Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Tom7227

Thoughts on a new front door

5 posts in this topic

Heading towards replacing a new front door.  The current one has a window on either side and the door is solid wood.  It was recommended that we consider ThermaTru door with a fiberglass construction.  We haven't even begun to go to any stores or anything.  Anyone have some ideas on ThermaTru?  Fiberglass construction?   Other manufacturers.  

I want a door that will last.  I am not looking for the cheapest door but I also don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

We went with steel doors, insulated insides.   They are working well.

Fiberglass should be good too.   

I don't know about brands.  

They are good doors. Pretty much all are made to a standard.Get one with an adjustable threshold.

We put in a Therma Tru door with prism-ed glass oval and matching sidelights about 8 years ago.  The oval insulated double pain failed, but they replaced it at no charge.  Really no issues since.  From time-to-time the door with creak (that's noise) during temperature changes.  Again, overall it is a nice door.  

We do have very tall interior ceilings and a window above the door - if I were to do it again, i'd consider eliminating the overhead window and put in a 10 foot door.  We needed to and a header above the door in this case to maintain warranty as Therma Tru would not allow the door to bear overhead weight.

I don't have any experience with Therma Tru but we put in a Feather River fiberglass door 10 years ago and it still looks like new. Because of a jog in the house it only gets a couple hours of direct sunlight for 3 or 4 months a year so the exterior of the door hasn't faded at all.