• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

    You know what we all love...

    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Tom7227

Thoughts on a new front door

Recommended Posts

Heading towards replacing a new front door.  The current one has a window on either side and the door is solid wood.  It was recommended that we consider ThermaTru door with a fiberglass construction.  We haven't even begun to go to any stores or anything.  Anyone have some ideas on ThermaTru?  Fiberglass construction?   Other manufacturers.  

 

I want a door that will last.  I am not looking for the cheapest door but I also don't want to spend a fortune.

 

Thanks for your time.

 

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went with steel doors, insulated insides.   They are working well.

 

Fiberglass should be good too.   

 

I don't know about brands.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We put in a Therma Tru door with prism-ed glass oval and matching sidelights about 8 years ago.  The oval insulated double pain failed, but they replaced it at no charge.  Really no issues since.  From time-to-time the door with creak (that's noise) during temperature changes.  Again, overall it is a nice door.  

 

We do have very tall interior ceilings and a window above the door - if I were to do it again, i'd consider eliminating the overhead window and put in a 10 foot door.  We needed to and a header above the door in this case to maintain warranty as Therma Tru would not allow the door to bear overhead weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have any experience with Therma Tru but we put in a Feather River fiberglass door 10 years ago and it still looks like new. Because of a jog in the house it only gets a couple hours of direct sunlight for 3 or 4 months a year so the exterior of the door hasn't faded at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy the best door you can afford. I installed a steel clad Peach Tree door on the front of my place mainly because it faces south and there is a big temp difference during the day. I paid 600.00 for it, not much for a door these days but thirty years ago I had the father in law scratching his head when we put it in. My back door is out of the sun and I went with an all glass Morgan door, 300.00 I think it was still looks almost brand new after all of these years. Love the light that it lets it. Both have adjustable thresholds and we keep an eye on the weather-stripping. Stay away from the box store bargain doors unless it is rental property. Another thing is don't go cheap on the lock sets, you get what you pay for. Also reinforce the jam on the lock side while you are replacing the door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bobby Bass said:

Buy the best door you can afford. I installed a steel clad Peach Tree door on the front of my place mainly because it faces south and there is a big temp difference during the day. I paid 600.00 for it, not much for a door these days but thirty years ago I had the father in law scratching his head when we put it in. My back door is out of the sun and I went with an all glass Morgan door, 300.00 I think it was still looks almost brand new after all of these years. Love the light that it lets it. Both have adjustable thresholds and we keep an eye on the weather-stripping. Stay away from the box store bargain doors unless it is rental property. Another thing is don't go cheap on the lock sets, you get what you pay for. Also reinforce the jam on the lock side while you are replacing the door.

 

And watch them break the glass on the back door and step in.    :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, delcecchi said:

 

And watch them break the glass on the back door and step in.    :D

The question was in regards to doors. As for breaking glass and entering the home I will remind you that locks only keep honest people out, if someone wants to get in to your house they will. . So my glass door on my house has been there for thirty years and guess what Del... no one has broken it yet!

Edited by Bobby Bass
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, delcecchi said:

 

And watch them break the glass on the back door and step in.    :D

Maybe you need one of these. Just got dropped off to stain and clear coat. 

8' tall. 4' wide, 2" thick laminated alder with 4 heavy duty hinges, a peep door and a 3 strike locking system. :D

IMG_20170227_170936769.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bobby Bass said:

The question was in regards to doors. As for breaking glass and entering the home I will remind you that locks only keep honest people out, if someone wants to get in to your house they will. . So my glass door on my house has been there for thirty years and guess what Del... no one has broken it yet!

 

So, why bother with locks?  Honest people won't take your stuff even if the door is unlocked.  

I am in the camp that I want to make it at least a little difficult for the crooks.  

Especially since three people in our family have had their houses burgled and stuff taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

 

So, why bother with locks?  Honest people won't take your stuff even if the door is unlocked.  

I am in the camp that I want to make it at least a little difficult for the crooks.  

Especially since three people in our family have had their houses burgled and stuff taken.

 

This is Del's front door:

 

 

 

del's door.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2017 at 6:13 AM, Tom7227 said:

Heading towards replacing a new front door.  The current one has a window on either side and the door is solid wood.  It was recommended that we consider ThermaTru door with a fiberglass construction.  We haven't even begun to go to any stores or anything.  Anyone have some ideas on ThermaTru?  Fiberglass construction?   Other manufacturers.  

 

I want a door that will last.  I am not looking for the cheapest door but I also don't want to spend a fortune.

 

Thanks for your time.

 

Tom

I think you should have to go through this article before doing the door replacement. This will help you choose something better.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lock the door at night,    If the door gets kicked in it'll wake up the whole house including my guests, Smith&Wesson.

  The longevity of doors has a lot to do with quality of install. 

Next would lack of maintenance.

I've seen plenty where everything is in good shape but the bottom of the jambs are rotted. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:10 PM, PurpleFloyd said:

Maybe you need one of these. Just got dropped off to stain and clear coat. 

8' tall. 4' wide, 2" thick laminated alder with 4 heavy duty hinges, a peep door and a 3 strike locking system. :D

IMG_20170227_170936769.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

now this wood door would go on my castle!  I love how a simple question can turn in 6 replies or less. Must be that time of the year when we have to find some way to entertain ourselves. I know I would post a lot more but I know the thread will turn into something other then it was intended

Now having said that the use of locks depends on where you live, I think I have locked the doors on my house a half a dozen times in the thirty years I have lived here. Never ben broken into, my only building that is locked is my shop.. I read some where that there is a 90 % chance that if you have been robbed it is by  someone who knows you. When my sons snoopy friends come over they are directed out of the yard to inspect flower gardens and not out buildings.:D

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:43 PM, Tom7227 said:

Heading towards replacing a new front door.  The current one has a window on either side and the door is solid wood.  It was recommended that we consider ThermaTru door with a fiberglass construction.  We haven't even begun to go to any stores or anything.  Anyone have some ideas on ThermaTru?  Fiberglass construction?   Other manufacturers.  

 

I want a door that will last.  I am not looking for the cheapest door but I also don't want to spend a fortune.

 

Thanks for your time.

 

Tom

so Tom did ya find a door?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The contractor aimed us at the Therma Tru.  Went to two stores to check things out, one a big box and the other a real honest to goodness lumber yard.  Sort of bottom line is that it seems that Therma Tru, Pella and one more I can't remember are close to the same price as best you can tell and close to the same construction.  It gets a little nuts when you start to add the sidelights, the leaded glass look, finishes.  Seems nailed down to a particular style of Therma Tru with a bit of leaded glass for around $3500.  Next is going to be endless fiddling with the issue of lack/handle/knob/hinges.  Between the issues of style and color it shouldn't take more than 20 hours or so for the other half to figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think fiberglass door is the best option for you. It requires less maintenance and can withstand the temperature fluctuations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • I had all the registration cards and what not I simply just made my own bill of sale.   are the registration cards you talk about just the sticker or are you talking about the sitcker with all the paperwork attached?   previous reply’s asked how long the boat/pwc is. It is 8.91ft  107”
    • Actually ZachD Leech does like this and nice job on the meat. 😎   Leech was just ribbing a few guys waving their big penis grills around and they got all chard about it.   Some of the best Jerk BBQ in the world comes out of a garbage can grill!  So it's not what you got or how big it is. It's what you can do with it.  😉   Keep posting whatcha make. 🙂        
    • Now I just have to pick up the sear box Haha forget leach 😀   Maybe he will approve since I got my SG for 340 bucks
    • Going camping finally for the first time this season this weekend so I rolled a breakfast fatty to take along. I plan to smoke it on my $50 over-priced pellet smoker that Leech doesn't approve of for some reason. I'll try to remember to take some pics.....    
    • If you ever have a hard time controlling temps with that controller you can always switch it out with a Savannah Stoker. https://www.savannahstoker.com/collections/frontpage/products/savannah-stoker-pellet-grill-control-system
    • LOL, you probably have more money into grills and smokers than I do.....
    • Just picked up a camp chef SG the other week pretty stoked about it  
    • I bought a boat before this season the guy I bought it from never transferred it in his name and registration was set to expire.  I had all the registration cards and what not I simply just made my own bill of sale from the "original" owner and scribble his name the best I could from his registration card. The trailer title was easy because the old owner filled out the seller info already and the guy I bought it from never filled out the buyer so I just had to put my info in.   I wasn't about to go track down the original guy when he lived 2 hours away from me. What is the worst that could happen
    • You will probably need that many to make sure you have one that works 😁. The last grill I bought was a top of the line charbroil with the side burner yadda yadda. Nearly $600.  Lasted barely two years with half the burners no longer working right and finally the grates were a rusted mess and it was replaced by a pellet grill.