use elec heat shrink tube.

3m super 33+ electrical tape. Also if you dont have any masking tape you could always reverse wrap the electrical tape to keep it from gumming up your cork. It will also give you a chance to stick your reel on the rod to line it up with the eyes

The electrical tape that I like is the 3M scotch 35 because it comes in a variety of colors other then black and it has a ton of stretch when wrapping it around the rod. The one thing that helps when you wrap it real tight and have stretched the tape is to wrap it loose on the last couple of wraps so the tape won't recede and leave sticky residue on the tape. I wrap my rods with one layer and cut it and then wrap with the reel so there is always a impression of the reel on the tape so you know where to put the reel on next year and when you remove the tape it will not pull any cork off.

Masking tape then Electrical tape. Makes it real easy clean off the cork handles.

elec tape, sometimes I wish I could do this to my open water rigs but its hard to find tennesse(sp) handles in the right actions.