• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What bed do you sleep on?

Stickjiggler

Oh boy, you're in my wheelhouse now. I used to sell beds here in Detroit Lakes. First, try as many beds as you can and don't just flop down on one and go to the next. You really need to stay on one for fifteen minutes to get an idea of how comfortable it is. This is very hard for most people to do. They just feel uncomfortable lying down in a store for that long a period of time.

Second, price is not how to judge a bed. Everybody is different. Base your decision on comfort, then look at the price.

Next, no-flip mattresses will get a body impression in them. They are built for comfort, not nessesarily longevity. The body impression is the mattresses way of adjusting to your body contours. After you get an impression, you should start sleeping more soundly because the support will be more even. There are maximum depths of body impressions that each company will allow. Find out what it is and have them show you how to measure it.

If you look for a coil mattress, coil count is as improtant as your health and size. The more coils, the more support. The type of coils can be a factor. Individual wrapped coils tend to drift apart form each other. They have a history of being returned more often. Find coils that are strung together and where the coils turn in opposite directions from each other as they sit side by side. This has something to do with the coils being turned the same way allowing the system to drift one direction or another and the one with coils spun against each other kind of fight for their spot keeping them compressing straight.

My experience with premium matresses is that we sold Tempurpedic and not the Sleep Number Beds. Whenever I found out someone had a Sleep Number, I would ask them how they liked it. About half said it was the best thing they had ever purchased, half said it was a waste of money. 50% is not a good rate of satisfaction.

Tempurpedic- The heat issue. The bed itself does not sleep warm. There are air pockets in the viscoelastic foam. This helps to dissapate your heat away from you. You will, however, create more heat sleeping on one because you get superior support where your body is evenly supported. This means you are getting a healthier sleep. It may be a trade off in terms, but the heat differential is not significant.

Sagging issue- Since The Tempurpedic is made with layers of a higher quality viscoelastic foam, the standards of body impressions is much higher. A tradtional mattress company usually allows and inch and a half to two inches before they will consider it a quality issue. Temporpedic allows something like a half inch.

There is a reaon that Tempurpedic gives a 90 night trial period. It is a strange feeling bed. Some people can take up to a month to just get used to the feel of the bed. Our owner took almost that long to "give in", if you will, to the bed. This is also an improtant feature of the bed. You will sink and create a body impression every night. At first, you will feel like the bed is hugging you and not allowing you to toss and turn. Once you "give in to the bed" you will start to feel how even the support is. This will in turn reduce your tossing and turning at night. In coil mattresses, the coils are all the same strength throughout the bed. The viscoelastic foam sort of gives you more support through your midsection where you have the most weight and less in the body parts that weigh less like your legs. It's sort of a graduated support. The more your body pushes down the more it supports. This evens out the feeling on your body which in turn reduces your body movements, or tossing and turning.

Another thing the visco foam does for you is to deaden what few movements you have at night. This will not allow your movements to transfer to the other side of the bed. You could literally do cartwheels on your side of the bed and your partner should hardly feel a thing.

Of course, money spent is usually the determining factor when most people purchase their mattress, so we sold quite a few more Sertas and Restonic mattresses. By far, the highest satisfaction came from those who bought a Tempurpedic. I think we only had three brought back in the three years or so that we sold them. Two of those were people that didn't like them during the three month trial period and one of those guys didn't give the bed a chance (his brother was mad at him about returning it and told us this). There was only one mattress returned because it didn't do what they said it would do.

I would recommend buying your mattress from a dealer. You could order a Temporpedic directly from the company but it should be the same price as in the store. They control their prices so a retailer that discounts their beds will have their rights to sell them taken away. Do not expect them to deal on a Tempurpedic like they mught a traditional spring bed.

You might have guessed, I sleep on a Tempurpedic. If you can find the funds for the adjustable base, it is a great investment. I can elevate my feet and head to get in a position similar to that of a rocker recliner. Think about this, if you fall asleep in a rocker recliner you usually wake up in the same position. It is a comfortable position to sleep in. The half hour message feature is pretty high up on the cool list too. Last thing, I, until recently, weighed over 300lbs and have been sleeping on the bed for over two and a half years. It is still flat as the day I bought it.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck.

Sleep Number. Also , one thing nobody ever seems to mention (even the sales person) is that each side is actually a serarate matress so that one person can toss/turn/flip and the other person does not feel a thing.

My wife and I love our temperpedic. They have a few different lines, we went with the middle priced one at about 2k for a queen. It is not hotter than any other mattress. If one of you tosses and turns more then temper is the way to go. Plus it is nice being able to get out of bed without affecting the other person. Never tried a sleep # bed but I hate the ads for them.

I know I'm still young but the pillow is a big part of the piece to. If I had a choice I would sleep on them deals right below mamas chin wink but it gets to warm. so I end up back on the pillow

Cicada thanks for all the great info. I know sleep should be a priority over all else but with the wife in school I will just have to wait till funds do become available I definitely want to try a Tempurpedic out for the 90 day trail. The last 3 mattresses I have bought seem to last a year or 2 and then they just go down hill no matter how many times you flip them so I guess its time for change.

depends on the night, sometimes our king, but some it's my daughters when a bad dream happens or my son's when he can't sleep, but I know when it's time for us to get a new bed we will be seriously looking at a sleep number

We have a pillow top of some sort. My inlaws have a sleep number in there guest bedroom and I dont care for it at all. I feel like we are sleeping on a camping air mattress.

Tried the tempurepedic and didn't like it. The dealer told us the sleep number was a waste for us because I can sleep on anything and my wife is the one who needs a certain feel so just by the bed the has the right feel for her. We ended up going with the new latex beds. No sagging ever! No bed bugs can ever get into the material. My wife also has a very bad back and would go to the Chiropractor 1-2 times a month. She hasn't gone since going on 5 months now.

Cicada, what is your take on the visco elastic toppers. I couldn't talk wife into the matress but she went for the topper 2" and loves it. I am thinking that we are not getting the full benefits with the topper. I am also a little confused about the different weights that the visco matresses come in. Some say lighter weight is better and allows some easier movement.

I just got a Sleep Number, and I fought my fiance tooth and nail to not purchase it, but boy am I glad she did! No more sore back in the morning, no more tossing and turning and the ability to adjust it at the push of a button is a huge plus!

Sorry, kind of forgot about this post. To answer a few questions.

Jim916: I would check out Tempurpedic's HSOforum for the differences. It's beeen about two years since I sold them and things usually change every two years in the bedding industry.

Chasineyes:You can't use two twins to support a king. King is 76x80 and twins are 38x75. The width would be right but the length is shorter. If you can get two extra long twins, that would work.. Really, you won't be saving that much money and a lot of mattress companies won't warranty the mattress if it's not supported by a new box system that matches the mattress. They said that when a mattress fails, most times it was because the box didn't support he mattress properly. One other thing to mention. If this is your first king, you should expect hump between the two of you in time. This is caused by the split box under a king. Where the two boxes come together in the middle will have firmer support and won't allow the mattress to sag with the rest of the mattress.

justhavinfun: The topper will only be as good as the mattress under it. If the traditional foams in the mattress sag, the topper will follow that contour and sag. The different weights are equal to the density of the foam. When I sold there was 3lb foam and 5.3lb foam. This is the weight of one cubic foot of foam. The more it weighs, the more support it provides. As we went from tradtional furniture to Amish furniture, Tempurpedic was coming out with a 7lb foam. I would think the comment about lighter foam being easier to move in is backwards. The lighter foam would be softer and you wuld sink more in it, making for more restricted movement.

Stickgiggler: Congrats, that is an awesome buy. Tempurpedic controls the sale price that a store can charge. If they charge less, they risk losing their license to sell them. They can discount if they are going out of business or quit selling Tempurpedic and are blowing out exsisting inventory and floor models.