• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Night Bird ID...

RebelSS

A "peep" call last night, for hours until the storm hit. It was hot and humid, and this bird was peeping for hours...any idea what it is?

Go to 1:28 thru 1:38 of video; you can hear it.

I also have no idea what the "camera noise" is...static? Never had that before, and then it quits....

M4H03351.MP4

Nope. None of those. You guys must all be deaf...the peeps are distinct! Just quiet background, then one peep or squeak....then another, very soft... First one at 1:27, then one at 1:30, 1:32....a "peep" or :whistle", then a few more..turn up yer hearing aids! Or get  a computer with decent sound technology!

Looks like the experts on here can't do it, either.

1 hour ago, roony said:

I tried as best I could to identify that whistle or call. My efforts aren't appreciated.:(

Yers always are, roony! I'll be outside again off and on, and when I hear it again, I'm gonna light it up with my tactical light. THAT'LL show me what it is!!! Besides, we know a group that'll take this one to town, don't we? ;)  :lol:

I did a "Google Boy" imitation and tried to find night calling birds in Minnesota. The only thing I came up with that might be a possibility is a mockingbird. As the name implies, they have a wide range of vocalization. 

Did that too, Roony....and whip-poor-wills---you name it. I'm stumped. I still think it's some type of swallow or flycatcher; can't tell ya why I feel that. Gonna talk to a chick I know at the nature center here in a couple days and see what she thinks.I've only heard it when it's warm at night...thought at first it was a frog or peeper, but then it called as it flitted by. I even thought about flying squirrels ans some type of bats...heard all their calls, too...I'm stumped. Warm, humid at night....skeetos were out, and bugs last night...that might bring out a certain bug eating bird......hmmmm....I'm working on it!!

I didnt hear anything the first minute so quit listening, read the post above about starts at 127.  so listened from 120... LOL  Sounds like a thrush or mockingbird chirp to me. for sure not a flying squirrel, they squeak. :) 

26 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Birder at the nature center identified the bird call for me this morning.

well.....................................what is it???????????:angry::confused: da suspense is killing me!!!!!!!! or is this silly to ask???????????????:/