• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp and other Rough fish pics

HotPocket

nice gothsucker mudcatman.

@pikestabber: there are a few recipes out there on the interwebs that looks good, but I'm gonna mix it up this go round and do some experimenting. Probably gonna try a cajun style smoked fish sausage and I've got a batch of good smoky seasoning salt I'm gonna have to try on another. The old standby fish sausage recipe is pretty much fish and old bay seasoning. can't go wrong.

Hey guys...I'm taking my youngsters out carp\sucker fishing Friday to a local lake and have crawlers, worms, waxies and corn. Is it best to just fish with a plain hook and sinker on the bottom or is there a better way? Also, which of the baits above do you all have the most luck with? If the plain hook and sinker is the ticket...how much line between the hook and sinker...do I want the bait pinned to the bottom or a little room between hook/sinker? Thanks guys...

Hey guys...I'm taking my youngsters out carp\sucker fishing Friday to a local lake and have crawlers, worms, waxies and corn. Is it best to just fish with a plain hook and sinker on the bottom or is there a better way? Also, which of the baits above do you all have the most luck with? If the plain hook and sinker is the ticket...how much line between the hook and sinker...do I want the bait pinned to the bottom or a little room between hook/sinker? Thanks guys...

use a running rig. sinker above a swivel, then 1-2 feet of line. then tie on the hook

a sucker from wednesday, decided to fish for a bit before i had to go to work

GEDC0027.jpg

GEDC0030.jpg

GEDC0029.jpg

GEDC0028.jpg

Jake when are you gonna get a fly rod? Pretty sure you have got the spin fishing thing down.

i have one, actually just picked up a new reel and line. just gotta get a new rod. (the one i have is literally falling apart, probably from all the years of carp lol)

just some cell shots of the carp run

24028_379679899933_696349933_381697.jpg

24028_379680929933_696349933_381699.jpg

@pikestabber: there are a few recipes out there on the interwebs that looks good, but I'm gonna mix it up this go round and do some experimenting. Probably gonna try a cajun style smoked fish sausage and I've got a batch of good smoky seasoning salt I'm gonna have to try on another...

Thanks, DEADhead. I never tire of smoked sucker, but I like to try new things...and smoky, spicy, sucker sausage (in addition to being a tongue twister) sounds pretty darn good!

BAM! went fishing for crappies today. and while walking along the shoreline, i saw something on the bottom. turned out to be the head of a bowfin. it had BURIED itself it leaves! dropped the jig down, and BAM! first bowfin of 2010

Photo-0126.jpg

Photo-0129.jpg

afterward, the rest of the day consisted of walking the shoreline looking for bowfin

BAM! second bowfin of 2010! i named her Gums

Photo-0131.jpg

Photo-0132.jpg

Photo-0133.jpg

BAM! 3rd!

Photo-0137.jpg

Photo-0136.jpg

found another, pitched the jig and minnow to it, and it took it. but got off shortly after the hookset. and it took my minnow... it swam a little way, and then stopped. and i just dropped the PLAIN jig in front of it! BAM!

bow.jpg

Man, Gums has got to be the ugliest Bowfin I've even seen. I would have thought long and hard about putting that one on the wall, just for the conversation piece alone, and putting the dang thing out of its butt-ugly misery. It looks like it had one horrible trip to the dentist or something. That is one fine catch Jake!