• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thoughts on a new front door

Tom7227

Heading towards replacing a new front door.  The current one has a window on either side and the door is solid wood.  It was recommended that we consider ThermaTru door with a fiberglass construction.  We haven't even begun to go to any stores or anything.  Anyone have some ideas on ThermaTru?  Fiberglass construction?   Other manufacturers.  

I want a door that will last.  I am not looking for the cheapest door but I also don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

We put in a Therma Tru door with prism-ed glass oval and matching sidelights about 8 years ago.  The oval insulated double pain failed, but they replaced it at no charge.  Really no issues since.  From time-to-time the door with creak (that's noise) during temperature changes.  Again, overall it is a nice door.  

We do have very tall interior ceilings and a window above the door - if I were to do it again, i'd consider eliminating the overhead window and put in a 10 foot door.  We needed to and a header above the door in this case to maintain warranty as Therma Tru would not allow the door to bear overhead weight.

I don't have any experience with Therma Tru but we put in a Feather River fiberglass door 10 years ago and it still looks like new. Because of a jog in the house it only gets a couple hours of direct sunlight for 3 or 4 months a year so the exterior of the door hasn't faded at all.

Buy the best door you can afford. I installed a steel clad Peach Tree door on the front of my place mainly because it faces south and there is a big temp difference during the day. I paid 600.00 for it, not much for a door these days but thirty years ago I had the father in law scratching his head when we put it in. My back door is out of the sun and I went with an all glass Morgan door, 300.00 I think it was still looks almost brand new after all of these years. Love the light that it lets it. Both have adjustable thresholds and we keep an eye on the weather-stripping. Stay away from the box store bargain doors unless it is rental property. Another thing is don't go cheap on the lock sets, you get what you pay for. Also reinforce the jam on the lock side while you are replacing the door.

5 hours ago, Bobby Bass said:

Buy the best door you can afford. I installed a steel clad Peach Tree door on the front of my place mainly because it faces south and there is a big temp difference during the day. I paid 600.00 for it, not much for a door these days but thirty years ago I had the father in law scratching his head when we put it in. My back door is out of the sun and I went with an all glass Morgan door, 300.00 I think it was still looks almost brand new after all of these years. Love the light that it lets it. Both have adjustable thresholds and we keep an eye on the weather-stripping. Stay away from the box store bargain doors unless it is rental property. Another thing is don't go cheap on the lock sets, you get what you pay for. Also reinforce the jam on the lock side while you are replacing the door.

And watch them break the glass on the back door and step in.    :D

23 hours ago, delcecchi said:

The question was in regards to doors. As for breaking glass and entering the home I will remind you that locks only keep honest people out, if someone wants to get in to your house they will. . So my glass door on my house has been there for thirty years and guess what Del... no one has broken it yet!

Edited by Bobby Bass

23 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Maybe you need one of these. Just got dropped off to stain and clear coat. 

8' tall. 4' wide, 2" thick laminated alder with 4 heavy duty hinges, a peep door and a 3 strike locking system. :D

IMG_20170227_170936769.jpg

2 hours ago, Bobby Bass said:

The question was in regards to doors. As for breaking glass and entering the home I will remind you that locks only keep honest people out, if someone wants to get in to your house they will. . So my glass door on my house has been there for thirty years and guess what Del... no one has broken it yet!

So, why bother with locks?  Honest people won't take your stuff even if the door is unlocked.  

I am in the camp that I want to make it at least a little difficult for the crooks.  

Especially since three people in our family have had their houses burgled and stuff taken.

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

So, why bother with locks?  Honest people won't take your stuff even if the door is unlocked.  

I am in the camp that I want to make it at least a little difficult for the crooks.  

Especially since three people in our family have had their houses burgled and stuff taken.

This is Del's front door:

del's door.jpg

On 2/17/2017 at 6:13 AM, Tom7227 said:

Heading towards replacing a new front door.  The current one has a window on either side and the door is solid wood.  It was recommended that we consider ThermaTru door with a fiberglass construction.  We haven't even begun to go to any stores or anything.  Anyone have some ideas on ThermaTru?  Fiberglass construction?   Other manufacturers.  

I want a door that will last.  I am not looking for the cheapest door but I also don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

I think you should have to go through this article before doing the door replacement. This will help you choose something better.

I lock the door at night,    If the door gets kicked in it'll wake up the whole house including my guests, Smith&Wesson.

The longevity of doors has a lot to do with quality of install. 

Next would lack of maintenance.

I've seen plenty where everything is in good shape but the bottom of the jambs are rotted. 

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:10 PM, PurpleFloyd said:

Maybe you need one of these. Just got dropped off to stain and clear coat. 

8' tall. 4' wide, 2" thick laminated alder with 4 heavy duty hinges, a peep door and a 3 strike locking system. :D

IMG_20170227_170936769.jpg

now this wood door would go on my castle!  I love how a simple question can turn in 6 replies or less. Must be that time of the year when we have to find some way to entertain ourselves. I know I would post a lot more but I know the thread will turn into something other then it was intended

Now having said that the use of locks depends on where you live, I think I have locked the doors on my house a half a dozen times in the thirty years I have lived here. Never ben broken into, my only building that is locked is my shop.. I read some where that there is a 90 % chance that if you have been robbed it is by  someone who knows you. When my sons snoopy friends come over they are directed out of the yard to inspect flower gardens and not out buildings.:D

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:43 PM, Tom7227 said:

Thanks for your time.

Tom

so Tom did ya find a door?

The contractor aimed us at the Therma Tru.  Went to two stores to check things out, one a big box and the other a real honest to goodness lumber yard.  Sort of bottom line is that it seems that Therma Tru, Pella and one more I can't remember are close to the same price as best you can tell and close to the same construction.  It gets a little nuts when you start to add the sidelights, the leaded glass look, finishes.  Seems nailed down to a particular style of Therma Tru with a bit of leaded glass for around $3500.  Next is going to be endless fiddling with the issue of lack/handle/knob/hinges.  Between the issues of style and color it shouldn't take more than 20 hours or so for the other half to figure it out.